Thread: 12 BVSS Single Shot Sled

Basic Member

12 BVSS Single Shot Sled

So my search for a drop in single shot conversion for my Savage BVSS came up with nothing. . Seems there are allot of options out there for other variant savages on the 110 action but none for the blind mag, center feed configuration. That search is somewhat documented here:
    https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...ngle-feed-sled

So after developing the interim fix in the above referenced thread (that worked better than it should have), I went a step further and figured out how to adapt the Score High Bench Rest Follower that I had already purchased from Midway to my purpose. After a little trial and error, here is what I came up with.
    Basically, it's a block of high density foam that measures 1"Wx 1 1/16"Tx 3 1/16" L with the commercial follower glued to the top. (Note: I laminated 1/4" and 1/8" foam with goop glue to make my block because that's what I had on hand. A single block of foam for a base would work just as well though) . The whole assembly is then slip fits into the stocks vacated mag well as a single unit before reassembling the rifle. In this configuration the aluminum follower aligns with and fills the receiver slot near perfectly. In fact, I had to wiggle it a bit to get it to slide in. Only a 3/8"" or so gap behind the follower/ in front of the bolt face exists. The foam block is holds the follower at just the right height to clear the bolt and lays parallel to the bolts movement.
    Anyway, I'm really pleased with the way this looks and functions. I've run a test with100 single feed rounds +/- though the rifle )from both sides of the receiver and in different positions). I regardless of how the round is dropped into the follower, it always centers up and feeds flawlessly. Another nice thing about it is that it's 100% reversible since no mods to the rifle are made at all. The assembly fits the stock with a mild friction fit ( no glue) so can be removed and swapped out with the factory magazine back and forth in minutes. I'm sharing this here for those who may search for a similar fix. Pics below should be helpful. Feel free to ask questions if you want clarification on anything.

p.s. About the only "improvement" I could see in this fix is to have someone scan the assembly and produce it on a 3D printer for a true one piece drop in fix.

Last edited by WeeHooker; 07-04-2023 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Basic Member
    Nice work!

Banned
    Very cool! While I myself am an AICS user, I appreciate any DIY custom project. This is what fabrication is all about. And it’s so much fun.

Basic Member
    Looks like good workmanship and a good fit. You need to bed that stock now.

Team Savage

Nice analytical solution in making that follower work.

Basic Member
    Thanks all. It was both a fun and rewarding project. I'm used to detachable box mag fed rifles and figured I'd try a single shot setup to slow me down. I like the experience allot.
    Will likely bed the rifle soon but first, I've decided to install an Elfmann trigger to get the pull down to the 12-16 oz range I'm accustomed too for a range gun. I'm sure Ill be reporting on the rifles overall progress once I get my loads developed.

Basic Member
    ^ See My Thread on the Elftmann Trigger on the Competitive Shooting Forum ^

Good Luck, Good Shooting

Basic Member
    Actually, I did already. Your post was instrumental in my decision to buy the Elfmann over the rifle Basix. I've ordered the trigger and have a replacement spring coming as well. Thanks much for the info!

Basic Member
    Glad to hear it “WH”.Yesterday I wrote a detailed response to You, but when I went to post it, the site decided I was not logged in (which I clearly was), so it was all lost.

Please keep us informed of Your results.

Basic Member
    Must be a site glitch/software thing. I've actually lost posts several times in the last few weeks in just that way. I'm now building my posts in MS word then cut and pasting them over here. Thanks for the thought though!