Thread: Savage Bolt Baffle/Bolt Stop

Basic Member

Savage Bolt Baffle/Bolt Stop

I'm still very new to the Savage rifle world and the more I read, the more questions that arise. I'm in the process of having a 6BR made up on a Model 10 chassis that will sit in a KRG Bravo chassis stock.

Reading over some internet discussions, some have indicated if you use a chassis stock you need to replace the "baffle/bolt stop".

Here is the part some people seem to be using, XLR Savage Bolt Baffle/Bolt Stop.

Is something like this required?

Basic Member
    It was not on my axis. FYI, you can 'flip' the baffle so the extended portion is on the other side and it allows full bolt movement.

Banned
    Charlie, the Axis & 110 series use a different front baffle.

OP: You do have a 110 series as this is the 110 forum section, correct? Firstly, does yours even have the short cartridge baffle? Look at the picture below. The issue is you’ll be using AICS mags, so the bolt must come back all the way. Also, even if you have the long one, it can simply be cut & sanded smolder smooth. Or machined if you have access.

With longer bolt baffle:

With short bolt baffle:

Banned
    Oh yeah, btw… at this point you should discard all other Interwebs opinions on Savages. THIS forum is the authority on all things related to Savage firearms. And many, many other firearms, really all firearms tech period. Many very knowledgeable people here.

Basic Member
    Can't you still rotate the longer baffle to the other side?

And, yeah, I thought this was in the Axis section :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Can't you still rotate the longer baffle to the other side?

And, yeah, I thought this was in the Axis section :)

No, I don’t believe so because each one has a “rail” protruding. As shown here.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimreed1948 View Post
    I'm still very new to the Savage rifle world and the more I read, the more questions that arise. I'm in the process of having a 6BR made up on a Model 10 chassis that will sit in a KRG Bravo chassis stock.

Is something like this required?
    Your Model 10, what caliber was it chambered in to begin with?
    The long baffle is meant to shorten the length the bolt will travel when open. As far as I know it is only used on short cases such as the 223 because the short case is arranged in the magazine with a spacer to keep it forward. My model 11 was originally a 243 and employed the short baffel and I changed it when I switched to the 223 in it.

So if the rifle was previously a 308 based case head then there is no need to change anything.

Basic Member
    Thanks Dave. I never really look when I've had my Model 12 bolt removed.

I also kinda passed over the 6BR chambering. Do you plan on a magazine feed or single loading? The BR is sometimes not easy to feed from a mag. I know it does not from my 12BVSS blind mag designed for the .308.

Most mags that are set up for the 6 br are blocked in the rear. Like the 223. If you arent going to use mags set up for the 6br you will need the baffle you are looking at other wise the extended one may work for you. These are pics of relevant examples that could be considered. I have never run into this issue so I can't tell you if you use the correct mag or mag with a conversion if you still need a 308 baffle or you can use your current one. Just throwing this out there.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Dave Hoback - OP: You do have a 110 series as this is the 110 forum section, correct? Firstly, does yours even have the short cartridge baffle? Look at the picture below. The issue is you’ll be using AICS mags, so the bolt must come back all the way. Also, even if you have the long one, it can simply be cut & sanded smolder smooth. Or machined if you have access.
    It is a model 10. That's what's imprinted on the barrel and that's what Savage customer service told me when I gave them the SR#. I posted here since in the 110 series on the headed of the forum it shows the model 10 among other models are inclusive on this section. My bolt looks like the one in your second photo. Kinda looks like a Remington bolt knob.

KMW1954 -
    Your Model 10, what caliber was it chambered in to begin with? So if the rifle was previously a 308 based case head then there is no need to change anything.
    It started off as a .308, pencil style barrel.

charlie b -
    I also kinda passed over the 6BR chambering. Do you plan on a magazine feed or single loading? The BR is sometimes not easy to feed from a mag. I know it does not from my 12BVSS blind mag designed for the .308.
    I have both magazines for feeding. For single feed, I plan on using one from MK Machining. For magazine feeding, I'll use the 10 round one from MDT that is set up for the 6BR. It's the same one the Robinhood shows a photo of. I read somewhere that too many rounds in the MDT mag can cause an issue in feeding. I doubt I would ever use more than 5 round in the mag.

Robinhood - The MDT magazine you show is what I have. I've read good reviews on it, but haven't tried it out yet.

Hope to in a couple of weeks when the barreled action is returned to me.

Thanks to all for your replies. They are very helpful for a new Savage shooter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimreed1948 View Post

KMW1954 -
    Your Model 10, what caliber was it chambered in to begin with? So if the rifle was previously a 308 based case head then there is no need to change anything.
    It started off as a .308, pencil style barrel.
    jimreed, the 308 is the parent case for the 6mm BR. They both use the same bolt head. My model 11 started as a 243 which is also the same bolt head as the 6BR. So the only question should be which baffle, the long one or the short one and that should probably be determined by the magazine you will be using.

Banned
    If yours looks like 2nd bolt, it already has the standard Baffle. So you’re gtg. Nothing extra is needed. Go ahead & get’r done!