Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage getting it done.....

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Fuj,

You may have covered it before but why did you settle on 7mm instead of the others. Just curious as I will stick with my 6mm and .30.

Sent from my SM-P613 using Tapatalk
    Never been a "carbon copy" guy. I shoot what I develop. Biggest problem with the 284/7mm is,
    there are no bullets for the short game being made. Sierra had a great one a few years back but
    quit making them. I bought out their remaining inventory to keep the ELF going for 2 more years.
    I have an order in for Lapua's Scenars to test in my SA284 but probably won't see them for months
    to come. And Berger has nothing either or does Nosler. Just long range bullets.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    Never been a "carbon copy" guy. I shoot what I develop. Biggest problem with the 284/7mm is,
    there are no bullets for the short game being made. Sierra had a great one a few years back but
    quit making them. I bought out their remaining inventory to keep the ELF going for 2 more years.
    I have an order in for Lapua's Scenars to test in my SA284 but probably won't see them for months
    to come. And Berger has nothing either or does Nosler. Just long range bullets.
    Interesting. Fuj’, what would you call the differences between long rang & short range bullets? I’ve only ever thought of bullets as high BC or not. As a bullet reaches full velocity in the barrel & starts to decelerate the instant it leaves the barrel, what makes a bullet behave better at short range vs long range?

Basic Member
    That was kinda why I asked the question.

And yeah, going against the grain is something I understand. Trying to shoot tiny groups with cast is one of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Interesting. Fuj’, what would you call the differences between long rang & short range bullets? I’ve only ever thought of bullets as high BC or not. As a bullet reaches full velocity in the barrel & starts to decelerate the instant it leaves the barrel, what makes a bullet behave better at short range vs long range?
    Your killin' me here Dave.....LOL Short game. BC is irrelevant. What I mean by that is; as ranges got longer so did
    the boat tail bullets with there VLD and hybrid shapes. Shapes changed in the ballistics from a tangent ogive which
    is a shorter bullet, to a secant ojive, and the hybrid is a mix of the two. In the same grain weight, a bullet with the
    secant ogive will be longer and needing more twist to stabilize. More twist, more barrel torque in the bags. Longer
    secant bullets are not as easy to find accurate seating depth as a tangent ogive bullet. A tangent bullet is generally
    into the lands for its accuracy......You will find that in the short game, flat base bullets are used. Take a 30 BR with a
    112 / 118 flat base bullet. Barrels are generally well under 24 inchs running 17 to 18 twist barrels. They will shoot
    in the ones, and is one of the top "Score" rifles, where the 6ppc with its flat based bullets is the top "Group" rifle.
    Either way, high BC bullets do not work in 300 yards and under. You'll get you head handed to you.

Basic Member
    FB bullets have an advantage of a single critical 'edge' in the design. The BT has two 'edges' and a tapered section that all have to be near perfect to match a FB performance out of the muzzle.

The rest is like Fuj said. BC is much less important than perfect fit.

If you shoot like I do you won't see the difference :)

Banned
    How am I Killin’ you? That was unexpected.

I just never paid attention (or seen it paid to by anyone else) that high BC bullets could actually hurt the short game. I found it intriguing and I was curious from your point of view. If I annoy you I’m sorry. I always thought you & I were on good terms. Thank you for explaining the point regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    How am I Killin’ you? That was unexpected.

I just never paid attention (or seen it paid to by anyone else) that high BC bullets could actually hurt the short game. I found it intriguing and I was curious from your point of view. If I annoy you I’m sorry. I always thought you & I were on good terms. Thank you for explaining the point regardless.
    Nothing was intended or was an annoyance on your part.....

Basic Member
    Fuj,

Did you ever figure out the new barrel? Just curious.

Have run into a situation where most consistent velocity is not tracking with most consistent accuracy.

Fuj,

Did you ever figure out the new barrel? Just curious.

Have run into a situation where most consistent velocity is not tracking with most consistent accuracy.
    I believe I have, and it was not the barrel after all but the tuner attached to it.
    I will avoid going into details at this time for certain reasons, but I will say this....
    I removed parts that I believe do not belong in a tuner, and reassembled. I am
    at a point in my last test that these parts I removed caused varying conditions
    at each shot. Nothing was ever consistent or even close to repeatable. So as it
    is right now, a new lot of bullets came in that were a year in waiting and I started
    from scratch for the 2024 season.....At 100 yards last week, I did a fresh tuner test
    moving two numbers at a time. I found a small window that looked promising and
    repeated that area with the in between numbers.....I'm back on track !!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lilja_SA284.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	10227

Basic Member
    Congrats! I am thinking about a tuner for one of mine, just not really sure. I really think I need to get a bit better before I complicate things further with one.

Basic Member
    Thanks for sharing with us. The PTA's make a terrific platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Thanks for sharing with us. The PTA's make a terrific platform.
    Yes they are !! With a few ongoing mods and load development work,
    I'm looking forward to 2024.

Basic Member
    Fuj, do you ever take reloading gear to a match weekend? Or do you just make sure you load more than enough rounds for the match plus sighters?

The BR guys I knew way back when reloaded after a day or string and used only a few select cases. I just never paid attention to what they used.

Fuj, do you ever take reloading gear to a match weekend? Or do you just make sure you load more than enough rounds for the match plus sighters?

The BR guys I knew way back when reloaded after a day or string and used only a few select cases. I just never paid attention to what they used.
    I pretty much load at home what I need. You'll see a lot of gear set up at big match's where
    shooters are constantly checking / re-checking seating depths or adding / subtractiing charge
    weights in between relay's.....Bottom line is, I love to shoot, and compete, but I don't get anal
    about it. Quite a few of the top shooters here in Pa. I shoot with don't load at the match's.

Basic Member
    Thanks, that's kinda what I thought.

The more I think about it.....Your going to find that "group" shooters are more apt to
    load at a match where most "score" shooters don't.

Basic Member
    That's interesting. I would have thought the reverse.

Team Savage
    Fuj'

I have learned allot not only from this post but from your comments on my thread. THANK YOU. Fact is I should of listened to you when you stated I don't need a new barrel nut. After getting the new barrel and nut now I see why! I will indeed listen next time you make a suggestion.

I feel your frustrations about a rifle going out to left field on a match. But the learning experience afterwards I believe is "almost" nearly as good as placing. You should be very proud of what you have learned and corrected why it went south. To me you did not lose at all.

You say your not a Carbon Copy guy, well I am at this time as I am learning about all the modern changes in Savages and their potential for competition. Savage is not a Model 70 Winchester nor is a 700 Rem. with decades of mods for accuracy and precision. A Savage competition platform is definitely a new game and IMHO it has a bright future in competition.

Allot is owed to men like you. Especially when one is strongly considering the competition game with a Savage platform.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by LDSILLS View Post
    Fuj'

I have learned allot not only from this post but from your comments on my thread. THANK YOU. Fact is I should of listened to you when you stated I don't need a new barrel nut. After getting the new barrel and nut now I see why! I will indeed listen next time you make a suggestion.

Larry
    I'll throw another can of worms in your direction. When I was still using a nut, I would step cut the tenon
    on a 1.25" max varmint barrel and still use the nut. Now as of a couple of years back, I no longer use a nut,
    and all match barrels are shouldered. Adds to the barrel stiffness factor.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    I'll throw another can of worms in your direction. When I was still using a nut, I would step cut the tenon
    on a 1.25" max varmint barrel and still use the nut. Now as of a couple of years back, I no longer use a nut,
    and all match barrels are shouldered. Adds to the barrel stiffness factor.
    Makes a lot of sense eliminating the nut. Thank you

As this build grows and I learn more I'll put that as a must for my next barrel.

Later

LARRY

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12