Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage getting it done.....

Savage getting it done.....

I shot the 300 yard UBR match at the Anderson Creek range here in Pa.
    yesterday (7/1/23) with my chassis built 284-ELF wild cat. It's based on
    the PTA action and set to 12 ounce red blade Accu Trigger. 12 ounces is
    nothing on a 21 lb. rifle. Originally it was a 4 way tie for first place but a
    target was protested and first place was a single winner putting me in a
    tie for second. One of the shooters tied with me was Jeremiah Keefe who
    placed 5th overall at Last years main Tack Driver event held in Orangeburg
    South Carolina. The Tack Driver hosts the best of the best from all disciplines
    to compete at 300 meter for both group and score. I am fortunate to be
    shooting in the Pa. Tack Driver come the end of July then the main Tack Driver
    in November......Having fun fellas !!!

Old Fart without the hat is me. Jeremiah is right behind me. Really feel naked
    without my hat. I was 40 miles down the road before I realized it was still on the
    table with my coffee.....

Total score would be a 264. First place had a 237 and second had 236's. We had
    a shower prior to the start then the sun came out. Worst mirage I've seen. I shot
    my sighters down on 35 power. Dialing up to 60 power, you only seen dancing snakes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winners_300UBR (2).jpg  
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Banned
    Good stuff Gary! And how many “customization” actions or “super SMOOVE” other manufacturers did your Savage outshoot, I wonder. Amazing what a knowledgeable, skilled marksman can do with our lowly Savage Actions, eh my friend?

Do you still have my email? If you want you can email the pics & I’ll post them.

Sounds like a great time.....Congratulations !

Basic Member
    Nice work Fuj.

Team Savage

Nice shootin' Fuj!

Basic Member
    WOW! Big Congratulations.

Thanks fellas. 5 more days and a wake up I'll be at the Tack Driver Lite at Anderson Creek
    here in Pa. 50 of the top shooters in Pa. will be shooting both group and score for the Agg.
    We will be shooting at 300 yards using the IBS 200 yard targets to make things more lively.
    Going to be fun.....And I won't forget my hat this time. I threw an extra one in the range bag.
    Now I just need not to forget my range bag.....

Basic Member
    Good luck Fuj. We are cheering for you :)

Banned
    I’d come show some Savage Support there Fuj’…… Unfortunately my friend, I’m on the other side of Pa. And I can’t drive anymore anyway, LOL!

Seriously though, good luck tomorrow & more importantly, have a great time! Enjoy being out there tossing some lead brother. Show those ultra $$$ customs what a lowly, less than worthy, Savage can muster.

Basic Member
    Congrats!

Nicely done!

Well done Fuj'!
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Last UBR match of the year and at 300. Morning wind was a constant 15/20 mph but readable.
    Second relay, all yardages had different direction and just could find anything to match up. I'll
    admit, I'm not the best at hard switchy winds. I was in a 4 way tie for first after the first target.
    Second target, I struggled to find the center, and threw too many 9's and a few 8's. I managed
    a 5th out of 20 shooters.....I will note that I was trying out a new barrel, and still don't have it
    figured out. I'll be out this morning with it. More later.

I'm on bench 7, and they still can't spell my name right !!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UBR_300.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	9961

Banned
    I’m curious Fuj’, any other shooters using a Savage Action besides yourself?

Basic Member
    Nice work Fuj.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I’m curious Fuj’, any other shooters using a Savage Action besides yourself?
    There is one shooting a Savage 6br with a shouldered barrel and tuner, but only shoots the 100 yard
    match's, and has placed, and one in the hunter class that places with his .308.

I have a new Lilja 3 groove barrel that we just chambered in my SA284. I just finished the break
    in and preliminary load work. I have about a week to find it's likes, and so far it's been stubborn.

Banned
    You ever run into anyone just stewing over their high dollar custom getting shown up by ya know… just a lowly Savage? I mean, how dare a Savage do better than any custom! LOL! I am annoyed hearing certain people say things like “I used to place high until my friends all got customs. Now I never score higher than them!” Or “Everyone who shows up to a competition with a Savage has it fail on them!” Yet these “facts” (according to some), don’t seem to affect you Fuj’. Maybe you just didn’t get the memo?, LOL!

It’s good to see you continuing to compete successfully with the Savage Action my friend. And proving comments like these just ignorance. Very uplifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Maybe you just didn’t get the memo?, LOL!
    It's actually because I don't give a damn !! Ya' know it's funny about the bad mouthing.
    You generally only get that from the internet wananabes. Arm chair bench shooters if you
    may. But you also have to look at various classes. There is only two things of issue with a
    Savage, and that's the trigger and it's bolt lift. Both are non issues when you run a heavy
    gun. I run a 22 lb gun. I would not run a Savage in a 10 to 13 lb gun. Where most run a 2
    oz. trigger. I've mentioned before that all, and I mean all after market triggers for Savage
    are junk in my book. I set my red blade triggers to 12 ounces then go to war.

In just about a week, I'm headed to Orangeburg SC for the Tack Driver shoot. 120 shooters
    will go head to head shooting both score and for group. This is at 300 meters and 10 targets
    over a 2 day period. The best in the country will be there. I plan on being in the top 120.....LOL

Basic Member
    Good luck Fuj.

Where near Orangeburg? We were just in Columbia visiting my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Good luck Fuj.

Where near Orangeburg? We were just in Columbia visiting my daughter.
    I'm in the process of figuring my route, but looks to be a few miles west of Orangeburg
    proper. Yeah, seems like I'm going back to the scene of the crime. North of there, I did
    my basic, AIT, and a eight month permanent party stint up at Ft. Jackson.

The Tack Driver is held at the "Mid Carolina Gun Club" Couple of threads are going on
    at "Accurate Shooter", and Jim Cline will be posting the scores as they come in.

Headed to the range for the last tuner test this morning. Pics if I don't forget the camera.

Bullet selection for such a short notice of getting the Lilja barrel done has been problematic
    and I'm out of time. The 175 Sierra's has been a gold standard for me for many years. This
    barrel does not like them !!. Only bullet available worth working with in a short time frame
    is Hornady's 166 gr A-Tip. I went with a nine groove to work with the shorter 7mm's. and
    this barrel does not want to cooperate !! I already have 200 rounds thru it and tuner test is
    done. I have it shooting 1/3 moa at 300 meters but that's not going to cut it at this event.
    It is what it is.

Shouldered 3 groove Lilja with Cortina V-2 tuner. Expensive paper weight at the moment.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	breaking_in.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	9973

Basic Member
    That kinda sucks.

We used to stay at the campground at Ft Jackson when we had the RV. I spent most of my time at Ft Knox and White Sands during my time in service.

Visited the Mid-Carolina range once. Considered trying to join until we moved again.

Well, sad to say.....I spent all day Friday at the Mid Carolina Tack Driver range trying to make sense
    of this new barrel/tuner combination. Nothing jived. Clean or heavily fouled, nothing would repeat,
    and would progress to get worse. I just lost heart, and pulled out of two days of competition, so not
    to look like a total Jackass. Time to take a break then rethink for next season......

Basic Member
    Sorry to hear Fuj.

Winning the "Tack Driver" would be a dream come true for me. I don't know that I'll ever be able to make it or be competitive if I did but it would be a blast I'm sure.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    Fuj,

You may have covered it before but why did you settle on 7mm instead of the others. Just curious as I will stick with my 6mm and .30.

Sent from my SM-P613 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast