Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor...how short would you go?

Basic Member

6.5 Creedmoor...how short would you go?

I acquired a savage large shank barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor with the full intentions of re-barreling my Savage 110 PCS in .223. After shooting that one more though I'm kinda starting to like it. I'm thinking now I will pick up an undesignated Savage Target action for this Creedmoor barrel. My question is, if you were going to build a 6.5 today, how short would you go on the barrel? I initially thought 14-15", but here in East TN I rarely have the chance to shoot more than 400 yards and honestly hunting the fields one doesn't get much more than 250 yards. Just curious on your guys thoughts...I see AR10 pistols in .308 and 6.5 in the 12.5" length, and since I have absolutely zero experience with them I don't how they behave or perform.

Bolt pistol sub forum.

_.

Basic Member
    i had a 15, 16 1/4 and 23" MGM barrel in my TC Encore. i killed 5 or 6 deer with each type of barrel. the furthest i shot was about 160 - 170 yards and that was with 16 1/4" barrel (rifle). the average shot was 30 - 40 yards-ish. i used 120gr and 140gr Nosler BT with Superformance powder. when i was just shooting the 14" barrel (pistol) it was 120gr Hornady A max and Superformance. i never wrote down the fps, but the 23" was around 2800+/- fps, while the 14" was around 2650+/- fps for the 120 gr BT. while the 140gr BT was 2600+/-fps (23" barrel) and 2450+/- fps. milage may vary.

in a bolt action, 22" barrel. 20" is good as well as 24" barrel.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    I would not go below 20" on a rifle.

You have probably already seen this but just in case.

https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-5...p-a-creedmoor/

You realize this is a bolt pistol sub forum?

Quote Originally Posted by toddtd View Post
    i had a 15, 16 1/4 and 23" MGM barrel in my TC Encore. i killed 5 or 6 deer with each type of barrel. the furthest i shot was about 160 - 170 yards and that was with 16 1/4" barrel (rifle). the average shot was 30 - 40 yards-ish. i used 120gr and 140gr Nosler BT with Superformance powder. when i was just shooting the 14" barrel (pistol) it was 120gr Hornady A max and Superformance. i never wrote down the fps, but the 23" was around 2800+/- fps, while the 14" was around 2650+/- fps for the 120 gr BT. while the 140gr BT was 2600+/-fps (23" barrel) and 2450+/- fps. milage may vary.

in a bolt action, 22" barrel. 20" is good as well as 24" barrel.

The 14" velocity numbers you posted are very helpful. Thanks for that. Not near as bad a drop off as I was expecting.

If I were doing a 6.5 I would eschew the 6.5 Creedmoor and do a 15.5" .260 Remington or 6.5 -.284 most likely running a 140 grain bullet in either one. I might be inclined to go a little longer but Missouri Dept. of Conservation has decided (in it's infinite wisdom) that a barrel 16" or longer constitutes a rifle thus said firearm is not legal during the alternative weapons season.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    If I were doing a 6.5 I would eschew the 6.5 Creedmoor and do a 15.5" .260 Remington or 6.5 -.284 most likely running a 140 grain bullet in either one. I might be inclined to go a little longer but Missouri Dept. of Conservation has decided (in it's infinite wisdom) that a barrel 16" or longer constitutes a rifle thus said firearm is not legal during the alternative weapons season.
    Neither calibers are bad choices for sure, but I already have the Creedmoor barrel and with my work schedule I don't have a ton of time to reload more cartridges than I do and Creedmoor is on that short list already. I'll mainly stick with the 120-129gr class bullets to keep the velocity up some over the 140's.

Basic Member
    Back when we were doing the Mcmillan group buys I went with a 14.5" McGowan 6.5 CM in centergrip XP. I wouldn't change a thing.

One year when I was getting ready for Wy Shot and the MOA I got my paws on a Brand new Savage PTA large bolt face. On that one I went with a 15" 243 7.5 twist Criterion barrel throated for the long 105-108 bullets. I really like the PTA but stocks are the stumbling block for that action. If I would ever do another one I would do 14-15 on the PTA. Someplace on this forum is a picture of the 243 PTA.

You realize this is a bolt pistol sub forum?
    So it is.

Basic Member
    So it is.
    Hey, I didn't mean that as snarky as it sounded when I reread it just now after seeing your reply, I sincerely hope you didn't take it that way and I'm very sorry if you did. I did not mean for it to come out that way.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Back when we were doing the Mcmillan group buys I went with a 14.5" McGowan 6.5 CM in centergrip XP. I wouldn't change a thing.

One year when I was getting ready for Wy Shot and the MOA I got my paws on a Brand new Savage PTA large bolt face. On that one I went with a 15" 243 7.5 twist Criterion barrel throated for the long 105-108 bullets. I really like the PTA but stocks are the stumbling block for that action. If I would ever do another one I would do 14-15 on the PTA. Someplace on this forum is a picture of the 243 PTA.
    IF, good info to hear that you wouldn't change a thing. I think I'm in my happy place with it around 14-15". This will be a rear grip, so not as good balance as your centergrip

Basic Member
    I think your biggest challenge will be a stock for your rear grip PTA.

Basic Member
    Rear grip stock should be no issue. A chassis such as an MDT for an example would be very easy to use. Put a plug in the rear where the stock would normally attach and you're good to go. If the forearm is not flat, an arca rail would be ideal.

When I made my 17 HMR I used the MDT stock with a arca rail and it is very stable. You can see a photo of it here, Savage Shooters.

When I made my first .223 with a rear grip, I used a Choate stock. Using the Choate, cut off the rear portion and you're good to go. It's also a chassis so no bedding is required. When I finished it, it look like it was made that way.

Basic Member
    A lot of the Choat stocks got the hacksaw treatment for the Savage builds. That's what I did for my first one and they work pretty well for not a lot of money. Neal Cooper was making some nice stocks for the Strikers and PTA's. I managed to get one before he decided to get out of business. From about 2010-2015 there were tons of pictures of the Savage pistol builds and now no one even posts about them. Where did all the guys go?

He is my first one.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...3-Match-Pistol

Just wondering.. why hack the barrel. I can think of zero gain.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I am going the Choate route, already have one for it

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    Just wondering.. why hack the barrel. I can think of zero gain.
    Cheers

Do you know how dumb a 26" barreled bolt action pistol would look and handle? I realize that the "Specialty Pistol" guys are new to Savage forums here, but it's not always about rifles...

Quote Originally Posted by cknight814 View Post
    Do you know how dumb a 26" barreled bolt action pistol would look and handle? I realize that the "Specialty Pistol" guys are new to Savage forums here, but it's not always about rifles...
    Do you know how dumb a 6.5 creed pistol is?

Was wondering the same thing. How practical would it be? But have no experience in this particular genre of shooting.

How dumb is a 6.5 creed pistol?

if you like “pistols”….. they are pretty dang smart imo.

this is a specialty pistol section of the forum. Might be several “dumb” things or people around.

Basic Member

It's smarter than you think

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYODE View Post
    How dumb is a 6.5 creed pistol?

if you like “pistols”….. they are pretty dang smart imo.

this is a specialty pistol section of the forum. Might be several “dumb” things or people around.
    Count me as one of those dumb people I guess

Was wondering the same thing. How practical would it be? But have no experience in this particular genre of shooting.
    We regularly shoot and hunt with rifle calipers chambered for our specialty pistols. The 6.5 creed is a very practical chambering for our platforms.

there are amongst us SP shooters reaching 1000 yard targets and beyond. I’m not one of those guys but like ringing steel at 500.

About as "dumb" as a 6.5 Creed SBR, and there are a pile of them in use with barrels 12.5", and even shorter.

I have seen SP's chambered in much larger cal's in use as well. IYKYK

Basic Member
    Like Bob Cat I am from Missouri. Some where between 15" and just shy of 16" would be my choice. Then add a Harrel Brake. The removable Brake does not count on the length, at least here.
    My Nosler M48 has I believe a 15" Barrel, Plus the Harrel 4 Gill Brake. Works just fine.

Bob R
    See You at the Range