Thread: WSM Calibers Question

DUKFVR

WSM Calibers Question

I am getting ready to get me a 300 WSM LH Weather Warrior. Called a shop to ask about stock & one of the guys there tells me they don't stock WSM calibers, because too many people have had problems with accuracy that have bought them from them. I have never heard of that problem with Savages or any brand for that matter. I chalk this up to a guy that probably doesn't know much or has read too many internet postings. Anyone on here have or had any accuracy problems with their WSM in Savage? THANKS & Glad I found this website.

Team Savage

Re: WSM Calibers Question

Yesterdays burger cook selling rifles.
    I see it a lot these days in a lot of different industries.

Rob96

I read an article that said the same thing about erratic accuracy out of the WSM's. My brother had a 300 WSM that we could not get to keep consistent groups with using factory or handloaded ammunition.

Basic Member

My eclipse in 300wsm will shoot 180 noslers at 1000 yds an hit a milk jug as much as I want ! Also i got away from the belted case of the 300 win mag and the long action...works for me.

DGD6MM

I think part of the problem is some of these guys can't shoot a magnum, short or long. ;D

Total BULL SCAT! I have no accuracy issues whatsoever with my WSM's and neither do any of my friends that have them.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Basic Member

I myself can't say because I've never fired a WSM. But, I do have a friend who used to be a police officer and I've seen him shoot and he's pretty darned good. He had one of the first model 12's in 300 WSM and couldn't get it to group consistently either but I've never seen another one shoot like that. He also found it odd and said he had never owned a Savage that he couldn't get to shoot good.

learjet

my 12fvss 300wsm has been a good ole mikey gun, it eats anything. it does show a preference for lighter bullets and faster powders than most 'experts' recomend however. it really shines w 4007SSC of all things

I have a model 16 in 300WSM and there are no accuracy issues with this rifle. I have never used anything other than hand loads in it but it is a tackdriver. After boresighting it I had it shooting sub moa at 100 yards no problem. I wouldnt be afraid to buy another one of these rifles.
    They speak of  my drinking..... but never question my thirst...

kalbrecht

I've got a Model 11 300 WSM that routinely shoots 1/2" or better 100 yard 3 shot groups w/ 180 accubonds.

I have a model 11 in 300wsm and it shoots good. I think the main problem is the recoil and flinching I do. This is probally where most of the can't group it issues come from. If I really think about it and bear down I can get 1.5" at 200 with it.

Basic Member

Like I said I've never heard of it except for that one rifle. He got rid of it. It could have had a bad barrel or something. He never sent it back to Savage to have it inspected.

hailstone

I have all four of the WSM calibers in Savage rifles. I've been using my own loads that have appeared in various magazine articles and loading manuals. Haven't had time too find best load for any of the rifles yet. So far all have been around MOA performers about what other chamberings have done.. Best was a 7mm WSM that grouped sub MOA for three shots then proceeded to open up to around 6 MOA by shot twelve. Three weeks of cleaning with various copper removers and finally Outers Foul Out system got the copper fouling out. Savage will be getting that rifle back for defective barrel replacement. I've not tried any commerical loadings at $45 to $55 per box of twenty. Only commerical loadings used was in the 7mm where I obtained about forty boxes for $12 per box. Basically the cost of new unprimed brass. While the potential may be there I have yet too discover anything great about these chamberings yet. When you can take a military 03 Springfield with just ordinary reloads and get groups sub-MOA then you have a shooter. So far I don't have that in the WSM's!!

bigngreen

Love the accuracy of the WSM's in Savage's, haven't had a bad one yet or even one that wouldn't shoot well under MOA. The 270 WSM being my favorite as you are actually getting a lot more with it but the 7mm and 300 are great since I don't care for the belted cases, going to make a 338-300 WSM by next year for a light timber gun that will shoot the light out!