I don't know if I've "found" the magic fix for my Model 25, 17 Hornet's failure to consistently extract......but then again I may have. Time will tell.

I know about the post concerning the 25 not wanting to eject as the brass will extract, but then just "falls" on top of the remaining cartridges in the magazine...or the empty magazine.

I believe these issues are interrelated and the primary cause is the extractor. But...I could be wrong.

My issues have been about 30% of the time the fired case will remain in the chamber. A "fast" bolt retrieval usually results in nothing happening, but at times a slow retrieval will extract the spent case.

So, I put on my magnifying glasses and studied the little bolt head. I took a small screwdriver and "pulled back" the extractor only to discover that when you do this....the extractor is held in by a "pin with a base" and a spring. Fortunately, the extractor landed on my workbench when I did this. (Note: pull the extractor while it's inside a clear plastic bag so you don't send it into orbit never to be found again.)

There appeared to be some grit, held in by gun oil that was "stuck" between the extractor and the bolt head. This (I think) would cause the extractor to not fully seat against the bolt...and therefore...not allow the edge of the extractor to fully engage the Hornet's brass base.

I've cleaned these two surfaces and did NOT apply any oil to them. So far, in limited testing, all is working well. I'll post more as my summer groundhog sight in's progress.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tou3xXN.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	942.6 KB 
ID:	9606