Thread: Bolt assembly screw thread direction (left-handed/southpaw rifle)

Bolt assembly screw thread direction (left-handed/southpaw rifle)

Which direction should I turn the bolt assembly screw to loosen the screw on a left-handed rifle? Does it make a difference if the rifle is made for a right-handed or left-handed shooter?

I have a few savage rifles and all but one of them are for right-handed shooters. I've been able to loosen the bolt assembly screw and take apart the bolt on all of my right-handed rifles by turning the bolt assembly screw counter clockwise. The screw on the left-handed rifle won't budge. Are the left-handed rifles reverse threaded? Should I be turning it clockwise instead of counter clockwise to loosen it?

I do know that sometimes the bolt assembly screw can be pretty difficult to remove initially. I'm also aware of some ways to use additional tools to help loosen it. I want to confirm the direction it needs to go before I try using any additional tools.

Thanks!

Banned
    No, they are not. The Bolt Assembly Screw & the Barrel Tenon threading are both standard threaded. Counter-clockwise to loosen. Some are simply on extremely tight.

Thanks Dave, I appreciate it. I was able to disassemble it finally, it was just really stuck. I had to wrap the bolt in a rag, then place it on the ground with the allen wrench in it. I put a small piece of scrap board against the allen wrench and then slowly stepped on it until my body weight loosened it up enough. It was definitely on there good though!

Leverage is key… that was probably the same way the factory tightened it…lol

Banned
    Yes indeed. Some have been so seized the user would soak in Kroil for days, hang on it with a mallet even use heat from a torch. There actually is a good trick I pass to people, which works well with all kinds of seized threes. Try Tightening the nut or bolt just a couple of degrees then try loosening again. This is an old handy man’s trick and really does work magic at times. But as pdog pointed out, it really is about leverage. “Give me a lever long enough & a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.”

Team Savage
    Thanks Dave

Basic Member
    I've used that tightening trick before as well. But, only if nothing else works. I've broken a couple doing it, just not sure that was the reason or if the bolts were just completely frozen. They had to be drilled out.