Thread: Blind mag to detachable mag??

Team Savage

Blind mag to detachable mag??

Hi folks! Brand new here so forgive me if I've dredged up a topic that's been covered before. I poked around in FAQs, but didn't see this subject addressed. I have a model 110 "package rifle" in 7mm RM that I bought new in '93. It's the blind mag, staggered feed (mag box attached to the action) and I'm looking to restock it with a Boyds laminate or Bell & Carlson composite. Before I get too excited about ordering a stock, I would like to know if it's possible (or, practical) to convert it to hinged bottom metal or detachable mag. I'm aware that, given enough money, anything can be done, but mmy hope was that, considering the amount of aftermarket upgrades available for this platform, someone had developed a process for making this conversion.
    Thanx for any info!

Basic Member
    Basically, yes, if you buy the right 'bottom metal' for the gun. Pay attention to top or bottom bolt release as that affects which parts you buy. Don't be shocked at how much it will cost you to convert :)

PS welcome to the nut house :)

Banned
    Very much possible. Level of difficulty is based on personal know how. For instance, I’m a hobby gunsmith/builder/machinist. It has always been hobby, never as profession for me. Bearing that in mind, this swap would be quite easy for someone like me. I know how things are supposed to fit and what to do when they don’t. So you need to be honest with yourself. If you are a DYI’er who has good problem solving & fabrication skills, it’s quite easy. For someone who is not a born tinkerer, it could prove to be a more difficult venture.

Basic Member
    Does anyone have any links to post to do this? Seems like it would be pretty straight forward and have been done a few times over since 1993.

Basic Member
    Very first thing to determine is this rifle a Stagger Feed or a Center Feed. Then Top Bolt Release of Bottom Bolt Release. The differences are very specific.

Team Savage
    Tagging in as I'm in the same boat

I would like to know if it's possible (or, practical) to convert it to hinged bottom metal or detachable mag.
    I have the same rifle as yours also in 7mm magnum....so...possible? Yes. practical? Oh heck no!

Ever consider a chassis system? My model 10 in .308 was the same setup & I bought a Trybe ROCS from Optics Planet. Wasn’t cheap, but it solved my issue & saved me potentially butchering the oem stock. Far as that goes, I have an unneeded model 10 stock should someone need one.
    Chassis link if you’re interested:
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/trybe-d...is-system.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To do what you want to do, you would need the following:

1. Boyds or other L/A stock setup for detachable box magazine and top bolt release
    2. OEM Savage L/A detachable box magazine bottom metal (or hinged floorplate - both use same inlet)
    3. Matching trigger guard for bottom metal.
    4. May need to do some minor file/dremel work to the feed port of the action for clearance.

Simple conversion, but not the cheapest as the OEM bottom metal will probably set you back $150-200, plus you'll need to pickup a new magazine which will set you back close to $50 for an OEM 3-rd mag. Now add in a couple hundred for the stock and you're looking at an absolute minimum of $450 - more likely $550+ when all is said and done.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    I'm very sorry it's taken me so long to respond to all the great information provided. I've been really struggling with the site, accessing this thread and, what the HECK is "tapatalk"??
    Anyway, maybe this time my comment will be posted and not lost in cyberspace.
    After reviewing your comments, I've decided it would be best to just order a Boyd's laminate with upgraded pad, try my hand at glass bedding the action and save the headache of any conversion. I'll just convince myself that it's a weight saving measure for a backcountry rifle. That's how I remember the manufacturers promoting the cheapo blind mag models.
    Thanx for the info folks!

Basic Member
    Tapatalk is just an app for your phone or tablet that is designed for maneuvering through forums. It can be convenient, but, it has a lot of advertising in it that makes it a bit irritating at times. I use it with my phone, but, on the tablet I just use the browser like I do on the PC.

Your choice is probably one of the least expensive ways to go, unless you just use the stock on the gun now.

Team Savage
    The factory stock is incredibly flimsy and the hard rubber buttpad makes recoil from the 7 mag quite unpleasant. It appears factory Savage stocks have improved quite a bit in the last 30 years, and my shoulder has aged alot in the same time frame. To replace the factory recoil pad would help with the punishment, but the stock would still be a cheap piece o' crap. I've always believed an improved handle would make a difference in the rifle's mediocre, but acceptable accuracy.
    Thanx again for all the great input.