Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switchback vs Tactical in 6 ARC

Switchback vs Tactical in 6 ARC

Kicking around the idea of an ARC. Mainly because I have to replace a .243 barrel once a year and I should get 2x-3x the barrel life in the ARC.

Note: Will replace .243 barrel with .308

The Switchback or Tactical will work. However, the Tac model has the accufit stock. Never used an accu-stock or fit and not sure if it will be as solid as a chasis system.

In short, go with Switchback and replace stock with MDT chassis or go with Tac model ?

FYI- I hunt off of a tripod with a hog saddle and arca rail.

I found the 110 Tactical for 685.00 shipped to my FFL so I've decided to go this route.

Banned
    That works. I’d still go with a Chassis, unless you just really like the stock. But no, stocks are never as rigid as Chassis.

Just curious… are you actually replacing a 243 barrel once a year, or is it just what you’re reading & makes you “think” is gonna happen? Just kinda odd a hunter would need to replace the barrel every year for what amounts to being the beginning of accuracy loss. That’s typically something serious competition shooters do because their group size increases maybe an 1/8”.(or less!) And not for nothing, but 1/8” won’t make no nevermind on any hunting accuracy as far as the 243 is concerned. So, just wondering is all. Several other rounds I’d look at before the ARC, but hey… if it’s calling, do it to it.

Basic Member
    Dave, can't assume he's not shooting it much. Pigs and prairie dogs out here can use up ammo fast. I know prairie dog shooters who go through several hundred rounds in a weekend. A summer of shooting can be a couple thousand rounds. Some prefer the .243 over the .22-250 due to strong winds.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Several other rounds I’d look at before the ARC, but hey… if it’s calling, do it to it.
    Dave you have helped me on many occasions and I greatly respect you opinion and knowledge but I have to say I have been doing a lot, and I mean a lot, of reading and researching a lot about the 6ARC. Basically because I have been looking to move up from 223 for my 300yd target rifle. Latest findings are that out to 500yds there is very little difference between the 6 ARC and the other short 6mm chamberings, up to the 6 Dasher until one moves up to the GT, CM, or 243. So I suppose it all comes down to what it is intended to do.

So just which other would you choose as OP really didn't say what he is hunting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    Dave you have helped me on many occasions and I greatly respect you opinion and knowledge but I have to say I have been doing a lot, and I mean a lot, of reading and researching a lot about the 6ARC. Basically because I have been looking to move up from 223 for my 300yd target rifle. Latest findings are that out to 500yds there is very little difference between the 6 ARC and the other short 6mm chamberings, up to the 6 Dasher until one moves up to the GT, CM, or 243. So I suppose it all comes down to what it is intended to do.

So just which other would you choose as OP really didn't say what he is hunting.

Well, you mentioned 1 or 2 already. The Dasher would likely be my top pick. But I’d also do the BR/BRA. Or I might would say forget the short cases & go right to the 6x47. You are correct they are all close. Which is why I feel the ARC is pointless! The Dasher has been around since the early 2000’s. The 6mmBR was created commercially in 1978! But like usual…Hornady regurgitates what’s already been done and act like they “invented” something new! Not only that, they use the x39 case (Grendel), which has never been an accuracy hero. But people want it because it’s the shiny new toy. And that’s fine. Also, I’m a reloader. Most people look at the ARC because they see the boxes of Hornady in stores.

Basic Member
    I don't disagree, especially since I picked a 6BR over the others and one of the biggest reasons was barrel life and ease of use (no case forming).

But, commercial ammo is fairly rare and very expensive. Of the 6mm available on the shelf the ARC is a decent pick. 6mmCM would be next up for me.

The Grendel is not inherently a bad cartridge. After all it shares the same parent case (.220 Russian) with the 6PPC. The 6ARC is just a tad longer than the 6PPC.

And, no, nothing 'new' in cartridges has really been done since before WWI. The 7x57 Mauser (1892) presents a cartridge that does everything the modern ones do, except maybe the big magnums. So why buy anything else?

Basic Member
    Well, you mentioned 1 or 2 already. The Dasher would likely be my top pick. But I’d also do the BR/BRA. Or I might would say forget the short cases & go right to the 6x47. You are correct they are all close. Which is why I feel the ARC is pointless! The Dasher has been around since the early 2000’s. .
    I don't disagree and see this first hand. Our Winter rifle league the top 6 shooters are all shooting some form of 6mm. This years winners shoots a BRA, second place a 6BR and 3rd place a Dasher. Yes they all lecture me that I should be building a 6BR but when looking for tooling and brass it is just not currently available. Such as Dies, they are limited availability but costly, The only brass I have found is Peterson and that right now is limited to the Dasher. Tooling; head space gauges I can find for the ARC but not for any or the others, they are all back order. I use the Lee Quick trim system and the only one they supply again is the ARC. So if all those were obtainable at a reasonable cost then yes I most likely would build a 6BR as well. I do not hunt so no need for a GT, CM or even the 243 which all use much more powder.

BTW at one time I was seriously looking at building a 250 Savage to use in this league.

Basic Member
    I don't disagree and see this first hand. Our Winter rifle league the top 6 shooters are all shooting some form of 6mm. This years winners shoots a BRA, second place a 6BR and 3rd place a Dasher. Yes they all lecture me that I should be building a 6BR but when looking for tooling and brass it is just not currently available. Such as Dies, they are limited availability but costly, The only brass I have found is Peterson and that right now is limited to the Dasher. Tooling; head space gauges I can find for the ARC but not for any or the others, they are all back order. I use the Lee Quick trim system and the only one they supply again is the ARC. So if all those were obtainable at a reasonable cost then yes I most likely would build a 6BR as well. I do not hunt so no need for a GT, CM or even the 243 which all use much more powder.

BTW at one time I was seriously looking at building a 250 Savage to use in this league.
    When I chose the 6BR the first thing I did was buy some brass. It was 'early' enough in the pandemic that I got a box of Lapua brass (should have bought two :) ). Then I went to get a barrel. The dies are expensive. I got a Forster full length size die and Redding competition seat die. The dies and brass cost almost as much as the Shilen barrel. The good part is NSS had several 6BR barrels in stock to choose from so it was just a week til I got it in my hands.

I have quite a few reloads on that brass so went to look for some more. Like you found, Peterson is making a lot these days. I bought some for my 6BR and then got some .308 match cases with the SR primer pockets.

I am glad I made the change to 6mm. The 6BR is almost as easy to shoot as my .223 was, except it reaches out further :) I love it.

The only difference with the 6ARC is it is just a tad shorter. So instead of a 103gn bullet at 2900fps with the 6BR, you'll have one at maybe 2800fps. Make a difference? That's up to you. Kinda like trying to decide between the 6BR, BRA and Dasher. Each is 50-100fps faster than the other.

Basic Member
    So as not to hijack this poor mans thread, I have looked at both and for my needs I would go with the longer barreled Switchback. It can also be found for about $200.00 less.

Basic Member
    LOL, he got a good deal on the Tactical a bit further back. :)

I do hope he comes back and tells us how it shoots. I'd like to know.

WOW, never got notified by e-mail that someone actually replied.

Even though the 110 Tac showed in stock, it actually wasn't so I haven't bought anything in 6 ARC. Really looking at something for my grandson that has factory ammo support. Right now we have about 2,700 rounds (throat erosion and heat cracks as I push my loads above data too) through my current BA using a CBI barrel 10T (8 months old) in 243 with me and my grandson shooting P-Dogs, Predators and steel targets. I built a gas gun in 243 using an X-Caliber barrel w/ JP HPB and it shoots to 2's & 3' at 100 yds with 87 V-Max pushing them with H4350 and Varget which will be strictly used for predator hunting.

We use a Savage Model 12 in 223 at closer ranges (300 and in) w/ 40 & 50 grainers, but since wind pushes things around a bit, we use a .243 (10 T) with 75 & 87 V-Max and 6mm Creed (8 T) with 103 ELD-X & 108-112 grainers. On occasions, we use a 6.5 CM and 308 for all around.

For shooting steel on windy days 1000 + yds, I like my 338 Lapua, expensive to shoot so I don't very often.

Besides better barrel life in the ARC, I can build him a gas gun in the AR 15 platform and buy/build a BA to push max pressures/velocities with factory support.

Note: During the winter months will use an extreme powder since we travel/hunt all over the US and warmer months use LE powder for max velocities.

PS: I'm waiting on a barrel to finish a .224 Val build.

I do have 400 pieces of 6 Dasher brass that I neck up to 30 cal for a AR 15 Wildcat that is my stalking rifle in open woods and never plan on selling it.

There are three main reasons I buy/build rifles that have factory ammo support (questionable during these times): 1. Easier to sell barrel/bolt to others that may or may not reload. 2. Common components can be easier to find 3. For whatever reason, I may be able to find ammo needed abroad....yep, being in a hurry, left ammo behind.

How do I know round count for each rifle: I keep spreadsheet logs for hunting/range trips, fired brass count, and I buy powder/primers/bullets/brass/ammo by bulk with same lot numbers, if possible.
    Last edited by TXCOONDOG; 06-28-2023 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Additional information

Banned
    Lol! There’s always more to it when we get the “whole” story.

Just like I’ve said in other threads, if you use the lighter 6mm pills at MAX, & you are saying over MAX velocities, of course barrel life will suffer. But this the case with any cartridge. If you load for velocity & shoot quite a bit, barrel life will suffer.

Still though…. You load everything for this rifle, yet, 243Win has one of the largest number of factory ammunition choices of any cartridges. Like 55+ choices! The 6mm ARC has like 3 choices.

Banned
    Duplicate

Basic Member
    Love the 243 and am on my third one. I had a 53 Featherweight Model 70 then a Marlin X7 and now an Axis Compact. Just use it for Javelina to take the place of a 22-250 Model 788 I sold to a friend for his grandkid.
    For me that was the perfect coyote gun.

A lot of folks get stuck in the mud and are against anything new or don't agree with. Is it going to be a world changing cartridge....nope, but tinkering, experimenting, having good ole fun and getting the most out something is what it's about for guys/gals like me.

Banned
    Im not against it, per se. I think it’s fine if people want to use it. Although I see no point of it in a bolt action. The whole point of it was to work well in the AR15. It’s just you presented this as the means to ending your “problem” with going through 243 barrels. But again, you had left out quite a bit of info. So comparing your >MAX loaded 243 Win reloads to factory 6mmARC, isn’t a good observation. That’s all I was saying.

Jumping on the New Cartridge bandwagon ain’t my thing, but I wish whoever does good fortune. Just don’t be one those who go on to say about how much more Accurate-ee this new round is while having more velocity & the pound-feets & what not, than any other 6mm before it. LOL!

Basic Member
    TX,

You and Fuj should talk more :) He's 'our' cartridge experiment guy.

Basic Member
    Although I see no point of it in a bolt action. The whole point of it was to work well in the AR15.
    I fully understand your contention and that this was designed to be used in the AR Platform. So on that I have to ask, what platform was the 6BR, 6BRA, 6Dasher designed to be used in? There is very little difference is size, shape or capacity. Then as I stated earlier I will be building a 6ARC bolt rifle as a cheaper substitute for the 6BR. Which from what I have researched, out to 500yds there is very little separating them from each other when loaded the same. Now I will never claim that the ARC is superior to any of the others.

Banned
    I fully understand your contention and that this was designed to be used in the AR Platform. So on that I have to ask, what platform was the 6BR, 6BRA, 6Dasher designed to be used in? There is very little difference is size, shape or capacity. Then as I stated earlier I will be building a 6ARC bolt rifle as a cheaper substitute for the 6BR. Which from what I have researched, out to 500yds there is very little separating them from each other when loaded the same. Now I will never claim that the ARC is superior to any of the others.
    Hi KMW, remember.. when I’m posting it’s not directed at anyone personally.

6mmBR and it’s affiliates, were created specifically for Bench Rest competition. And they have dominated the world in competition. The 6mmBR was really designed for out to 600yds, although it still does well to 1000yds. (Although it’s slightly larger counterparts do better at that distance.) Still, the record I think still on books is like a .282” at 600yds using a 6mmBRA. That is simply unreal!

But yes, again, please don’t think anything I say is being directed at you, or anyone specifically. Sorry if you took it to be. My statement was a friendly warning for people who already do that with the new cartridges or new shooters who will recite the sales add & Gun Rags. It’s just every few years we get several (not so) new cartridges and some people think the wheel has been reinvented, LOL!

Basic Member
    Dave, not at all, we have enjoyed plenty of conversations for me to think that. I'm just very curious about your thoughts on the ARC. MY thinking from what I have been researching for my upcoming build, it at least to me, fits in with the same group only in that it uses a different parent case and head. Again in my case shooting to only 300yds I don't see any real advantage of any one of them over the others, they look that close when loaded with the same components. So at just 300yds is 100fps really going to make a significant impact on a paper target?

Banned
    No, it won’t make difference there. My contention with the ARC is I’m just not a fan of anything in that case.. the 220 Russian. Which is actually a x39 with Small Primer pocket. Just a personal contention is all. Also, I’m not an off the shelf ammo user. Have been in the past, but also had a time of owning far more cartridges than I could afford to feed as well. I’ve scaled down my firearms holdings drastically. A number of years ago I decided to own only what I use. And besides that, I only own firearms I build myself.

Basic Member
    Got it now, just a personal preference. We all have them.

Basic Member
    The 7.62x39 was adapted to a deer cartridge with the .220 Russian. Then in the 70's the PPC came out, first the .22 then the 6mm (P and P were BR shooters). Later on a couple of ".30PPC" cartridges were developed. Around the same time a 6.5PPC came out and morphed into the Grendel.

The BR series started from a shortened .308 a bit earlier (late 60's?) and was found in many forms until Remington put the 6BR in their target rifle. Later Norma 'fixed' it with a longer throat for the heavier bullets available then. There are still references to the 6mm Rem BR and Norma BR. The BR series were always designed around BR competition.

So, an interesting development path. The PPC started with the .22 and worked up to 6mm and then 6.5/.30. The BR started at .30 and worked down to 6mm and then .22.

I remember some of the arguments back in the day between proponents of the PPC vs the BR. The 100 and 200yd BR folks liked the small bore PPC's a lot. The 'discovery' of the 6BR as a long range cartridge came much later.

Basically, below 600yd they are a wash. Some will prefer PPC, others the BR. 600-1000 the BR and derivatives are more prevalent.

PS I am also a bit biased. I like the 7.62x39 as a combat cartridge. I don't really like the AR or AK platforms, but, if I had to, I'd want something with a bit more punch than the .223 or .300BO. The 6ARC seems to provide that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast