Thread: A22 & Jard

Basic Member

A22 & Jard

Fasteddie: I hope you're out there. As we've discussed many times the trigger for the A22 is pathetic. I know the reason why because a Savage supervisor told me - Savage left out a few steps in the polish process - time is money. I knew the trigger sucked the first time I pulled it but I thought it would get better over time - It hasn't. The trigger pull weight is heavy and I hated the gritty sound heard and felt through the plastic stock so I bought a Boyd. I probably should have sold it after the first trigger pull but now I've got a few bucks tied up in it AND it's VERY ACCURATE. Yesterday I shot a KNOW YOUR LIMITS match against mostly Ruger 10/22's and a CZ and came in first BUT I hated the trigger pull weight and the gritty feel at every shot. Why I went to the match with the A22 instead of my Mark II was I was hoping it would be inaccurate so I'd have reason to absorb the loss and sell it but it's not inaccurate.

I'm sad about having to spend $257.00 with shipping on the Jard for a rifle in this price range. I'm also tired of crying in my beer and complaining about the trigger - I just might buy the Jard. Maybe the Jard will help me increase my point margin over the other KYL shooters. Someone mentioned you should only cry once about a purchase - I'm about to cry for the 3rd time!!

Basic Member
    You will like the Jard. I have 3 and plan to get one more for my latest A series.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2Wyo View Post
    You will like the Jard. I have 3 and plan to get one more for my latest A series.
    Did you run into any problems installing it?

Basic Member
    I have a Jard and also like it. Installed on my model 10. I believe it is the only trigger that comes with its own sear. It was good out of the box, but became better when I polished it up.

Another plus is I've had great customer service. Someone actually answered their phone when I called them up and gave me some pointers on adjusting the trigger.

This has been my experience, dont take my word for it.

Basic Member
    All you have to do is remove 1 pin and change the triggers.

Basic Member
    Hi Don - I haven't logged on for a while, getting my garden in between rains. Luckily for me our region 'missed' all the forest fires that have been affecting Quebec and Nova Scotia and by winds 'Smoking up' much of the North-East USA. I finally gave up on the A22 last Fall and traded it for an old Rem 1100 12g semi. The young(er) fellow I traded to was pleased even after I told him about the poor trigger. I left in the Gunshack spring and the pull was down around 2# but still gritty and 'Clunky', but he was pleased for the deal I gave him.
    It's good to hear you're getting some good use out of yours, tho you are going the 'long way' to it. I've heard well about the Jards so you should be good to go. I still have my B22-FV and shooting ca 0.3-.4s @ 50Y in practice. There are No 'matches' around me - for over 100 miles - and the price of gas here is ca $1.75 / liter = ca $5 USD / gallon so I don't want to travel on $75+ trips for shooting.
    This Christmas Santa brought me a CZ-457-V-MTR in 22LR so I have a new toy to develop new skills with but with the weather I've only been able to get out 4 trips (15 mi to my range). I'm still getting used to the new rifle and scope - Athlon Argos BTR GII 8-34x56 FFP, but hope to get consistent groups under 1" @ 100Y, so far ca 1.25-1.75".
    Best luck for your new rig,
    Ed

Basic Member
    Ed: Yup, this is not the way I normally do things - I don't buy a cheap item and make it better. If I was doing it over again I'd purchase a CZ or Tikka but I didn't know then what I know now about .22 rifles and pistols - Savage disappointed me. Yesterday, I gave the A22 one more chance to let me down but it didn't. - 5 shot 50 yard groups measured outside edge to outside edge were under .85 and that's with a bipod (.85 is the 10 ring size on a TQ3 50 yard target). I could have done better with my front/rear rest set up. Hopefully, it will improve even more with the Jard. With a new weapon out of the box who knows what I'd get and I don't know what more I can ask of a rifle it it shoots 10's and X's consistently.

The closest matches to me are 2 hours 1 way in Phoenix or 1 hour one way west of Tucson. The Tucson group were a unfriendly lot. My range is 10 minutes from my house and I shoot ARA targets and Bench by myself at 50 yards - 100 yards is just too much hiking back and forth. There's a small pick up group I shoot with sometimes that shoots KYL but it's informal. I have the KYL target and mostly shoot that by myself. MY range is 95% pistol matches. A organized KYL match (like you see on youtube) can't get started but the KYL shooters are trying to get it going.

Get as much shooting as you can when you can because the weather in your neck of the woods could be changing to winter soon!!!

Don

Basic Member
    All you have to do is remove 1 pin and change the triggers.
    back2wyo: I don't know how it's shipped (cocked or uncocked) but I assume it has to be in the cocked position to install?

Basic Member
    It's shipped cocked. All you have to do is remove the action from the stock. Remove the recoil spring and push the ping at the rear out from the right side. The left side of the pin has a head on it. Push the trigger assembly to the front and out. Reverse to put the Jard in. On the last on I just got in, there was a ridge on the right side of the Jard frame that I had to remove so that the trigger would fit in the receiver.

Basic Member
    WYO: I'm waiting on delivery of the Jard, which I ordered 7/1 - should arrive this week. Anyway, the A22 is cleaned with the original trigger removed. I could have lived with the high trigger pull but what bugged me was the pre pull snap I heard plus the gritty I felt and heard. Looking over the original trigger I can't see where either is coming from.

I have the Boyd at one stock, which I purchased to mitigate the grit noise. The mag fit was a problem. I gave the poly stock to my son in Ca - I should have keep it to compare the Boyd - but now I have it back as I was going to sell the Boyd and I see the problem - the plastic tab vs the mag lock tab - which I think (hope) will be an easy adjustment.

I assume you're from WY. A gal I knew dad owned a ranch out side of Cheyenne and we spent a couple of vacations there - best vacations I ever had. The neighbors were the greatest. They didn't care where you came from or what you did for a living - unlike the screw balls I lived with in Southern Ca. Down to earth county folks - kinda like Tucson folks. Wouldn't have minded living there - in the summer not the winter.

Basic Member
    I just put my A17 17M2 into a Boyd At-One. The front action screw hole was not centered and I had to file the hole out to get the action screw to fit into the receiver correctly. I also had to file the sides of the stock where the magazine fits as it was too tight.

I move back to Wyoming after retiring from a SW state who's politics has gone off the rails and it's not California.

Basic Member
    It's shipped cocked. All you have to do is remove the action from the stock. Remove the recoil spring and push the ping at the rear out from the right side. The left side of the pin has a head on it. Push the trigger assembly to the front and out. Reverse to put the Jard in. On the last on I just got in, there was a ridge on the right side of the Jard frame that I had to remove so that the trigger would fit in the receiver.
    I installed the Jard yesterday. It was a very tight fit - I thought I might have run into your problem - but I got it in. It's a little stiff but assume that will work out over a short period of time. Fired 20 rounds today with no problems. There is a slight bit of pre travel creep but I can live with that. I ordered 2 lbs and I'll check it when I get my pull gauge Saturday. Overall I'm satisfied with the purchase but I don't like being about $250.00 lighter!!

On the Boyd at one - I also had to ream out the front tab hole to get the mag latch to engage.