Thread: Savage Model 12 LRPV Ejection?

Basic Member

Savage Model 12 LRPV Ejection?

I'll apologize in advance as I know this was covered somewhere at some point but a few different search's have left me feeling like I'm drinking from a fire hose.

So I know that at some point in the past, the Mod 12 LRP Savage Model 12 LRPV had a RH bolt with RH ejection. I also see that current production is RH bolt and LH ejection. However, I've seen pics of some models with a RH bolt and ports on both sides. My question is: What side does that style eject from?
    Also, any advantage/disadvantage to any of these styles or is it all personal preference?
    Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!

Basic Member
    The single shot was made to appeal to target shooters. The target receiver with only a smaller loading/ejection port will be much stiffer than the std receiver with full top milled out as well as the bottom milled out for a magazine. LH or RH port/bolt is simply a shooter preference. Some shooters like to have a port on the side opposite to the bolt handle. Others like it on the same side.

Basic Member
    My 12 LRPV is a Right hand bolt and a Left hand port. I'm left handed and love it. I gotta believe preference may have something to do with being left or right handed.

Banned
    As to your question WeeHooker, the Target Action you are referring to with RH & LH ejection ports, will eject to the Right if a RH bolt with RH ejector is installed. It’s the Ejector that decides which way the casing is thrown, not the port opening side.

Basic Member
    Thanks, that's what I suspected. I just didn't know how the bolt was et up on that model.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeHooker View Post
    Thanks, that's what I suspected. I just didn't know how the bolt was et up on that model.
    I’ve never seen a factory Savage rifle with it, on the Action like this. Duel-Port. It’s set up for Right Hand Eject.

For some target shooters, the dual port has the advantage of throwing the cases to the right
    and not interfering with the loading process on the left. This is handy when you need to run
    fast on a target to stay in a condition. Note that the Dual ports have a different screw spacing
    and problematic with finding stocks.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Thanks again to all that responded. Very helpful!

Basic Member
    If the target actions benefit is that it is stronger/stiffer for not having a magazine cut then wouldn't they be losing that advantage by having duel port? Location and size of the ports are different but still removing material.

What shooting competition are they needing to go so fast in that they have to be loading in one port while still ejecting from the other??

Banned
    Understand, a stiffer Action is not synonymous with Greater accuracy. While is certainly can be, this is not a given. Remember that with Competition Target Shooters, the aim is to eliminate any possibility of weakness. It’s about having the highest consistency. The single shot, single port Action retains the crown for that. The single shot, Duel Port claims 2nd stiffest, and the Target ported Action WITH Mag cutout 3rd. However, these are insignificant IMO, as there is no way to discern accuracy potential.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    If the target actions benefit is that it is stronger/stiffer for not having a magazine cut then wouldn't they be losing that advantage by having duel port? Location and size of the ports are different but still removing material.

What shooting competition are they needing to go so fast in that they have to be loading in one port while still ejecting from the other??
    Maybe it does. I suspect that unless you shoot in the 'ones' you probably won't see any difference between the target and std actions.

The ports are just what people like. As Fuj put it, it is more for convenience than anything else. Such as, why have ejected rounds coming out in the midst of your ammo box, spotting scope, note pad, etc, etc? Some, like me, remove the ejector anyway and pluck the empty case from the chamber.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Maybe it does. I suspect that unless you shoot in the 'ones' you probably won't see any difference between the target and std actions.

The ports are just what people like. As Fuj put it, it is more for convenience than anything else. Such as, why have ejected rounds coming out in the midst of your ammo box, spotting scope, note pad, etc, etc? Some, like me, remove the ejector anyway and pluck the empty case from the chamber.
    Exactly my friend. It’s a “piece of mind thing”. It’s similar to something as say, Rings. Which do most people prefer, 1 or 2 screw Rings? 2-screw of course. But why? Because we know they are stronger! And even if that strength is not needed we want it anyway! Because it assures us our scopes aren’t going anywhere. It gives the user piece of mind. I’ll also say there is a hint of aesthetics preference here as well. Nice, Billet Aluminum 2-screw Rings look nicer. It can be argued the Small Port style Target Actions also look nicer. Even the large port style Action used in a few models are more aesthetically pleasing. But no, as Charlie mentioned, even those shooting consistent .25” groups won’t see any discernible difference. I’m a very good shooter, but I can honestly say I wouldn’t see any difference over my standard open style Model 10 Action. Thing is, this is true of Custom Actions as well. Go figure.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post

Long range bench rest is a game of speed. Most competitors can get 5 record shots down range in 30 seconds. This is vital to take advantage of the conditions before a radical change.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."