Thread: Two early & recently sold Savage 1899s in .250-3000

Basic Member

Two early & recently sold Savage 1899s in .250-3000

First, the links:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=102329374

https://milestoneauctions.hibid.com/...00?ref=catalog

I post these for a few reasons. First, to show that early .250-3000 Savage 1899s with condition seem to bring quite a premium.

The first one, not quite as nice as the second one, sold for $2499. With shipping, it cost $2549. It’s not quite as nice as the second one as condition, while good, isn’t as strong as the second one, and I think a later finish was added to the wood. Probably rubbed in oil, and certainly not a refinish. Manufactured in 1916.

The second one, manufactured in 1915, is about as good as it gets! 1915 manufacture. As with the first one, it has the tang sight. Hammered at $2400 today, but, with a 20% buyer’s premium, that’s $2880. With shipping, it’s likely pushing 3k.

Also, I’m guessing various individuals would have checkered these as there are subtle differences in the checkering, namely the 1916 example demonstrates a curve at the pistol grip at the lowest portions nearest the lever, whereas the earlier 1915 example demonstrates a more linear and pointed checkering pattern in this same area.

Any comments are welcome and valued.

Basic Member
    Thoughts anyone?

Basic Member
    No comments or thoughts?

I would like an early Savage 1899 in .250-3000 some day, and when I decide to pursue a particular firearm, I research the market first. Are both examples provided extreme outliers or actually what I might need to spend for one of these now?

I should add the one offered for sale at retail for $2499 sold in a day or two. So it didn’t linger for long.

Prices on the 99's have gotten too rich for my blood in recent years.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Prices on the 99's have gotten too rich for my blood in recent years.
    But…

Are these valuations fair for today’s market? Or outliers?

Inherently, .250-3000 is a desirable caliber. An early rifle with a perch belly stock is desirable. Condition is always desirable.

To put this into contact, while the $2500 to $3000 range might seem like a lot of money, it can get you a really high condition rifle. A comparable Winchester rifle from the same era will cost you significantly more. Conversely, spending the same money gets you much less in the way of condition.

Nothing is really consistent with the market for most anything these days. You can see two (insert thing here) in near identical condition for sale two different places and the prices can be worlds apart. As always, when it comes to older/collectible things the value comes down to condition, how much someone is willing to pay for it, and the patience of the seller to wait for that right buyer to come along.

I guess I'm just not willing to pay the premium to call myself a 99 owner these days. Yes there are still some reasonably priced ones in common chamberings out there, but I've bought and sold similar ones in the past and have little interest in those. The only 99's that catch my eye these days are those in the rarer chamberings which naturally are worth more due to their scarcity. I have no real practical use or need for one which makes it hard to justify spending that kind of money on something that will just sit in the safe 99% of the time. I already have plenty of money tied up in safe dwellers and don't need more. The only exception I might make would be for an ultra-rare 99 in 7mm-08 or .22-250 in minty condition, but those are 'needle in a haystack' 99's that you rarely ever see and are usually pretty salty if/when you do see one for sale.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Nothing is really consistent with the market for most anything these days. You can see two (insert thing here) in near identical condition for sale two different places and the prices can be worlds apart. As always, when it comes to older/collectible things the value comes down to condition, how much someone is willing to pay for it, and the patience of the seller to wait for that right buyer to come along.

I guess I'm just not willing to pay the premium to call myself a 99 owner these days. Yes there are still some reasonably priced ones in common chamberings out there, but I've bought and sold similar ones in the past and have little interest in those. The only 99's that catch my eye these days are those in the rarer chamberings which naturally are worth more due to their scarcity. I have no real practical use or need for one which makes it hard to justify spending that kind of money on something that will just sit in the safe 99% of the time. I already have plenty of money tied up in safe dwellers and don't need more. The only exception I might make would be for an ultra-rare 99 in 7mm-08 or .22-250 in minty condition, but those are 'needle in a haystack' 99's that you rarely ever see and are usually pretty salty if/when you do see one for sale.
    Thank you for your response!

So, how do these compare to what these should cost in today’s market—e.g., the two examples in the original post that I provided?

Also, you state you want a mint .250-3000. How close are these to mint? I’ve not seen many better lately. I do think the Guns International example has finish added later to the wood but, of course, the total cost was a few hundred dollars less than the auction example provided.

Last two 99's chambered in .22-250 that I saw in real nice shape both sold for between 3 and 4 grand earlier this year. The last nice 99 in 7mm-08 Remington I saw for sale was probably close to 15 years ago and sold on GunBroker for just over $2,800.

Basic Member
    Last two 99's chambered in .22-250 that I saw in real nice shape both sold for between 3 and 4 grand earlier this year. The last nice 99 in 7mm-08 Remington I saw for sale was probably close to 15 years ago and sold on GunBroker for just over $2,800.
    I guess you can’t get off cheaply if you want one of these!

Thank you for your reply.

Which one is the better of the two I posted or, perhaps, better value for the money?

There's a reason I've avoided your question on which is better - two actually. First, the one I can't even see as it's no longer available when you click the link. Second, I'm no expert on 99's so your guess would be as good as mine.

Basic Member
    There's a reason I've avoided your question on which is better - two actually. First, the one I can't even see as it's no longer available when you click the link. Second, I'm no expert on 99's so your guess would be as good as mine.
    Thank you for your response, nonetheless. It appears the Gunbroker listing has disappeared.