Thread: Advice needed on new Savage 110 build!

Advice needed on new Savage 110 build!

Hello everyone!
    I have been looking to build a rifle using a savage 110 tactical.
    Nothing too fancy.
    I am looking to just change the stock to a study BOYDS stock, glassbed it if needed.
    Also, a new custom barrel, I want it chambered in 7mm-08.

Can I just buy a savage 110 tactical in 308 win, buy a 7mm-08 barrel, and shoot with it?
    I know how to change the barrel and all..
    There are many savage threadings? standard, large, and target? What thread is the savage 110? Also, small shank large shank? Can I just buy any custom barrel that says for savage?
    https://mcgowenbarrel.com/shop/full-custom-barrel/
    If I get a custom barrel made I could just ask the maker to just make a barrel for my exact model, but it seems like lead times in most makers are 12 months.
    If I get a premade one,
    https://store.thirdgenerationshootin...liber/id/8841/
    like this one, and it doesn't fit my gun, Imma gonna be stuck with a barrel I can't use.
    Also, I'm not fixed on what company I will buy my barrel from. I actually don't know barrel makers. Tell me some top tier barrel makers. Also some that don't take ages to ship like kriger at the moment.

If there is anything else I should do in my rifle project, tell me! I'm earning new things every day watching people shoot long range.

Costs money to make different things. Savage make two barrel sizes to keep things simple and easy, large and small. Having 100 models of almost the same thing is just on paper. change a caliber, paint a stock, easy to build numbers.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Your link to the BBl site Does not say anything about "prefits" meaning chambered and ready to be screwed on , head spaced and shot.
    I would ask WHY a 7-08 over the 308, but to each his own. And the 308 will do a lot more that the 7-08 just my $0.02 having owned both.
    As to barrels , how much are you willing to spend ? Here is a site that lists the tier 1 barrels, note the cost, then check their threading and chambering costs.
    There are others that use what I call tier 2 barrels. And 90% of shooters can't tell the difference in the accuracy in barrels.
    Just "search" prefit Savage barrels" and just ask
    http://www.bugholes.com/Southern-Precision-We-build-exceptional-rifles-and-prefit-s/1818.htm

Basic Member
    Why a 110 tactical if you are changing barrel and stock? Bolt handle is probably the cheapest part to change. Bottom metal for AICS mags are available.

If you want a specific brand, caliber and profile barrel you may have to wait a while, sometimes 6 months or more.

Which brand? What are you going to do with this rifle and, not to be offensive, but how good a shooter are you?

I'm pretty much a new gun owner.
    Target shooting and shooting at hogs.
    I see. maybe I'll stick to 308.

Basic Member
    The .308 is an excellent caliber. As are many others available from Savage (and others). Many of us in here like Savage because of the ease of changing barrels. It is a bonus that many Savage factory rifles shoot very well without any mods.

7mm-08 is also a good one and I owned one for many years (Remington rifle though :) ). It would certainly do the job for you. I would think that a 6.5CM would also work and they are also fairly common these days. These also recoil a bit less than the .308. Lots of choices out there.

You might want to check what ammo is available to you from your local shops and let that help decide for you. Doesn't work very well to buy a rifle and not be able to get ammo for it. :)

Banned
    Do yourself a favor… look for the least expensive, used Savage Short Action you can find. Something like this. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/991110416 308, 7mm-08, 243 all have the right bolt face. Also, don’t listen to people trying to push you in another direction. Get the cartridge YOU want. A 308 will NOT do more than 7mm-08. That’s an old wives tail told by those who don’t understand ballistics fully. It’s your money & you are the one using it… no one else. Go with your gut. Unfortunately 12weeks is pretty standard right now. I ordered a new barrel on May 26 with a 12-20 week waiting period….. I’m still waiting obviously. But I’ve mastered patience. I recommend the study. You will likely end up with a Small Shank. As was said, just search for Savage Pre-Fit Barrel. Check with James at NSS https://northlandshooterssupply.com/...arrels-savage/ He is the distributor for Criterion. I ordered mine from him, but I did a very custom setup. He has many barrels in stock. Give them a call.

Basic Member
    The 7mm-08 is a fantastic cartridge if you load your own ammo. Most factory ammo is loaded for hunting ammo, so if you're wanting ammo for precision accuracy and you don't reload, you'd be better off sticking with a 308 or a 6mm / 6.5mm Creedmoor cartridge that offers many hunting and match grade factory ammo choices.

I don't know why anyone would buy a new Savage rifle in 308 and want to swap it out with a 7mm-08 barrel, but it's your money!

As far as buying a Pre-fit barrel, there are so many choices, and unless you're a professional competition shooter, the average shooter wouldn't be able to tell the difference with any accuracy differences between the cheapest and most expensive brands.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonny View Post
    I'm pretty much a new gun owner.
    Target shooting and shooting at hogs.
    I see. maybe I'll stick to 308.
    I would stick with .308 unless you are determined to start reloading.

As a new shooter, you have plenty of other variables to learn to deal with just to get the round to land in the right place. Starting to relaod complicates things significantly.

There are a ton of good choices in .308 ammo, from hunting, to target shooting, to long range shooting, you can easily get decent factory ammo for whatever you want to do.

I've been shooting competitive pistol and reloading pistol for years, but when I started shooting rifle, I didn't want to get into reloading just yet.

There is plenty to learn without adding the complexity of load development.

EDIT: Per your original post - I would skip the Boyds stock and look for something better. I have a Boyds stock on one if my rifles, and it isn't all that. I like my HS Precision stock on my Model 10, but there are other solid choices as well.

A thread I started after I purchased my first Savage bolt rifle in .308. Very basic, but has done well out to 1000 yards -
    https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...st-impressions

Team Savage
    Just buy a round back, small shank rifle go from there.
    And buy the caliber you will stick with and order a custom barrel in the same caliber.
    Then at least you can shoot while you wait.

Nothing wrong with 308, but I prefer 7mm myself.
    A while back, I dropped a 300# hog at 375 yards with a 7mm-08 hand loaded with 162 gr Amax bullets.
    Hold off with a Mil-dot scope.
    308 would have done the similar.
    If you plan to shoot long bullets, make sure to get a fast enough twist rate barrel.

Team Savage
    Anonny, I have done the exact thing you are looking at with multiple Savage rifles. Check your private messages and I may have something you might find interesting.

John V

I don't see a 110 tactical in 7mm-08.
    Or maybe I should go with just a 110 as I don't really need a 10 round mag.
    Looking online for deals for rifles that probably only have a dozen rounds through them is a good idea.
    I plan to reload, considering I can shoot so much more.

thats for the info. should look for a used rifle with 10 rounds on it instead of buying a 900$ gun.
    I'm looking to shoot pigs and target shoot with it.
    Will be moving to houston next year.

Looks like I haven't been on this forum long enough to gain permission for private messages.
    email me at diamondphonix@gmail.com or just reply in this thread.
    I plan on making a 7mm rifle that shoots, will be shooting pigs and paper.
    also upgrade it, doesn't need to do everything at once, but into a rifle that could do as well as other more expensive rifles with reloads.

Basic Member
    The 'easy' path is Northland Shooter Supply has model 10 actions in stock (short action). When speaking with them you can ask what barrels and triggers they have in stock. Sportsman's Warehouse also lists several Savage rifles in 7mm-08 as available for shipping. Take your pick.

If you want less expensive, then you could go to GunBroker or your local pawn/gun shops and look for a used rifle. Sometimes the ones that are in weird calibers are available at a lower cost than the 'popular' calibers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonny View Post
    I don't see a 110 tactical in 7mm-08.
    Or maybe I should go with just a 110 as I don't really need a 10 round mag.
    Looking online for deals for rifles that probably only have a dozen rounds through them is a good idea.
    I plan to reload, considering I can shoot so much more.
    Like I said, buy the most inexpensive 10/110 you can find, change the barrel to 7-08 & stick it in a chassis like the Oryx or other for 10rd AICS mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Like I said, buy the most inexpensive 10/110 you can find, change the barrel to 7-08 & stick it in a chassis like the Oryx or other for 10rd AICS mags.
    Don't buy online. There can be serious issues with an action and you will only find out about them when UPS/FedX/USPS delivers it.
    Things to look for. Twisted or bent action. Galled recoil abutments. Stripped or damaged threads. Modified bolt or bolt head. You can do good 5 times and the 6th time you will get "ruint".
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.