Thread: Is there a preferred bolt assembly style?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage

Is there a preferred bolt assembly style?

I have a new 12LRPV.
    I just got it, but I believe it to be old stock.
    It has a PXXXXXX serial number.
    I believe the newer ones have a cocked indicator, mine does not.
    My dilemma is, I am having ignition problems.
    My research tells me beefier aftermarket springs will solve my issues. Or Savage will let me send it back for repair. I think it is a fair assumption they would return it with the newer firing pin assembly.
    Would that be a bad thing? There's no aftermarket for that assembly that I am aware of.
    I am also hesitant to give up the rifle for an unknown amount of time.
    Another drawback to sending it in is the hastle of dismounting, and remounting the scope.
    Kind of a dilemma.

I would greatly appreciate guidance,
    Thanks, Bat

Banned
    You have the adjustable firing pin assembly which are WAY over-sprung. So NO, a new spring is not likely the issue. But first of all… what are your “ignition problems”? There are different kinds. Please explain exactly what is happening. If it’s not firing when trigger pressed and you hear it, are you getting light primer strikes, or NO primer strike? If no, than it’s the age old Accutrigger bug. (Which I’m thinking is what’s happening) In any case, we need more info to even begin to address your problem. But again, no, it’s more than likely NOT a striker spring issue.

Team Savage
    Soft Strikes:
    Roughly 15% not igniting. I hit them 3 times before I give up on them.

I have ruled out headspace issues. Brass is virgin Peterson 6BR. Measuring the shoulder on the unfired brass and comparing to fired brass, the shoulder moves forward .004 after firing. Thats pretty close.

The primer pockets measured .118 Saami specifications for small rifle primer pocket depth, is .117 to .123 My primers are well seated. I first encountered trouble with CCI450's. I have not encountered a "bad" primer yet since I started loading in '89. Maybe I was due. Tried CCIBR4s, same problem, same percentage of misfires. Odds of me encountering 2 batches of "bad" primers is astronomical. Tried Rem 7 1/2s. Same results. Odds of 3 separate bad batches converging on me all at once, nil. Primers are stored in the safe, climate controlled etc...

I measured firing pin protrusion thinking it would be short. It measured .067 If anything, I think that's a bit long.

I have not touched the trigger. It breaks at a very nice 1.5 pounds. I saw no need to mess up a good thing.

I don't think I can post pictures because I am new, but if you pm me your email address, I can email you some pics.

My research and process of elimination leaves me very suspect of a weak spring. If something isn't working, hit it harder! Right? LOL

Thanks for your consideration, Bat

Banned
    All sounds good. So you are indeed getting soft strikes on all unfired cases? Hmm.. that is quite odd with the adjustable style firing pin. And yes, .067” protrusion is WAY too much. .035” is best. How often is the soft striking happening? And have you tried shooting factory ammunition? If not, I would definitely try. Just to rule out something in the reloaded cases. Sounds like you know what you are doing, but I can tell you most of these we see, it’s typically user error. If you’ve tried factory as well with like results, I would look for a hangup; something prohibiting the striker from full release.

The next checking of sorts requires removing & disassembling the bolt & firing pin assembly. I don’t know what your level of DIY is. However, they are quite easy. You can check & set the pin for maximum pin fall (travel), and also set the protrusion correctly.

As for pictures, it’s best to use 3rd party. I use this: https://imgbb.com/ No sign up or email. Just upload, click picture and copy the “BBCode”, then paste in thread response. Easy-peasy, lemon squeezy!

Team Savage
    I don't know where to find factory 6BR ammo. They certainly don't have it at Wal-Mart! lol

I am getting roughly 15% misfires.

I have had the bolt apart, I didn't change the protrusion, as I didn't know the spec at that time.

Are the adjustable assemblies more desirable than the new style?

There are a few guys on accurate shooter.com that have had similar problems that were fixed by beefier springs.
    Please tell me why a bigger spring is a bad thing.

Banned
    OK, since you’ve had yours apart, let me make certain. Which firing pin do you have? New or Old style?

And I didn’t realize you had 6rb, glanced over in your 2nd response. Yes, factory ammo would be a problem for that, LOL!