Thread: New receiver issue

Basic Member

New receiver issue

The new round receiver is annoying due to the effort it requires to cock the bolt. Not sure if the cam angle is different or something?

Does having it worked on still offer a benefit on the new style as it did on the old?

Banned
    Not certain what you mean New vs Old. The Axis & Axis II have been in production for quite some time now. You may have something going on with it. By all accounts, the bolt lift on the Axis is not as bad as older 110’s. I recommend having some eyes that understand the platform & operation 100% take a look at yours first. May be a hangup you aren’t catching.

However, if nothing of this all the same tricks can be applied to the Axis as the 110. De-burr, polish bolt ramp edges, use a Lift Kit & longer bolt handle.

Basic Member
    When they switched to 8x40 screws they also changed the dimensions of the action. It is bigger due to less steel being removed. I work in a gun shop and have noticed that all the newer ones have a much heavier bolt effort and more notchy. Grab a newer one and see for yourself. My old style ones are much easier to use.

Basic Member
    Don't remember if this has been answered. Why the little tail on the firing pin spring in the Axis and why can't it be clipped off?

Basic Member
    The new one cock harder because they have changed the spring to 28 lbs.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Thanks Fred!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Don't remember if this has been answered. Why the little tail on the firing pin spring in the Axis and why can't it be clipped off?
    Charlie, the tail on the spring is necessary to hold the cocking pin in place, as it doesn’t use the sleeve like the older setup. The New pins on the 110 use the same thing. If it was removed, the cocking pin could easily fall out. This video shows it in detail around 1:40 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oues2vw_zqA

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbgalt View Post
    When they switched to 8x40 screws they also changed the dimensions of the action. It is bigger due to less steel being removed. I work in a gun shop and have noticed that all the newer ones have a much heavier bolt effort and more notchy. Grab a newer one and see for yourself. My old style ones are much easier to use.
    What dimensions have changed on the Axis Action ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Charlie, the tail on the spring is necessary to hold the cocking pin in place, as it doesn’t use the sleeve like the older setup. The New pins on the 110 use the same thing. If it was removed, the cocking pin could easily fall out. This video shows it in detail around 1:40 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oues2vw_zqA
    I understand that part. And I guess if I was banging the rifle around with the bolt open then there is a very slight chance the cocking pin could be worked out. But, it is under a lot of pressure when the bolt is open (it is fully cocked at that point). Maybe if someone uncocked the FP when the bolt was open, they might lose the cocking pin.

Basic Member
    Thanks sharpshooter. Any idea if I can switch it out?

Basic Member
    The biggest problem with the one piece firing pin is it is non adjustable. If the rest of the geometry is correct, the original spring set is fine. But because of manufacturing tolerances, things can get accumulate and get out of whack. To compound the problem, the cocking angle is too steep and adds .100" to the cocking lift and then de-cocks the same amount. The 3 piece spring is actually too short to give a consistent spring rate, so to get enough spring pressure on the bottom end ( fired position) the top end has to be more. Typically that set-up will yield 15lbs on bottom, 24 lbs. on the top. The multi piece firing pin assemble ( old style) will yield 20lbs on the bottom to 24 on the top.
    The problems of failure to fire usually are related to firing pin travel, but with a one piece pin that is non adjustable, you are limited to what the specs are. This is why Savage took the quick, cheap dirty fix of using a heavier spring. All this does is make it harder to cock on top of the fact it is already over cocking. But it did fix the misfires.
    I have made up some old style (multi piece) firing pin assemblies to fit the Axis which will allow for adjustability and the addition of a lift kit.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Banned
    Robin commented before, wondering if the Axis BAS’ were being Counterbored too deep for the spring seat. With all the problems people were having with Light Primer Strikes, simply adding a shim on the spring seemed to be an easy fix. Not changing to a heavier spring, rather problem with the preloading. Just like adjusting the Accutrigger down too much & the Sear tripping on closing the bolt. I actually think it would pretty easy to mod the 1-piece firing pin to make it adjustable. Just don’t have the parts & haven't bothered ordering them yet. I will at some point, but I have so many projects I can’t get to because of health issues anyway. Eh..

Basic Member
    So can I order an old style spring and put it in this rifle?

Banned
    No, I don’t believe the old style adjustable pin fits the Axis bolt assembly. The Newer pins, although looking alike, are different between the 110 SA & Axis, so I don’t believe the older pin setup can be adjusted to work in the Axis. However, I’ve not tried it.

Again though, you aren’t missing out. Either pin assembly can be made to function flawlessly. And both have their strong & weak points.