Thread: A good day with my 110. 1/4 MOA!

Basic Member

A good day with my 110. 1/4 MOA!

I haven't shot this rifle for over a year and had it dismantled for the cross country move from Oregon to Florida. Last week I got the itch to put it all back together and made sure the barrel nut was torqued to 40 foot pounds.

After the scope was zeroed and the barrel was warmed up, I ran some Nosler 168 grain blemished Custom Comps through it. I shot the best group ever out of this rifle at 0.23" for 5 rounds.

This is a long action flat-back receiver with a 308 Benchmark 5R barrel. It's bedded into a McMillan HTG stock. It has a NSS match recoil lug and barrel nut. The scope base is a EGW aluminum base and the scope is a US Optics LR-17moa 3.2-17x44.

Although I pictured it with the bipod, I used sand bags.

Thanks for looking!

Tony.

Great shooting! Have a LA Flat Back myself and I do like it.

So Oregon to Florida...what is that like?

Basic Member
    Nice work!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Great shooting! Have a LA Flat Back myself and I do like it.

So Oregon to Florida...what is that like?
    It's great! I can be myself here and not worry about some SJW calling me a name that ends in "zi", "ist", or "obe".

The humidity is different, but I've adapted and its only been a year.

Tony.

Banned
    Great shooting! And fantastic rifle. Only 45ft.lbs., huh? I torque my Savage Barrel Nuts to like 75ft.lbs. Anyway, that is some kinda move! I grew up in Pennsylvania, but then my wife & I ended up relocating to Tucson, Arizona. Loved it there. Unfortunately, a tragedy made it necessary for us to return to Pennsyltucky in 2008. That was far.. but your hike is a long shot more I say.

BTW: what made you decide on using a Flash Hider. If I’m not mistaken, that’s a Daniel Defense, yes? That was my go to Flash Hider for AR’s until I switched to the Surfire 3-prong. But not a typical thing on Bolt Guns; in favor of a Muzzle Brake that is.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Great shooting! And fantastic rifle. Only 45ft.lbs., huh? I torque my Savage Barrel Nuts to like 75ft.lbs. Anyway, that is some kinda move! I grew up in Pennsylvania, but then my wife & I ended up relocating to Tucson, Arizona. Loved it there. Unfortunately, a tragedy made it necessary for us to return to Pennsyltucky in 2008. That was far.. but your hike is a long shot more I say.

BTW: what made you decide on using a Flash Hider. If I’m not mistaken, that’s a Daniel Defense, yes? That was my go to Flash Hider for AR’s until I switched to the Surfire 3-prong. But not a typical thing on Bolt Guns; in favor of a Muzzle Brake that is.
    Thanks for the kind words! I don't really remember who made the brake. I stupidly took this rifle deer hunting one year as it was the same weight as my M14 that I used the year prior, but it killed me to haul that thing in the Pacific Northwest and I wanted something to protect the crown if I took a fall in a wooded area (that happened to me before). I bought a cheap flash hider and that's how it's stayed ever since.

I really should put a brake or a suppressor on it to make it complete.

As for 40 foot pounds, I took the advice of Frank at Bartlien Barrels in a recent conversation I had with him. It seemed to have worked! The smallest groups I ever shot out of this prior to this range trip was 0.412" back in 2021.

Do you have a good recommendation on a brake? I do have a Precision Armament M4-72 that I used to have on my SOCOM that I can throw on it and try it out.

Tony.

Basic Member
    Well, it looks like it's a solid shooter now. I pulled it off again today but I added a proper muzzle brake instead of the flash hider I had on before. It really dampened the recoil! It's a Precision Armament M4-72 severe duty muzzle brake.

After installing it and re-zeroing it, I shot another 1/4" group.

I had guests today, so we were shooting a lot of different guns. I'm going to spend some more time with it next range trip. I haven't even done any load development with it and I have better bullets on the shelf too. I've got some SMK's and Berger hybrids that I've neger loaded for it.

Looks like it's time to hand-pick some brass and dedicate it just to this rifle and fine tune the load. Although I don't know how much better I can reasonably get.

Tony.

Looks great !
    It's always a good feeling to get a gun back in order.
    Good luck in your new location !

Great shooting and a nice looking rifle!
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    Looks like I was slightly incorrect in my measurement. It's more like 0.3 MOA.

Thanks for the kind words!

Tony.