Touched on this in my barrel thread but thought I’d do a new thread with some pics, while I’m waiting the many weeks for my barrel, LOL! I’m making a new Recoil Lug from 6AL4V Titanium. I can absolutely tell you why you won’t find a single other Titanium Recoil Lug besides the bottom style for the Tikka T3 on the market. Because machining Titanium is one thing; but Drilling big large holes through thick portions of Titanium? Whole new ball game! Even going super slow, (maybe 200rpm, I still overheated & broke one of the Tungsten teeth on an Annular Cutter. Just no way a company can make them for Savage 110/Rem 700, sell it even double normal cost and make money. There’s no way. I’m only doing it because I can.

Started with an 8mm x 4” square flat bar of Titanium.

Cut a 1.375” x 2” rectangle & machined the sides square. Centered and machined with 1–1/16” Annular Cutter. Lots of oil!

Here’s the finished hole with all the lively Ti curls. And that’s just the circumference! Imagine the discarded material from boring the entire 1-1/16” hole!

Here’s the part in the jig I spoke of making in the other thread. This is a steel backed jig plate to hold on the magnetic chuck for my Surface Grinder Attachment. I already was using the grinder earlier today to face the steel plate in the jig. So I can get the Recoil Jig very flat & Square.