Thread: After market stocks / chassis for Impulse?

Basic Member

After market stocks / chassis for Impulse?

Anybody knows of after market stocks or chassis for the Impulse? I've been looking around and it is slim pickings!

Basic Member
    Isn't there an Impulse version of the Precision Elite? I suppose that MDT has one, although it's not a wide range of choices. I'm hoping for barrel extensions, too.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistoler0 View Post
    Anybody knows of after market stocks or chassis for the Impulse? I've been looking around and it is slim pickings!
    I've contacted a couple of the smaller stock makers about making a stock with the Impulse inlet, but none were interested in doing a one off stock.
    I was told that current stock receiver profiles would need a lot of tweaking because of the 5-3/16" bolt hole centers needed to mount the Impulse receiver.
    MDT and Boyd's seem to be the only ones willing to make stocks and i don't see it listed on the MDT website.
    I was told you would need to call to order one.
    I'm happy with my Predator stock.

SJC

Basic Member
    The Savage Impulse Elite Precision rifle comes from the factory with the MDT 1 piece ACC (Adjustable Core Competition) chassis.
    Savage Impulse Predator 6.5 Creedmoor 10rd AICS

Team Savage
    I've contacted MDT several times about buying an Impulse action inletted ACC stock and have heard nothing back from them.
    I'll be ordering a Boyd's At-one thumbhole stock next month for testing.
    Since I primarily hunt at night, I contacted Boyd's to see if they would consider(with partial compensation) swapping the bright aluminum LOP assy that comes standard with the At-one stocks for the grey colored LOP assy they offer and they said no.
    I didn't think that was a out of bounds request for a stock maker that customizes stocks, as all it takes is a press of a button to swap the LOP assy.
    So if I like the stock, I'll be giving the LOP assy a paint job, as I'm not paying an extra $40 for another LOP assy and have the other assy collecting dust.

SJC

Team Savage
    Me being Me, I ordered the stock from Boyds Monday AM and just got word that it'll be here Saturday sometime.
    After talking to some shooters that have used the At-one stock, I might have to order the longer LOP assy as I'm a larger than normal being and the factory LOP assy might not extend far enough for me.
    I will find out Saturday and if needed have to wait till the 7th to order the longer gun metal grey version.

SJC

Team Savage
    Swapped stocks this afternoon and found that the straight taper carbon fiber .243 X barrel and the Shilen match .260 varmint contour barrel don't fit in the Boyds barrel channel.
    The factory stock has a 1" wide x 5/8" deep channel.
    The Boyds has a 7/8" wide x 1/2" deep channel.
    The factory .243 fluted and unaltered .308 barrel assy's I have fit great and are free floating.
    There's no way in heck that the straight taper large shank 20-250 barrel is going to fit in the Boyds channel.
    I'll keep that in the factory stock for the near future.
    I'll have to Dremel out the Boyds channel to fit the CF barrel, as I'm afraid of splitting the stock.
    I was told I might have to order the longer LOP assy, but the stock LOP assy is adequate and tight.
    The cheek riser is wobbly though, but I can live with it.
    You do need to lower or remove the cheek rest to remove the bolt.
    Be careful if you remove the LOP or cheek rest assy's, as the locking mechanism's will fall out.
    The posts hold them in place.
    It's a well made stock and we'll see if it'll hold up to the abusive conditions of hunting in the mountains and fields of NY this fall and winter.

SJC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1706.jpg   IMG_1716.jpg   IMG_1712.jpg   Boyds Impulse LS.jpg   Boyds Impulse RS.jpg  

Team Savage
    Another added feature I found with the Ambi At-one thumbhole stock, is that it can be used as a thumbhole or a pistol grip stock.
    It's very stable when used as a thumbhole for precision shots and when quick cycling repeated shots, you can just grip the vertical grip area and use the top flat section of the stock as a thumb rest.
    I like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1717.jpg   IMG_1718.jpg   IMG_1721.jpg  

Basic Member
    I put an ATOne stock on my 10/22 clone and found the laminated wood to be more easily splintered than I expected. I had to modify it somewhat to fit my action, which is pillar bedded with an added rear tang, so there was some inletting to do. I think it came out ok, but be careful.

Team Savage
    I'll give it to a wood craftsman friend that has the correct tools to handle the job, as I like dealing with metal.

Don't open the barrel channel with a dremel - use a deep well socket of appropriate size wrapped in course sandpaper. You'll get a much cleaner and consistent result.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    My wood artisan friend dropped off the appropriate non powered hand tools, supplies and said do it yourself p#$$y, so I did.
    Wasn't as bad as I thought, probably because I had the right tools.
    Barrel free floated and ready for some range time.
    SJC
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230710_014555594.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	369.5 KB 
ID:	9643
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PXL_20230710_014604163.jpg   PXL_20230710_014635839.jpg