Thread: Scope Base For Model 12 LRVP ?

Basic Member

Scope Base For Model 12 LRVP ?

Well, I`m about to pull the trigger ( pun intended, I guess ). Seems like there`s 80 gazillion scope bases to choose from, certainly enough to totally confuse someone as inexperienced as yours truly! I plan to have someone who knows what the hell they`re doing mount the scope but I`ve got to provide the pieces/parts. Trying to pick out scopes and rings and bases is a lot more complicated, at least for me, than picking the actual gun! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Banned
    What are you doing with the gun & what is your price range? You are going to get 100 different responses as much of it is aesthetics. Some brand loyalty. Honestly, anything of decent quality will work. My honest thing pinion is look at some setups & decide the style you like. Might be a certain look speaks to you. Maybe a certain brand name will draw you in. It’s these personal connections to our gear that make this so much fun.

Perdonally I use. Talley 1-piece Picatinny rail & Audere 34mm rings. Both are made from 7075-T6 Aluminum. I generally like this material for rings/mounts/rails as it’s about the strength of steel & lighter. And is very affordable. (My Talley Rail was only $60 compared to that Murphy rail.) I stay away from 6061 mounting parts as it has much less strength, rigidness. If I would change one thing, it would be to a Murphy Titanium rail. However, at $234 just for the rail I haven’t been willing to get it. My setup below.

Rail/Rings/Scope

Rings:

Basic Member
    Thanks Dave. I`m leaning towards a picatinny rail., It`s what`s on my 110 and I like it fine. I won`t be shooting over 500 yards ( eventually ) , so I think a zero MOA rail would be alright (? ).

Banned
    Yes, a 0 or 20MOA rail will be fine. I use a 20MOA simply because it costs nothing extra, adds no harm and is capable of a bit extra range if ever wanted. But again, go with what you are most comfortable with. Honestly, we’ve had the conversation here so many times; it’s truly been shown that they ALL do what they should. Even very inexpensive mounting components made today will work extremely well! It’s just a fact. CNC machining processes today and the very good quality of even inexpensive 6061 Billet Aluminum have made mounting components very, very good for not a lot of money. While I prefer keeping to one of the many, many quality names for components, and although my Rail & Rings were just over $200 tor both, I can point a person to a rock solid setup for about $50 or less. This is why I ask a person their rough dollar amount budget besides intended use. We all have different budget allowances, and a person with a lower budget doesn’t mean they are any less dedicated to the hobby or have just as much fun as those with unlimited taps.

I get most my scope bases and rings from SWFA. Get a 20 MOA pic rail. You can also
    get the Burris Signature rings and dial in any MOA you want up to 40 MOA with a standard
    rail. Don't limit yourself.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Thanks guys. Another question. It appears that picatinny rails are designated short and long action (?). I`m assuming my Model 12 LRPV in .223 will be short action so I need a rail that`s designated short action. Is that an accurate assumption? Sorry for such basic questions. As you all can tell I`m not at all knowledgeable when it comes to rifles and their accoutrements ! I greatly appreciate everyone`s patience.

Banned
    You are correct. Short Action.

Basic Member
    My two savages have two different setups. The 12 has a Warne rail and rings. The Axis has a Weaver rail and the Savage factory rings. Neither are 20MOA and I shoot to 1000yd with the 6BR and .308 without a problem. But, as stated above, a 20MOA rail won't hurt anything. Both setups have worked well. Unless I was shooting a heavy recoil gun or competition I would not spend a ton of money on mounts/rings.

One thing I do not like about my Warne rings is they are the model with the vertical split. I really don't like that as it means every time the scope comes off it has to be leveled again. Big PITA. One of these days those will get tossed.

I guess SPUHR's are not contenders? 7075 T651
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    The Spuhr mount is awesome. But for $400, it’s in that area of cost/diminishing returns. Honestly, if price were no contention, I would do a Tier One Long Saddle mount. It’s a few bucks cheaper than a Spuhr, (and I mean a very FEW!), but it’s still in that same diminishing returns for the cost. But man oh man are they nice! Thing is, so are many of the standard rings available. The Audere rings I have also make the rings/mounts for some other high end scope manufacturers. They are a small Italian company which also makes a direct competitor to the Spuhr at a much lower price. And the rings/mounts they sell also come in fancy, schmansy plastic hard cases, with the cut out hard cell foam or whatever…which I guess PROOVE they are top shelf? LOL! Seriously though, I just won’t spend $300, $400 for scope mounting options. Whether it be a mount or rings, $150 is simply the most I will spend. For coming in right under that price the Audere are the highest quality rings I’ve ever seen. Perfectly machined, they use dedicated lugs machined in the bottom, instead of using the clamping screw to DOUBLE as the recoil lug for the ring. And they even have gripping striations machined in the inner circumference of the caps. (Nice touch)

Of course, once again we’ve discussed this. We know that for all short action & almost all long action cartridges, it’s quite easy to find very secure scope mounting for much, MUCH less $$. It’s just nice to know your scope mounting setup can handle the recoil of any rifle cartridge available. I know I could use my setup on an Anzio 20mm if I wanted!

yeah but you don't have to wast time leveling your scope when you buy a spuhr. :)
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Same applies to either Tier One mount. Anyway, I don’t bring the scope level to the scope mount or rings, I level the scope in relation to how I’m typically holding it to my shoulder & sighted on target. It’s a misconception, however the two aren’t necessarily synonymous. I do agree though, the Spuhr is an awesome piece of kit. Just not worth $400+ to me.

And here is the Audere. Close to $100 less than the Spuhr & $75 less than the Tier One.

Basic Member
    I do put a level on my cast bullet rifle. Just makes sure I have exactly the same setup each time. When you have a rainbow trajectory it matters a lot :)