Thread: Bad Bore

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Bad Bore

Let me try this again.
    Don't know why go daddy block my last post about this.
    Anyway, after shooting my new 110 Hunter in .223, it took forever to clean the copper fouling and never did get it all. Properly cleaned before shooting, then Properly broke in.
    Decided to bore scope it.
    Well the bore looks like D4 cat tracks.
    So it goes back tomorrow, I asked Savage to install a new barrel. Lady said turn around time is 5-8 weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20230523_175427.jpg  
    Failure is not an option

Basic Member
    Pic of bore
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20230523_175427.jpg  
    Failure is not an option

Banned
    Yes, I found that quite odd with the Go Daddy blockage, LOL!! Anyhoo..

If you were to do a search you would find threads almost identical yours posted about every 1-3 months by NEW Savage owners with Bore Scopes, at least as far back as I’ve been here (2016). Probably back to the beginning in 2006. The more important question is how many does it shoot? Sure, cleaning a barrel can be tedious. And that does add time. You could try another Copper Solvent. I assure you, it will all come out with some doing. And that will lesson as you shoot it. Barrels are a consumable resource. I recommend you simply shoot it until accuracy fades then get a good aftermarket barrel. Moot point I guess since you made up your mind. Here’s the point: The new barrel you get from Savage is very likely to have those same machining marks in the bore. Good luck though.

Perhaps one day we will live in a society where each barrel is judged not by the marks in their bores, but by the content of their shooting character, LOL!

Basic Member
    I almost bought a bore scope once. Then I realized I wouldn`t know what the hell I was looking at anyway, so I`ve just concentrated on how the gun shoots. I don`t care what it looks like in there if the bullets are hitting the target where I want them to. Well, most of the time.

Team Savage
    First problem??? BORE SCOPE!! You've got 5 shots going in the same hole and your new BORE SCOPE tells you your barrel is junk???
    You've cleaned the barrel, it still looks like chicken scratch, copper up the wazoo but you're still shooing bug holes. WHO you gunna believe??
    Same thing with a Chronograph. How fast?? Never seen anybody out run one of my shots. And you CAN clean your barrel too much.
    Don't sweat the small stuff.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

OP,

As has been said, that particular pattern of machine marks is pretty common on Savage barrels. It MAY or MAY NOT affect the way it shoots. My first Savage was worse than that, HOWEVER, it did affect the way it shot. It would shoot the first 3 shots almost touching when the barrel was clean, raw steel. But, as you continued to shoot it, the group pattern got steadily larger as you went. It never stopped growing in size. I would be at 1 foot by 1 foot patterns by the time I gave up in disgust at around 25-30 shots.

And it would take forever to get all the copper out during cleaning. Nothing helped the bore "smooth out". I tried bore paste, the "polish" as well as the course grit. I even tried fire lapping the bore. Nada. I did find that the method of putting a plug (sold in various parent case types by Sinclair's) in the chamber and literally filling the bore with solvent and letting it stand for a day was the best way to get the copper out.

This was on a BVSS in 22-250. I bought it for a prairie dog gun, which means lots of shooting during field days, and needing to clean it in "field conditions" if it needed cleaning. Anyway, I finally gave up on it and swapped out the barrel for a new McGowen barrel (this was the first one I ever did, Jim at Northland walked me through it via phone).

OP, I will tell you this, IF you send your rifle back to Savage, the first thing they are going to do is "test shoot" it with a 3 shot group.

If those 3 shots "meet" their accuracy "criteria", they will send it back to you and say the rifle is fine.

My advice is, If the guns shoots good (holes touching) and STAYS THAT WAY, I would just shoot it. If the gun's accuracy gets worse the more you shoot it, I would just rebarrel the rifle with a drop in replacement barrel.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkeytider View Post
    I almost bought a bore scope once. Then I realized I wouldn`t know what the hell I was looking at anyway, so I`ve just concentrated on how the gun shoots. I don`t care what it looks like in there if the bullets are hitting the target where I want them to. Well, most of the time.
    This post should make people think. And Mikie, stating the problem being a bore scope. So many shooters now buy these little scope tools having no idea what they are looking at. While the marks aren’t pretty, they just don’t matter, unless it’s cause for accuracy inconsistency. Even then, if a new rifle is shooting inconsistently, the bore is the last thing to suspect. This is an area where our modern world, with easy & inexpensive access to a borescope has failed us! It’s led to this new group of shooters who trash their barrel before ever shooting a single shot! And in this scenario with several very knowledgeable voices, and a venue with the most Savage rifle information anywhere online…. I’m still very skeptical the OP is even listening, and will still likely send it back to Savage because he’s convinced himself it’s a problem. Unfortunately, when that seed is planted in a man’s brain, it typically will grow regardless of facts. It’s just our nature.

I remember one guy who thought he had a custom barrel with ratchet rifling.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hylander View Post
    Let me try this again.
    Don't know why go daddy block my last post about this.
    Anyway, after shooting my new 110 Hunter in .223, it took forever to clean the copper fouling and never did get it all. Properly cleaned before shooting, then Properly broke in.
    Decided to bore scope it.
    Well the bore looks like D4 cat tracks.
    So it goes back tomorrow, I asked Savage to install a new barrel. Lady said turn around time is 5-8 weeks.
    Yikes.