Thread: Freebore option

Basic Member

Freebore option

I'm ordering a new barrel for my 308 FTR rifle. I can't decide between the .090" & the .170" freebore options. I would eventually like to go 1000yd, so that would dictate the .170" for use with 185gr & 200gr bullets. But being a tad recoil shy, I'm concerned about that. If I go with the .170" freebore, how would it shoot a lighter 168gr bullet? Will the 168gr be long enough to seat out to the lands?
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Banned
    Are you looking to load your 308’s out to 3.000+? Or do you use a Magazine and keep them at 2.950” MAX? HUGE difference here. IMHO, I’d stick to anything 178gr. & below in the 308 Win case. And for that range & 2.950” or less COAL, the .090” is the one to get. It’s maybe a little too short for the heavy bullets.. but .170” is pretty long.

I may be in the minority but I’m thinking go “long or go wrong” , I’m also not a FTR shooter but IIRC Berger 185 juggernaut was a great bullet for LR 308 , you may want to check out.

Banned
    Well, it comes down to a “a bit short” or “really long”. I believe a freebore of .110”-.120” would be about perfect. The 185gr Jugs will work in the .090”. The 200.02’s (I’m thinking that’s what you thinking about?), need the .170” for proper seating. I am skeptical if 168gr. Will work without very long bullet jump. But hey… Barrels are consumables. If you want to use the heavier bullets, go with .170”. And if it ends up not working out, use less freebore next barrel.

But you really need to be honest with yourself. Are you currently reloading, or buying off the shelf? Don’t buy for what you plan to do. Buy things based on what you Will ​be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Well, it comes down to a “a bit short” or “really long”. I believe a freebore of .110”-.120” would be about perfect. The 185gr Jugs will work in the .090”. The 200.02’s (I’m thinking that’s what you thinking about?), need the .170” for proper seating. I am skeptical if 168gr. Will work without very long bullet jump. But hey… Barrels are consumables. If you want to use the heavier bullets, go with .170”. And if it ends up not working out, use less freebore next barrel.

But you really need to be honest with yourself. Are you currently reloading, or buying off the shelf? Don’t buy for what you plan to do. Buy things based on what you Will ​be doing.
    Great points’

Basic Member
    1000yd competition or just for fun?

I had good luck shooting 155 Bergers and Hornady ELD's at 1000yd. Not 1/2MOA but sub MOA. The 175SMK's just seemed 'easier' to hit at that range.

Recoil. There is a significant difference, even with just the 175's, which is why I don't shoot them very much and why I didn't try heavier bullets. If recoil is an issue you may not like the heavier bullets. There are a lot of Palma shooters who do well at 1000yd with 155gn bullets (and 30" or longer barrels to get vel up a bit higher).

Mine were all with the std throat in the Savage 12BVSS. I could get the 155 Bergers to touch the lands. I could not seat the 155 Hornady's far enough out to touch. But, like the SMK's, they don't mind a bit of a jump. The 175 SMK's easily touched the lands, but, they did better with a bit of a jump.

FWIW, I measured my Savage throat at a bit under 0.120" when new, which is interesting because SAAMI std is .090".

If you are worried about recoil for a bench or belly benchrest rifle, think weight. Weight fixes recoil. If it is not for comp then brake it.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Indeed! Weight of the rig is the recoil ERADICATOR! My built Model 10 is over 16lbs with scope & all. It’s 260Rem, not 308 but still; I only load 140gr+ bullets and the thing barely moves. No Brake on mine. But yeah, worst case you can always go that route. People on either side of your bench will hate you, but they do their job. (I just hate those noise makers unless shooting something that truly needs one… like RUM, or Lapua Mag) But anyhoo

Basic Member
    Pick your bullet before you decide on free bore. I went through this a couple years ago on the 6mm Creed. I was lucky enough to find one of the guys that cut a slit in the case neck and pictured about 10 bullet in different free bores. I guarantee you that 80% of the people trying to give me advice were wrong. I won't order a barrel without being threaded for a brake anymore. Setup properly the rifle or oistol should only nudge straight back a couple inches , shove it straight forward to the stop for the next shot. With good muffs you won't hear the shot or the guy next to you.