Thread: Where to buy bolt release lever

Basic Member

Where to buy bolt release lever

As the title states. I didn't see it on the trigger page.

Basic Member
    IIRC, the bolt release 'knob' is part of the sear/bolt stop.

Banned
    If that IS what you are referring to. The picture below is the entire Sear/Bolt Release assembly with the Release lever circled.

I’m wondering… why are you are trying to locate this part? By any chance, did this happen too yours, as pictured below? If so, you can find them on EBay. However, they are sold with the complete Accutrigger assembly typically.

Is that MIM or just sintered?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Feels like stamped sheet metal to me.

Banned
    You won’t typically see flat stamped parts done with PM Sintering. And I don’t believe Savage uses anything MIM. Although I could certainly be mistaken. I believe it’s just a standard, flat plate stamping. It was likely broken due to stress fracturing. Like the way a soda can tab is bent back & forth until finally snapping off.

Normally i would agree, but stamped steel doesn't look like that when it breaks.

Click on the picture in Daves post that shows the broken portion of the sear, and then magnify it. It looks powdery. I am thinking Fred once said the triggers where sintered. Don't have a clue on how the sear is made. ......So why is it you can't even slightly bend the sear without risk of SNAP? Just rambling, These things keep me up at night. I need a life.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    I agree. In the picture, it has very course grain structure. That “powder” look to the grain. Why I said I wasn’t sure. Even cast parts don’t look like that. I would hope Savage doesn’t use anything conventional powder metallurgy. Funny, the steel I use in Blades is almost exclusively CPM, but not to be confused with Powder Metallurgy. CPM is Crucible Particulate Metallurgy. Anyway, Powder Metallurgy, or Sintered steel is about the lowest quality part processing there is. It’s inferior to investment casting & even MIM is superior. That grain look & how they break so easily, I wouldn't be surprised.

Basic Member
    I was thinking something like 1060 steel, hot pressed or heat treated. It would look like that when snapped.

Banned
    I have to disagree Charlie. I’ve worked extensively with 1060, 1080/1084, 1095 and several other of the 10xx steels. Nothing special, they are simple Carbon steels, and all very much alike, as the last 2 numerals simply represent the Carbon content. (Is., 1060 having 0.60% Carbon in solution.) While the grain structure among these will differ slightly depending on heat treatment, it has a distinctly different look than Powder Metallurgy or MIM.

Here is a typical simple Carbon blade broken after having had Austenization heat treatment & oil quench. While fairly heavy grain structure, it still keeps the faint “shiny” appearance of steel. Not that dry, powder look of steels we’ve heard of as Sintered, Powder Metal, MIM & even POT metal, all of which denoting a very low quality of steel. (Which it usually is.)

Basic Member
    The sears are stamped from 1018, then carburized to 56 Rc. The carburazation goes all the way through because the metal is so thin.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Banned
    Fancy word for Case Hardening. The part is baked in a temp. controlled oven at above 1700f for many hours. But it’s also dependent on the existing Carbon content. Anything under .50% is considered Low Carbon steel. In 1018 steel content is under .20%..very low!. Case hardening in 1018 can reach maybe .060”, so it is possible for such a thin part to be completely hard. Although, 56 Rockwell on the C-scale seems very hard for a gun part. That’s above Sword hardness, and even approaching the low end for knives. Gun parts tend to shatter at those levels. Of all the 1911, hammers, Sears, disconnectors I’ve set up, they were typically around 50hrc, even in the mid 40’s.

I do know the model 110 Sears are stamped 1018. They also don’t have a reputation for snapping as the Axis Levers apparently do though, so I don’t know. And unless that first picture I posted is suffering from some serious optical illusion, it doesn’t have that Powder Look to the grain as Robin pointed out. Which again, simple Carbon steels, including 1008/1018 & A36, don’t have that appearance. I think maybe Savage found a new supplier of cheaply produced Sears, unbeknownst to some. But who knows. I’m merely speculating… Albeit, based on photographic evidence & a heightened knowledge of Metallurgical types & processes. LOL!

I do hope others find this stuff as interesting as I do. If not, I do apologize. I just have an extreme fascination with Elemental & Compositional Metallurgy, as well as Ceramics & Polymer composites to a lesser degree.

Basic Member
    Kinda what I thought.

I only know a little about steels, mainly due to testing them in various failure modes. The higher carbon content steels tend to look like the sintered stuff when hot formed and failed. Many are not tempered, which changes the look a lot.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Kinda what I thought.

I only know a little about steels, mainly due to testing them in various failure modes. The higher carbon content steels tend to look like the sintered stuff when hot formed and failed. Many are not tempered, which changes the look a lot.
    You may be thinking of Cast Iron, which is actually simple steel with too much Carbon. Typically over about 2% the steel will become Cast Iron with very large carbides. It does have that look when broken. 2.00% or more Carbon is only used with other Alloying Elements in various High Alloy, High Speed steels. For instance, Crucible’s CPM REX 121 uses 3.4% Carbon.. Yet it also has 10% Tungsten, 9% Cobalt, 9.5% Vanadium, 4% Chromium & 5% Molybdenum! Talk about a full plate! The tremendous amount of Carbon is needed for the isolation of carbides in solution. While REX121 is brittle, it still makes an outstanding cutting blade, & not nearly as brittle as Cast Iron which is useless as a cutting tool. (Or any tool for that matter.)

Basic Member
    deleted

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    You may be thinking of Cast Iron, which is actually simple steel with too much Carbon. Typically over about 2% the steel will become Cast Iron with very large carbides. It does have that look when broken. 2.00% or more Carbon is only used with other Alloying Elements in various High Alloy, High Speed steels. For instance, Crucible’s CPM REX 121 uses 3.4% Carbon.. Yet it also has 10% Tungsten, 9% Cobalt, 9.5% Vanadium, 4% Chromium & 5% Molybdenum! Talk about a full plate! The tremendous amount of Carbon is needed for the isolation of carbides in solution. While REX121 is brittle, it still makes an outstanding cutting blade, & not nearly as brittle as Cast Iron which is useless as a cutting tool. (Or any tool for that matter.)
    I find the discussion of steel to be both interesting and very informative as I have little knowledge of it. I have purchased a few knives from Bucks custom shop over the last few years and have ordered the S30V.
    I never bothered to look into it until I recently heard about S35V and found that S30V was sintered, which I found interesting. I realize these are still production knives but I expected a better finish on the edge coming from the custom shop. I can see quite of bit of "chatter" along the edge and can visually see that the bevel is higher on one side than the other. I will say though it is as sharp as the dickens.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    I find the discussion of steel to be both interesting and very informative as I have little knowledge of it. I have purchased a few knives from Bucks custom shop over the last few years and have ordered the S30V.
    I never bothered to look into it until I recently heard about S35V and found that S30V was sintered, which I found interesting. I realize these are still production knives but I expected a better finish on the edge coming from the custom shop. I can see quite of bit of "chatter" along the edge and can visually see that the bevel is higher on one side than the other. I will say though it is as sharp as the dickens.
    Have to be careful with that.. calling every PM steel “Sintered”. Steel companies like Crucible & Böhler-Uddeholm use a completely different form of Powder Metallurgy than what you are thinking of by the term “Sintering”. The PM process & newest Crucible CPM processes are used for ultra high alloy steels to press into bars, or ingots. These are then roll pressed to various thickness, sizes. This is nothing like some companies making small, finished part through sintering. They only share that both metals started as Powder. However, for knife steel, it is only a now forge pressed Bar or Ingot which must then be hammer forged or Stock Removal (machined, & the process I use), to create a knife. In “Sintering”, the part is made with Powder Metal and then is “Sintered” with a binder in a furnace. Also, the steel used is typically lower quality.

I know several sites are calling the S30V steel “Sintered”, however, it’s not entirely correct. Powder Metallurgy & Sintered don’t necessarily go hand in hand. The steel used was made via PM process, then stock removal (Machining), was performed by Buck to create the blade. S30V & S35V are “ok”, but there are much better steels now. Once again, I only use Crucible CPM steels. CPM3V (the greatest steel EVER!) and CPM20CV(an incredibly tough & corrosion resistant stainless, so resistant, it can be used as a dive knife.)

Here is a great article by a brilliant Metallurgist I’ve had some dealing with in the past. An easier way to think of the difference is older technology in order to create small, finished parts from regular, low carbon steels VS Newer technology to create steel pressed Bars or Ingots for further machine processing to finished product, & from High Alloy steels.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/08/...er-metallurgy/

Basic Member
    Dave that's exactly what happened. It was my faut as I tried to bend it just a touch.