Thread: Savage Axis .243 Mag for Boyd's long action stock

Savage Axis .243 Mag for Boyd's long action stock

I have a Savage Axis 30-06 that I have rechambered to .243 it is fitted to a Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock. I have both the original "long action" 30-06 magazine and a short action .243 magazine. My issue is the .243 mag doesn't fit the Boyd's stock and the ought' six mag doesn't feed the .243 cartridge. I can put two snap caps into the long action mag and it will feed the top two rounds problem free. I tried putting the follower from the .243 mag into the 30.06 but it doesn't fit due to the cut outs not lining up with the mag wall. Conversely I have tried the metal, spring and follower on the 30.06 mag base but the cut outs don't line up. Anyone have any suggestion? Basically the short action mag is too short to catch the stock and the original mag doesn't feed the new caliber. Thank you for any wisdom you can impart!

Basic Member
    A bubba fix would be to build up the rear of the magazine so it fits the longer opening and the rear lip engages. This would force the magazine toward the front of the mag well and then the latch will catch on the forward lip. This should position the magazine such that it would feed properly. Worst case is it doesn't work and you ruin a magazine that doesn't fit your stock anyway.

I've done something similar using JB Weld but any of the epoxy putty products would work as well.

Banned
    Like Charlie said, or the alternative is to make a filler block for the 30-06 magazine so the round is pushed forward more. At that point, the 243 follower may fit, or just modify the 30-06 follower. Can make one from Aluminum, or a hard polymer such as Delrin… even wood could be used.

Anyone have any suggestion?
    Yep. Personally I would buy an Axis short action stock. Why? Because I had the same exact issue as you have and that was the best solution for me...now have Axis action lengths covered and no more magazine issues.

Thank you sir I will give it a go!

Appreciate the suggestion, may have to try if the fuller method fails

If all else fails I will purchase a new stock. Just happen to have this particularly nice one with the barrel channel opened up, pillar bedded and with a finish that looks really good compared to some other Boyd's I have had in the past. Last one I bough I paid the extra cash to get it unfinished so I could just do a good job myself.

barrel channel opened up, pillar bedded and with a finish that looks really good
    I got a Boyd's Featherweight Thumbhole for my second stock and did the same.

I'm assuming you had the Boyds stock on this rifle long before you decided on doing the barrel change. Rather than messing up a perfectly good (and somewhat expensive) magazine, I'd just order another stock from Boyds or maybe keep an eye out for a discounted one on their Rapid Fire page.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain