Thread: Contender hammer fix?

Contender hammer fix?

The rimfire "striker" on my G1 contender is gone. The hammer has the selector on top (not the slider). This allows the main shaft of the striker to lift up when fired or dry fired, and the least is annoying.
    Can I repair this? If so, what parts do I need?

In a brief email with a contender gunsmith, I was told it cannot be repaired, and I should just order a new hammer (he has some used one for sale). I am going to call on Monday and actually speak to him about it, because I need to order so other springs, etc to try and fix some other issues I am having (and because no springs have been replaced ever, and the gun has not been disassembled in the 25 years I have owned it and cleaned).

Might try and post pics later.

Quote Originally Posted by penrod72 View Post
    The rimfire "striker" on my G1 contender is gone. The hammer has the selector on top (not the slider). This allows the main shaft of the striker to lift up when fired or dry fired, and the least is annoying.
    Can I repair this? If so, what parts do I need?

In a brief email with a contender gunsmith, I was told it cannot be repaired, and I should just order a new hammer (he has some used one for sale). I am going to call on Monday and actually speak to him about it, because I need to order so other springs, etc to try and fix some other issues I am having (and because no springs have been replaced ever, and the gun has not been disassembled in the 25 years I have owned it and cleaned).

Might try and post pics later.
    Not sure I follow what you are saying. Would definitely like to see pictures
    Doug
    Enjoy Life but remember we are only practicing for something Better.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dkWEoydm5NZEJn

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dkWEoydm5NZEJn

No idea if those will let you see the pics I took or not.
    to try and clarify: I am missing the rimfire hammer nose pin, the selector detent ball and selector detent spring. The manual states they are factory install only.

And one more try to share a link to the pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6kDoWXanNhn9gtYg8

Wow don't think I have ever seen that before. I'll have to check into that
    Doug

I would buy the used hammer. I haven’t seen any new replacement hammers for sale in a long time. And haven’t ever seen the replacement parts you are needing.

That's just a hardened pin. If you can manage to find or make one that's a size to be forced into the hole, it'll at least hold your centerfire pin in place.
    Also...The SSK parts are supposed to be an exact copy of the original, I'd look into that: https://www.hausofarms.com/SSK-50G1-...LY_p_4159.html

JA,

thanks for posting that link. That is a very reasonable price.

I'm not sure whether any of these parts have been sold for use on Contender frames but they were offering parts long before they had SSK frames so if they sold any, they would have to have been used on TC frames. It might pay to give Marty a call.
    I bought one from Numrich Arms a couple of years ago but I'm sure it was cheaper than this:https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1933120

The SSK hammer is a direct replacement for yours. That's a new one on me too, I'm sure it can be fixed by the right person but no doubt it will be cheaper to get a new one. Gun Parts corp. had some original hammers in stock a while back also but Haus of Arms is less expensive.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    Best of luck on a fix. As a backup, Bellm's is also showing that hammer assembly for the Contender/SSK.

I once upon a time bought a Contender years ago and when I got it home the rimfire pin was missing. Though mad at myself for not catching it,
    I cut off a section of a drill bit and pushed it in the spot. Has worked ever since. Am talking the back of the bit, not the cutting area.

Thought about doing the drill bit/ pin replacement - kind of wanted to do it the right way, and willing to spend some amount of money to do it the right way. The parts - detent ball, spring, pin, should just be 10 bucks or so.

I have enough other possible issues with the frame I was going to go through and replace all the springs and clean it anyway - no need to rush but it is likely 50 years old or more.

Just not sure if its even doable DIY correctly. Mostly likely will buy a new (or new to me) hammer and keep this as a spare to jury rig later if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonegle57 View Post
    I once upon a time bought a Contender years ago and when I got it home the rimfire pin was missing. Though mad at myself for not catching it,
    I cut off a section of a drill bit and pushed it in the spot. Has worked ever since. Am talking the back of the bit, not the cutting area.
    That would be my approach.

Team Savage
    That looks like a fair price for a Contender Hammer. Please tell me where I can get an ENCORE Hammer?

I have one like that (and a slider version). Isn't the striker just a pin? How about tapping in a roll-pin of the proper diameter trimmed to length?
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Check this out:

https://www.sskfirearms.com/hammer-a...lete-9186.html

I've ordered from them before. Good price - parts fit. Or Haus of Arms...

Quote Originally Posted by Normrep55 View Post
    Check this out:

https://www.sskfirearms.com/hammer-a...lete-9186.html

I've ordered from them before. Good price - parts fit. Or Haus of Arms...

Bought some dovetails from them about 2 weeks ago. Quick shipping and great price
    Safe shooting
    Doug

I tried that in the past, it was one of those ideas that "looks good on paper". The roll pin out mushrooms after a few shots, hits both firing pins & firing pin protrusion is shortened.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    I have one like that (and a slider version). Isn't the striker just a pin? How about tapping in a roll-pin of the proper diameter trimmed to length?