Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: SSK-50 update

Quote Originally Posted by ramon View Post
    Well Marty called me Monday and said the next order was coming in on Friday thats today.So he has my money for two of the lynx. Been on waiting list since first of 2020. Happily waiting on my toys not so i can see them with the two custom grip sets by poppy dave. Already have some with ga jim that looks and works very well.
    I talked with Marty last Sunday. Got tracking last night. My two flatsides are on the way. One is mine one is for my Grandson. Tracking says they will be at FFL Tuesday. It has been a long wait but glad to see it come to fruition. Always glad to see new Contender items.
    Safe shooting
    Doug
    Enjoy Life but remember we are only practicing for something Better.

Basic Member
    So I got on the list a few months ago. Any idea of how long a wait I might have?

Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    So I got on the list a few months ago. Any idea of how long a wait I might have?
    From what I understand they are still filling back orders from the first list. We have had 3 frames come into the shop so far. You might try an email to Haus of Arms, as I understand it they are the only distributor.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    You might try an email to Haus of Arms, as I understand it they are the only distributor.
    Haus of Arms is not exclusive...Bellm, Eabco and even Midway are listing the frames and are selling out as fast as they get stock. There may be other sources but nothing seems to last long enough to get an order in.

Quote Originally Posted by J A XSP View Post
    Haus of Arms is not exclusive...Bellm, Eabco and even Midway are listing the frames and are selling out as fast as they get stock. There may be other sources but nothing seems to last long enough to get an order in.
    I don't know if any of them have actually had frames in stock, I did hear an unsubstantiated rumor that Bellm made some sort of deal to supply springs. Hopefully everyone has them soon!
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

I don't know if any of them have actually had frames in stock, I did hear an unsubstantiated rumor that Bellm made some sort of deal to supply springs. Hopefully everyone has them soon!
    On the Facebook group there've been a number of posts reporting actually ordering and receiving frames from Bellm. Haven't kept up close enough to know for certain about actual orders and shipments from the others. It would be better if Marty was the only one getting frames to ship, at least until he gets through the years-long waiting list.

Basic Member
    I have seen them in stock at Midway. You got to be quick to buy one cause they don't last.

Just got an email blast from Marty saying that they're in effect doing away with the waiting list and just sending a blast email to the entire list when frames are available and it's FCFS - whoever manages to get back to Marty before they run out...If you've been on the list for years, your chances are exactly the same as someone who signed up after the frames started shipping. Oh, well.

Marty is being screwed over by SSK, IMO because they've cut his allotment to 20 per week. I don't blame him at all and it makes sense to do something different but it's sort of a disappointing let down after all the anticipation and thinking that the time might eventually come around that I'd be guaranteed a frame or two.

Bottom line...if you want a frame just keep playing wack-a-mole on the internet, checking all the sources daily and see where they pop up. If you're lucky, you may get one before the prices go up as they inevitably will.

Sounds to me it’s easier to source a used original frame. Not a flat side if that’s your preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjshell View Post
    Sounds to me it’s easier to source a used original frame. Not a flat side if that’s your preference.
    They've been few and far between, as far as I can tell. Also very hard to find stainless. Not to mention that it would be nice to have something that's doesn't have 40 years worth of wear and tear. :)

Basic Member
    They've been few and far between, as far as I can tell. Also very hard to find stainless. Not to mention that it would be nice to have something that's doesn't have 40 years worth of wear and tear. :)
    Well that's disappointing news but I have to agree on the wear and tear. My first one was in the 13K Serial Number and that was late 80's and it had issues then but a local smith named Van Horn took care of those.
    Fast Forward a good 20+ years and that one would also fail to fire once in a while.

Used frames can be had, I’ve seen some indications that the prices are coming down a little. May be due to the introduction of the ssk-50. Either way I appreciate ssk coming out with new frames.
    i’m not a flat side guy, I like their cat.

I came up with 3 used frames this week, one of them needs a new hammer spring but it was priced accordingly, the other two were in fantastic condition. I should add here that all three were the non-easy open frames as those are my favorites. I saw 3 or 4 stainless frames at a local gunshow this weekend that were way over priced ($650.00 each) and a handful of complete guns both carbine and pistol configurations that were all overpriced IMHO. They are still out there but sometimes you have to scratch to find them. There are several on Gunbroker right now, price and condition vary.

I just want to put in another rousing endorsement for Marty and HOA. I've gleaned a little more information about the whole situation and it's just made me more disappointed in SSK's handling of it and even more respectful of Marty. It's plain that he has gotten the short end of the stick but he's going way above and beyond to try to honor his commitment to the process and find a way to equitably handle the waiting list situation.

Basic Member
    I came up with 3 used frames this week, one of them needs a new hammer spring but it was priced accordingly, the other two were in fantastic condition. I should add here that all three were the non-easy open frames as those are my favorites. I saw 3 or 4 stainless frames at a local gunshow this weekend that were way over priced ($650.00 each) and a handful of complete guns both carbine and pistol configurations that were all overpriced IMHO. They are still out there but sometimes you have to scratch to find them. There are several on Gunbroker right now, price and condition vary.
    Hey Bob,

What is it that you prefer on them over the easy open frame?

Hey Bob,

What is it that you prefer on them over the easy open frame?
    I think that the triggers are (on average) a little better and can be safely adjusted a little lower. The other big selling point to me is that they can use any factory forend without interference. The fact that they are usually cheaper doesn't hurt anything either. I should qualify my statement about the triggers. For target shooting I like very light triggers and for me, the early triggers are easier to get a pull weight in the 6-8 ounce range without push off than the easy open triggers. I like my hunting triggers in the 1-2 pound range. I do have a couple of easy open frames with very good triggers too though!

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=J A XSP;521018]Just got an email blast from Marty saying that they're in effect doing away with the waiting list and just sending a blast email to the entire list when frames are available and it's FCFS - whoever manages to get back to Marty before they run out...If you've been on the list for years, your chances are exactly the same as someone who signed up after the frames started shipping. Oh, well.

Are you sure Marty said this?

[QUOTE=Julesk;521230]
    Just got an email blast from Marty saying that they're in effect doing away with the waiting list and just sending a blast email to the entire list when frames are available and it's FCFS - whoever manages to get back to Marty before they run out...If you've been on the list for years, your chances are exactly the same as someone who signed up after the frames started shipping. Oh, well.

Are you sure Marty said this?
    I talked to Marty directly...The only piece that's not quite accurate there is that he's breaking the list down into smaller groups to notify of the impending availability. He put out the first notice yesterday and set a time to make the transaction possible. He's got it set up so that you have to have a special link and only the folks on the immediate list will be allowed to buy.

I signed on exactly as soon as the link went live and 15 seconds later had 2 in my cart. I got as far as the final digits of my card info and the items vanished from my cart. Needless to say, that was quite a letdown. Marty is doing his best to handle things in an equitable way but I think that trying to make a purchase in less than 20 seconds is more frustrating than just waiting a long time for an actual guaranteed purchase.

We'll see how it plays out over a few more cycles. I know he only had something like 14 frames available on this last shipment. Maybe if he gets more in a given batch, there'll be a better chance of completing a transaction before they vanish.

Basic Member
    Myself I wouldn't let SSK Industries change my shoe laces.....kept quiet long enough about how SSK has changed into the worst gun company in the gun industry.....I first had JD Jones make a barrel for me in 1980 and I had SSK when he owned it do many rifles, handguns and barrels always perfect nothing could be found wrong in any way or form every one a fine firearm...
    Then JD Jones had sold the Company and was no longer involved with the business I talked to Brian about a job that they had done several times for me....they were the only Company that was allowed to chamber the caliber the conversion I wanted and had done several for me....it was a Winchester 70 WSSM CRF a very hard gun to find then converted to 50 B&M SS....usually SSK could have a gun completed for me in less than 6 months figures 8 months would be enough for me to get the gun for the hunt that fall.....
    Well things didn't go as planed and I didn't get the gun for the hunt it took 14 months....
    When I received the rifle it looked good same quality that I expected without JD Jones at the rains at SSK....I was to be surprised when I went to the range !
    Mounted a Trijicon 1.24-4 scope on it loaded up some ammo and took it to the range and find out what it would do....well at 25 yards I couldn't keep it on a 2' square target....first thought the scope was no good....so it was the end of my shooting that day....went home loaded up some more ammo and put a new scope on it a new out of the box Nikon 2-7 power....
    Back at the range at 25 yards same thing had a hard time keeping it on a 2' target the iron sights were just as bad....I was puzzled ? Took the gun home again its 35 miles each way to the range ! Talked to several friends that had the same rifle even measured every bullet .500" no problem with the bullets....then I took a bullet and put it in the barrel it just fell in the barrel was not .500" it was .510" that was the problem !
    So I called SSK they told me to sent the gun back and would reimburse me for the shipping and insurance.....so back it went....7 months later I got the gun back....first thing I did was measure the barrel it was OK !
    Went to the range again this time it was putting the bullets in the black.....on 4 power at 200 yards it shot just under 1 1/2" !

I never received the money for shipping the gun back even tho a copy of the bill it was sent to SSK hell not even a note "sorry we screwed up the barrel on your gun"or something .....its a shame JD Jones would bend over backwards to make sure a customer was satisfied.....

New owners of SSK will not build a custom rifle at all my rifle was the last one they built....it's a shame JD Jones build a company with customers that have had them do work for decades and to throw it all away....

Basic Member
    I never did like the idea of ordering something that didn't exist at the time this all started. It's confusing to me. Maybe would have been better to wait till 500 or more frames were ready to ship but I guess that won't happen because of the small operation. I guess if your wanting one ya just hafta be there at the right time.

Basic Member
    I think that the triggers are (on average) a little better and can be safely adjusted a little lower. The other big selling point to me is that they can use any factory forend without interference. The fact that they are usually cheaper doesn't hurt anything either. I should qualify my statement about the triggers. For target shooting I like very light triggers and for me, the early triggers are easier to get a pull weight in the 6-8 ounce range without push off than the easy open triggers. I like my hunting triggers in the 1-2 pound range. I do have a couple of easy open frames with very good triggers too though!
    I really like a light trigger too. My first Contender was light, this one could be lighter. My hunting rifle is at 2.5 lbs with a Timney which works well. It is an old 700 in 7Mag with a Swarovski scope with a turret that maxes out at 625 yards. I haven't shot it past 430 yards on paper but did kill an Elk last year at 400. For target shooting lighter is better especially for really long distances.
    My old HP Silhouette rifle had a 2oz trigger.

For target shooting lighter is better especially for really long distances.
    My old HP Silhouette rifle had a 2oz trigger.
    My short range bench rest rig has a trigger somewhere between 1-2 ounces, it's a Kelbly Panda action with a Jewell trigger. I like 'em light!

Do you have many friends Kenny Wacker? If you feel nothing can satisfy maybe you're the problem.
    All Things Contender

IN NO WAY Promoting these or in ANY way affiliated with them just AMAZED (FEEL FREE to delete if inappropriate)

I am sure this is not the first for sale on GB but it is the first I have stumbled across.
    SSK-50 flatside NEW
    Opening bid $395
    Current bid $425

And if you have to have one BUY it NOW is $750

Was also watching a HHI Original SS Flatside Woodswalker Complete pistol that SOLD for $2830

WOW
    Safe shooting
    Doug
    Enjoy Life but remember we are only practicing for something Better.

Quote Originally Posted by tred1956 View Post
    IN NO WAY Promoting these or in ANY way affiliated with them just AMAZED (FEEL FREE to delete if inappropriate)

I am sure this is not the first for sale on GB but it is the first I have stumbled across.
    SSK-50 flatside NEW
    Opening bid $395
    Current bid $425

And if you have to have one BUY it NOW is $750

Was also watching a HHI Original SS Flatside Woodswalker Complete pistol that SOLD for $2830

WOW
    Safe shooting
    Doug
    It seems stupid to overpay but I'm sure that some buyers have been counting on an ignorant clientele in the secondary market. I'm not surprised.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234