Thread: Upgrading suggestions for my Axis ii

Question Upgrading suggestions for my Axis ii

About a year and a half ago I purchased a Savage Axis ii overwatch edition rifle from a pawn shop for about $350. I was looking to get a different rifle and sell this one but this thing just shoots. Ive shot a handful of whitetails, countless wild hogs, coyotes and a female red deer.

I am at the point now where I want to tinker with it and see what improvements I can do; here's my current upgrade plan
    -bolt lift kit
    -bolt handle
    -fluted bolt body
    -wood stock
    -new optic
    -new 22" barrel

But I have a few questions regarding my choices. First and foremost would I gain a significant increase in muzzle velocity going to a 22" barrel over the factory 20", i read somewhere the average fps lost/gained per inch of barrel in a 6.5 creed is around 20fps? Second the fore end of the factory stock isnt flimsy per say but i can push the barrel into the stock, would an oem savage axis ii hardwood stock resolve this? and lastly is there anything I haven't considered that i should look into?

I was looking to get a different rifle and sell this one but this thing just shoots. Ive shot a handful of whitetails, countless wild hogs, coyotes and a female red deer.
    To me that is a lot of money to put into an AxisII has the following characteristics. "this thing just shoots."

As far as velocity. This might help.

https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-5...p-a-creedmoor/

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    To me that is a lot of money to put into an AxisII has the following characteristics. "this thing just shoots."

As far as velocity. This might help.

https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-5...p-a-creedmoor/
    That’s the article I was quoting when I mentioned the velocity numbers.

But yes the action and barrel are very accurate was looking more to upgrade the fit and finish of the rifle. I like to modify the things I own but I’m trying to see what upgrades would more so be worth it. Im considering not changing the barrel but changing the stock and the bolt lift kit at minimum

I'm considering not changing the barrel but changing the stock and the bolt lift kit at minimum
    Sounds like a plan. I did nothing to mine except wood stocks and SAV-1 Rifle Basix triggers.

I really like Boyd's Featherweight Thumbhole on my Axis rifles. Featherweight is a bit of an exaggeration but other than that they are pretty good.

Banned
    If your Axis is already very accurate, replacing a couple parts isn’t likely to improve it. 2” of barrel is not a big difference. Yes, the “normal” is about 20fps/inch. However, that doesn’t mean you are going to an additional 40fps more just because you increase barrel length 2”. If you are looking for velocity, go 26”. The Bolt Lift kit is a good idea, as is the Bolt Handle. A few of the parts you listed are simply for aesthetics. What’s pleasing to the eye. And there’s nothing wrong with that. I certainly build my firearms the way I want them to look!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    If your Axis is already very accurate, replacing a couple parts isn’t likely to improve it. 2” of barrel is not a big difference. Yes, the “normal” is about 20fps/inch. However, that doesn’t mean you are going to an additional 40fps more just because you increase barrel length 2”. If you are looking for velocity, go 26”. The Bolt Lift kit is a good idea, as is the Bolt Handle. A few of the parts you listed are simply for aesthetics. What’s pleasing to the eye. And there’s nothing wrong with that. I certainly build my firearms the way I want them to look!

This is mainly a hunting rig, so I think I will stay with the 20" barrel if the 22" isnt a significant difference. Will definitely get the lift kit and the handle. Thank you for the input

Basic Member
    While I like my Axis I won't invest any more money in it. The only real upgrade it got was a Boyd's stock, just because I wanted a heavier wood stock. It did get the .308 barrel from my 12BVSS (26" stainless, fluted) when I put a 6BR Shilen on the 12. So the action now has about 6000 rounds through it. 4500 of .223 and 1500 of .308.

If I decide on another rifle I'll get a 110, Mauser or Rem 700 style action.

Basic Member
    20, 40 or 100 fps at the muzzle is meaningless and more so at 100 or 300 yards. Concentrate on bullet construction in a hunting rifle and how it performs at those ranges.

So here it is all put together. Treatment it got, action bedded, bolt lift kit, bolt handle, bolt body, new vortex scope, and custom alumahyde ii paint with a topography line ghost camo

The before:https://imgur.com/qSnKICV

V
    And the after:https://imgur.com/ZJwdRjk

Banned
    Very NICE partner! Looks great. Here, I reloaded the pics so they appear full size in the thread. Is it ok? I’ll remove them if you rather. Just thought it would make easier for some to see.

Basic Member
    Nicely done.

Oh I very much appreciate that! thank you. It looks and feels like a more expensive rifle now with all the work done and Im under $850 for everything including rifle purchase. Im very happy with the turn out, now its just time to go shooting

With the rifle I built I have been able to shoot steel out to 500yards. I'm going to work my way out to a 1000 but my personal goal was to build a light-ish rifle capable of 1/4 mile (450yards) capabilities. I thought I would need a longer barrel but my average muzzle velocity is about 2700fps with barnes factory 6.5 creed lrx ammunition.

Basic Member
    Should be able to hit soda cans at 450. Have fun with it!

Basic Member
    If your rifle is already accurate, spend the money on better glass rather than tinkering with what already works.