Thread: Spotting scope

Basic Member

Spotting scope

What are you using? I am looking for a cheap spotter.

I have a Minox compact 15-30 I got from Camera Land years ago, nice little scope with amazing glass and was just over $200.00 back then.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

I have an Athlon Talos 20-60x80. Very inexpensive and suits my needs at the bench, which is its primary purpose. A little bulky for using in the field, but the style of deer hunting we did in Wyoming last year, it worked well.

Athlon Talos 20-60x80: This is a more affordable option that still offers good performance. It's a little bulkier than the Minox, but it's still a good choice for hunting.

Nikon Prostaff 3 16-48x60. Not horrible, but not great, either. Around $330. I only use it at the range (or on the deck bird & deer watching) so I have plenty of time to get it set and focused. My neighbor (with very deep pockets) elk hunts in CO annually and he has a Swarovski that is 10X brighter and 20X clearer. At 15X the price.

Where I hunt 8X binoculars are plenty.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

A larger objective lens will gather more light, which will give you a brighter image, especially in low light conditions. For a spotting scope, an objective lens size of 60mm or more is ideal.

Basic Member
    Vortex Diamondback 20-60x60. Pretty reasonable price. I can see 17 cal. holes at the 100 yd. mark. I wish I had waited a few months and bought the Vortex 2-60x85, a friend bought one and it's so better then mine. Look around and you can buy refurbished for a great price with the full warranty.

Basic Member
    I have an Athlon ARES G2 UHD 15-45x65 I bought last year from Doug at CameralandNY. He was running a sale and after reading the reviews it would fit my needs. It was 571.99 I just use it for the range. It is nice and clear and I have three pairs of Swarovski binoculars and one of their scopes on my 7 Mag.

Team Savage
    Buy someplace where you can return. Eye relief is critical on a spotting scope. Some are so short you almost dirty the lens because you have to be so close. I have a couple of higher end chinese scopes and their glass has improved, but usually you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    Buy someplace where you can return. Eye relief is critical on a spotting scope. Some are so short you almost dirty the lens because you have to be so close. I have a couple of higher end chinese scopes and their glass has improved, but usually you get what you pay for.
    I bought a cheep spotting scope from Amazon and it came with a cell phone holder that clamps to the scope. Takes a little bit of adjusting.
    I used an old cell just for the camera feature and it worked pretty good. You can zoom in etc… no eye relief issue. They are available several places, Amazon is just one of them.

Mike

Basic Member
    I am certain this one isn't an optical work of art suitable for viewing Uranus but its a black Friday deal that might fit your needs

https://cameralandny.com/shop/konus-...iation=2773966

Wouldn't you have to be double jointed to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by atmtc View Post
    Wouldn't you have to be double jointed to do that?
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!