Thread: Model 99 was wondering about history?

Jaybird73

Model 99 was wondering about history?

I have a Model 99 that was my Grandfathers gun, my fathers gun, now my gun and eventually would like to give it to one of my sons. This is not a collector and will probably never leave my family. I shot my first deer with it as did my dad and would like both of my boys to do the same. It is in .300 savage with a serial #280224. Just would like to know a little more about the gun. Thanks in advance Jason

99trix

Re: Model 99 was wondering about history?

It would make it early 1926 DOM. For more information either post a picture or a detailed description. Barrel length, pistol grip / straight grip, take down or solid frame, checkering or no checkering etc. There were a few models being produced at that time and it could be any one of them.

Jaybird73

Straight girp with no checkering, but my Grandpa either did it himself or had someone put his initials painted on the stock. Still has the peepsight on the gun if that helps. I really think that he was the first owner of this gun.

99trix

So now we need the barrel length. There are 7 straight grip models offered that year, 3 were take downs and 4 were solid frames. Picture is best.

Jaybird73

Looks like a little over 23 inches and as far as I know it is a solid frame. Will try to get some pics.

Jaybird73

[img width=600 height=450]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d20/jdickins/100_1482.jpg[/img]

Here is a try will see if it worked

99trix

Savage barrel lengths are measured including the threads. Picture looks like it is a 99E with the light weight barrel, a rather uncommon model. The collector value may have been killed with the drilling and tapping and the shortening of the butt stock and addition of the recoil pad, but the family history has made it priceless! Enjoy it, hunt it and pass it along to family!

Jaybird73

Thank you very much for the reply. Not sure if 100,000 dollars could seperate me from this rifle. As you can see with this picture my Grandpa put or had his initials put on the gun, when I take this gun in the field I really feel like he is there with me. His Name was Eben G. Dickinson (EGD)

[img width=600 height=450]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d20/jdickins/100_1484.jpg[/img]

Eric in NC

Great rifle, great family piece. I might look for a replacement stock so I didn't wear off Grandpa's initials when I used it to hunt, but other than that, keep it in the family, take care of it, and use it like Grandpa meant it to be used.

Jaybird73

Not sure what he used on the initials, but it still looks good. If I was going to look for a new stock where would I start?

Belt Fed

Hey Jaybird, I think you may be able to get a semi finished stock from Brownell's their phone no. is 800-741-0015.