Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Currently Shooting a Savage Model 12 LRPV ?

Basic Member

Anyone Currently Shooting a Savage Model 12 LRPV ?

May have an opportunity to begin shooting some mid-range ( up to 500 yards ) target ranges. Most of the posts I`ve seen concerning this model have been fairly old and I`m hoping for some more current input, whether positive or negative. Thanks very much in advance for any feedback.

Banned
    What are you looking for as far as info? Do you have one of these already, interested in getting one? What caliper & cartridge are you looking at?

As far as being a target rifle, that is the purpose of the 12LRPV. It uses the single shot, 3-screw port Action. Large Shank. The current version is Right Hand Bolt, Left side Eject, although older LRPV’s can be found Used, that are Right Hand Bolt & Right Eject. And of course single shot. So you’ll need to decide if those two qualities work for you. It has the Target Accutrigger which is a plus… unless you are one who likes to customize & change things, which makes it a waste.

This platform is capable of the highest precision Savage offers in the 110-line of rifles. For an out of the box rig, ready to go & for someone who doesn’t want to change things, it’s a great rifle. Can be found for around $1400 new, which is decent for what they offer. Can find the older version USED for around $1000, which is a fantastic deal. (And the way I would go.) the only thing I don’t like is the single shot. I’m a magazine guy… always have been. And I like Aluminum Chassis. Oh, and I like building my own rifles with all the parts I want… So, these are a NO for me. But could be exactly what others are looking for.

Basic Member
    I have one in .204. Great shooter. Pretty dang accurate. Plenty heavy so you see your impacts. One I will keep for a very long time.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    What are you looking for as far as info? Do you have one of these already, interested in getting one? What caliper & cartridge are you looking at?

As far as being a target rifle, that is the purpose of the 12LRPV. It uses the single shot, 3-screw port Action. Large Shank. The current version is Right Hand Bolt, Left side Eject, although older LRPV’s can be found Used, that are Right Hand Bolt & Right Eject. And of course single shot. So you’ll need to decide if those two qualities work for you. It has the Target Accutrigger which is a plus… unless you are one who likes to customize & change things, which makes it a waste.

This platform is capable of the highest precision Savage offers in the 110-line of rifles. For an out of the box rig, ready to go & for someone who doesn’t want to change things, it’s a great rifle. Can be found for around $1400 new, which is decent for what they offer. Can find the older version USED for around $1000, which is a fantastic deal. (And the way I would go.) the only thing I don’t like is the single shot. I’m a magazine guy… always have been. And I like Aluminum Chassis. Oh, and I like building my own rifles with all the parts I want… So, these are a NO for me. But could be exactly what others are looking for.
    Thanks Dave. I don`t have one and am just evaluating and was looking for input from current users as to any issues (reliability ), quirks that would be good to know, real world experience with accuracy and precision out beyond, say, 300 yards, etc. I`m not really a tinkerer when it comes to guns, so a good set up affording an opportunity for accuracy at the stated ranges out of the box would be important. Most interest is in .223, preferably 1:7 twist. I have experience with a 110 action and have been very pleased with my 110 Storm. Until potentially in the near future ( if I`m accepted into a local rod and gun club ), the only range to which I have access is 100 yards max. LOL, that`s been my excuse for not getting a more dedicated target gun! So far everything I`ve seen about the 12 LRPV has been very positive. Guess I need to go over to Sniper`s Hide where they hate all things Savage to get the flip side ( just kidding !! I pay little mind to what they say. ) ! If I don`t get into the club this is moot anyway.

Banned
    Don’t let a club be the bearing for anything you do. I’m not part of any competition. Am just a member at a normal Gun Club, and while I could take part in their comps.. I don’t. I shoot because I enjoy it. But for me it’s the entire hobby. Besides shooting(which isn’t as much as in years past), I love building & working on firearms. I love reloading, working up loads. And I love just talking about guns with others who enjoy the hobby as I do. But I purchase the rifles I want(rather, I build those I want…but, same general outcome.) Also, you could do the same thing with your 110 Storm.

But I’m sure you would be happy with the 12LRPV.

Basic Member
    Don’t let a club be the bearing for anything you do. I’m not part of any competition. Am just a member at a normal Gun Club, and while I could take part in their comps.. I don’t. I shoot because I enjoy it. But for me it’s the entire hobby. Besides shooting(which isn’t as much as in years past), I love building & working on firearms. I love reloading, working up loads. And I love just talking about guns with others who enjoy the hobby as I do. But I purchase the rifles I want(rather, I build those I want…but, same general outcome.) Also, you could do the same thing with your 110 Storm.

But I’m sure you would be happy with the 12LRPV.
    Well, the problem is that ONLY the club has ranges over 100 yards within reasonable distance. I`m not interested in competition either, except internal competition in trying to get better. We shall see. Thanks much!

I got a great deal on the 12 LRPV action and built a 223 for 300 yard Benchrest matches. So far it shoots great. Most guys are shooting custom rifles but I like Savage because I am a bit of a shade tree gunsmith and like doing things myself. This one has the stock Target Accutrigger with a little work I did on it, shoots real good at about 5oz pull weight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sav 3.jpg  

Basic Member
    I did quite a bit of 600yd shooting with my .223 Axis (heavy barrel version). Less than MOA most days if I could manage the windage. 77gn SMK's with a 1:9 twist barrel at 2850fps. I did not compete. My targets of choice were soda cans. Since they were 1/2MOA wide it was a challenge.

But, I went to a 6BR when I upgraded my 12BVSS. Not much more recoil and more vel with heavier bullets. It has been a much better combination at 600yd for me.

7 twist

80 grains of sierra matchking, CCI BR4 mixed with 23.8 grains of R15 will do surprisingly well out to 600 with low wind.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I have one in .223 with 1/9" twist. Shoots 69 and 77 grain sierra mk bullets very well. Also likes the hornady 73 gr ELD-M. The rifle is certainly capable of sub half moa groups at 100 and 200 yards.
    GOA

Not within your parameters, however a 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor will blow your mind at those ranges as far as accuracy goes. Lots of cartridges will for a re loader, but off the shelf ammo works well in those two, and it is available.

Basic Member
    Dave, or anybody else, can you briefly compare the LRPV with the F/TR, both in .223? Range shooting out to 500 yards from bench, bags fore and aft. Not sure about a scope yet. If you were buying one of the two? Thanks in advance. I respect the experience and knowledge of Savage rifles that you guys have here!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkeytider View Post
    Dave, or anybody else, can you briefly compare the LRPV with the F/TR, both in .223? Range shooting out to 500 yards from bench, bags fore and aft. Not sure about a scope yet. If you were buying one of the two? Thanks in advance. I respect the experience and knowledge of Savage rifles that you guys have here!
    They are both Target, Single Shot Actions with Bull 1:7 Twist Barrels, so they will perform very close. Even price is pretty close. Can’t point to one being “better” than the other. The results will ultimately rest on the loads & shooter. I’d say go with which you like more. Do you want the Left or Right side ejection port? Would you prefer a 26” or 30” barrel? And do you like the Black Synthetic or or Grey Laminate stock more? Your choice will be the Right one!

Basic Member
    They are both Target, Single Shot Actions with Bull 1:7 Twist Barrels, so they will perform very close. Even price is pretty close. Can’t point to one being “better” than the other. The results will ultimately rest on the loads & shooter. I’d say go with which you like more. Do you want the Left or Right side ejection port? Would you prefer a 26” or 30” barrel? And do you like the Black Synthetic or or Grey Laminate stock more? Your choice will be the Right one!
    Thank you sir.

Comfort and stability is big when doing that type of shooting. I really like the ergo of the LRPV with its left eject but compared to the F/TR I think it looses something. I have put adjustable cheek pieces on both. I think the LRPV is not as well balanced either. That is a subjective thing however.

Basic Member
    Well, went ahead and got the LRPV. I`m here to tell you this thing is a beast! Heaviest 11 or so pounds I`ve experienced, but then everything seems heavier at 75! The stainless barrel is obviously where most of the weight is, making it barrel heavy, of course. The HS Precision stock is very nice. Looking forward to getting it to the range. I don`t expect it to move much at all once it`s on the bags!

Banned
    Excellent. Enjoy it.

Basic Member
    I believe that this gun and scope ( Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16X44 ) is going to be everything I hoped it would be. Easy zero today with Federal Gold Medal 77grain SMK bullets. Several 3 round groups averaged 0.6 MOA , which I know is not exceptional for most but with which I`m happy. Pretty sure the rig is better than the guy shooting it! None were over 0.73 and the smallest was 0.3. Just makes me wonder how it would do with some time spent developing hand loads for it. To boot, I do believe that the bolt lift is actually getting a bit easier! Lots of fun, looking forward to getting a start at 200 and 300 yards fairly soon.

Banned
    I agree.. I’m quite happy with .6” group shooting. Yes, bolt lift will get easier & the Action smoother as you use it. Very normal.

Basic Member
    Congratulations!!! Especially with factory ammo. Will make it hard to not use the expensive stuff :) Which is why I ended up handloading for the .223

Yep, about the best I can manage, on average, is 0.5MOA. Every now and then, the stars will align, I'll actually do everything right, and a 0.3MOA group will appear :) It does help if the gun is capable and I've paid attention to the handloads. I have had a couple 0.1 or 0.2 groups over the years, but, those are just luck.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Congratulations!!! Especially with factory ammo. Will make it hard to not use the expensive stuff :) Which is why I ended up handloading for the .223

Yep, about the best I can manage, on average, is 0.5MOA. Every now and then, the stars will align, I'll actually do everything right, and a 0.3MOA group will appear :) It does help if the gun is capable and I've paid attention to the handloads. I have had a couple 0.1 or 0.2 groups over the years, but, those are just luck.
    Thanks Charlie. Definitely think I`ve got the hardware to work my way out to 500 yards. The limiting factor will be the shooter.

I have a savage model 12 and it’s the Beas and most accurate rifle I have ever owned. Stock action and criterion barrel. Just last week I shot a grout 1.5 inch width and 1” elevation at 500 meters. 1500 rounds on the barrel, just checking if it still had enough accuracy left in it. I decided it would make it to the end of the benchrest season.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pjohn View Post
    I have a savage model 12 and it’s the Beas and most accurate rifle I have ever owned. Stock action and criterion barrel. Just last week I shot a grout 1.5 inch width and 1” elevation at 500 meters. 1500 rounds on the barrel, just checking if it still had enough accuracy left in it. I decided it would make it to the end of the benchrest season.
    So 1500 rounds is enough to question precision? I hope I get considerably more than that out of my Model 12 in .223. Then again, I`m not competing, just trying to bang steel .

Basic Member
    Don't worry about barrel life with the .223. My Axis barrel was still capable of 0.5MOA after 4500 rounds. It is in a box waiting to see if I will every use it again.

I would brag about the .308 but most of the bullets through it have been cast (getting close to 6000). :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkeytider View Post
    Thanks Charlie. Definitely think I`ve got the hardware to work my way out to 500 yards. The limiting factor will be the shooter.
    Range report: Started the journey out to 500 yards today by shooting some steel targets at 200 and 300. I didn`t measure groups or anything but the LRPV banged them with no problem. All I did was point it and then got out of the way! Frontier(Hornady) 68 grain OTM rounds. It was fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast