Thread: Looking for advice for new rifle

Basic Member

Looking for advice for new rifle

.223 caliber
    Savage 12 BVSS (19139)
    Savage 12 LRPV (18144)
    Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile (18465)
    Savage Axis II Precision (57549)

I've decided to purchase a new rifle and currently looking at these 3 listed above. It will be used for prairie dogs and some coyote hunting. I don't save coyote pelts so I'm not concerned about bullet friendly for pelts. I haven't had a Savage rifle in over 30 years and not familiar with the different models.

I know the LRPV is a left port, single shot and fine with that. I know the Axis I have listed is in a chassis stock which is okay. I have one rifle that is also in a chassis stock so I'm familiar with the stocks.

I currently shoot 2 Remington 700's both in 20 Vartarg and they are excellent out to around 400 yards. I don't plan on shooting any further than that so the .223 round should work well. Also, I have many thousands of rounds of .223 brass on hand along with dies and powder, so I don't want to go to a different caliber and start over with dies, powder, etc...

Any advice on the rifles listed above would be appreciated.

Prairie dogs and coyotes...I would go with the 12 VLP. 18464

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Prairie dogs and coyotes...I would go with the 12 VLP. 18464
    Thanks. I do like this one, but so far haven't found one offered in .223. I probably would have already purchased that one if I would have come across it.

Banned
    Of those, the LRPV is the setup for highest level of Target rifle. But I’ll say go with the one that fits your needs best. Are you target shooting or Varmint hunting? Little of both? Which one MORE? Would you prefer magazine or is Single Shot ok? Ask yourself those questions & choose which fits your criteria best.

Basic Member
    You might want to check the specs. I know the BVSS and Axis are small shank barrels. The BVSS has a varmint trigger, not a target trigger.

What’s wrong with the10 predator ?

Mine is a real lazer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    Jim, my observations on the rifles above which I have either owned or shot a pretty good bit.

BVSS - great rifle, good accuracy. The stock palm swell is pretty thick, works well for stationary shooting, but not for moving around with at all. I really enjoyed that rifle and with handloading it shot extremely well. Good choice on the .223, especially if you have the brass, etc., to reload. Supply is better now, but still an expensive time to start in on a new round.

LRPV - great rifle, good accuracy. Heavy, and liked the HS precision stock on mine. I would have to look at the prices, but I think the LRPV costs more, but....I am not sure it gives much more in accuracy over the BVSS when you are handloading. Heavier barrel contour also, but there is some of the weight.

Low Profile - same action, barrel, etc., as the BVSS just with a trimmed down laminate stock; including in the palm swell area, forearm area so more portable. I have not owned one but have shot and handled. Solid rifle.

Savage Axis - no experience so will leave that one alone.

JBV