Thread: what model should I be looking for in my next project?

what model should I be looking for in my next project?

Hello folks! I could really use some suggestions and I apologize if this has been asked before. I want another project rifle but am a little confused as far as all the different options available to me. I would like to purchase a rifle (used is ok iF it will save me money) that I can change the barrel on (likely a Shaw barrel in 6.5 creedmore). Unless

the rifle comes with a decent stock, I would most likely install a boyd's laminate. Hopefully the rifle I get will have an accutrigger, if not a Rifle Basic trigger would be needed.
    I don't know what model savage rifle would be my best option to start with. I've already done what I want to do now twice before but I didn't have a choice on those two as far as the action/rifle to begin with as both were given to me. One was an older 110 without accutrigger and the other was a new mdl 12 in .223 that I re-chambered to .222rem.
    I'll be doing this on a budget so anywhere I can save money I would like to ex: new vs used parts etc. I would likely want a new barrel just because I'm familiar with the Shaw barrels and I want it to be very accurate (especially with my handloads).
    Thanks very much for any suggestions anyone might have.
    Joe

I would look for a long action w/ a top bolt release. With the long action you are not limited to a short action's mag limit.IF your plans are for using heavy bullets / long range shooting.
    FYI ,There is a long action FS in the classifieds

I would look for a long action w/ a top bolt release.
    Did this years ago. Savage 111 Long Action, blind magazine, stagger feed. Replaced trigger with SAV-1 Rifle Basix, pillar bedded walnut stock. It remains one of the overall best Savage rifles I have ever had. Have never had feeding issues, extraction and ejection have never been a problem. Personally, rather than a Shaw, I would spend a bit more and go with a Criterion.

Banned
    Long or Short Action if you’re looking to do a 6.5CM. I agree, top bolt release (TBR). Newer Centerfeed round back w/Accutrigger would be better, but a Staggerfeed, flat back, 3-screw will still perform. And sure, you can always go Rifle Basix. You are in the position, wanting to budget that you can be flexible and have a good platform either way you go.

I have a LA that to keep this short was sent to SSS for some rehab work , while it was there I had him build me a 2nd bolt for 223. To keep this swap barrel learning project semi low cost I picked up a used SS Savage OME 223 Bbl. with the 1-9 twist. Shoots sub MOA with 77 SMK's. I don't think Savage ever offered a 223 1-8 or 1-7 T barrels

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate all the suggestions.