Thread: New Savage ordered

New Savage ordered (update)

Yesterday I ordered a 110 Hunter in .300 Winchester Magnum (or 7mm Rem Mag if the .300 isn't in stock). This will be my first new Savage in many years, I'm pretty excited! I have messed with Savage/Stevens bolt action rifles a lot over the years but had sold or traded them all off. Recently I picked up a lightly used Stevens 200 action with the .223 bolt head to turn into a .277 Wolverine for the kids to deer hunt with. I still have few barrels and extra parts laying around and wanted a long action also so I could jump back in with both feet. Hopefully this doesn't get too expensive
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Well, you only have two feet.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    Yesterday I ordered a 110 Hunter in .300 Winchester Magnum (or 7mm Rem Mag if the .300 isn't in stock). This will be my first new Savage in many years, I'm pretty excited! I have messed with Savage/Stevens bolt action rifles a lot over the years but had sold or traded them all off. Recently I picked up a lightly used Stevens 200 action with the .223 bolt head to turn into a .277 Wolverine for the kids to deer hunt with. I still have few barrels and extra parts laying around and wanted a long action also so I could jump back in with both feet. Hopefully this doesn't get too expensive
    Sounds like fun.

Basic Member
    Very nice
    Failure is not an option

Banned
    Very nice. I’m wondering, how did you order a 300WM OR 7mm RM? You don’t know yet which? You’ll have to know when it ships obviously.

Sounds like you are excited about Savage for what they are. Very cool. Hope to see some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Very nice. I’m wondering, how did you order a 300WM OR 7mm RM? You don’t know yet which? You’ll have to know when it ships obviously.

Sounds like you are excited about Savage for what they are. Very cool. Hope to see some pictures.
    I work part time at a little gunsmith shop and just asked the boss to order which ever one was in stock, he hadn't ordered it before I left yesterday so it will be Tuesday before I talk to him again. It doesn't really matter to me which cartridge I end up with, for my purposes either will be fine. I have been a Savage fan for years and I pretty well like them all. I have also been a fan of interchangeable barrel guns for many years that's part of the allure too.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Banned
    Good deal! I hear ya. I’ve been a Savage 110 fan since my first Model 111 in 30-06 when I was 18. It’s been my bolt gun of choice since, owning several LA’s/SA’s since that first.

Well, I ended up going with the 7mm Remington Magnum. I hadn't been to the shop since the gun came in but I finally got my hands on it Saturday. I pulled it out of the box and gave it a once over, all was well until I pulled the bolt out of the bag and started to put it in the receiver, that's when I noticed this,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bolt Face.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	9585

This was supposed to be a brand new rifle but it sure doesn't look like it, the last four numbers of the serial number are etched on the lug so I know it belongs to my rifle. Not only is it filthy but looks like at least one primer has ruptured and left the telltale flame cutting around the firing pin. WHAT GIVES SAVAGE ?

Pretty disappointed

Basic Member
    Yep, Savage does not seem to clean the guns after test firing. Only good thing is you know they did test fire it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    Well, I ended up going with the 7mm Remington Magnum. I hadn't been to the shop since the gun came in but I finally got my hands on it Saturday. I pulled it out of the box and gave it a once over, all was well until I pulled the bolt out of the bag and started to put it in the receiver, that's when I noticed this,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bolt Face.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	9585

This was supposed to be a brand new rifle but it sure doesn't look like it, the last four numbers of the serial number are etched on the lug so I know it belongs to my rifle. Not only is it filthy but looks like at least one primer has ruptured and left the telltale flame cutting around the firing pin. WHAT GIVES SAVAGE ?

Pretty disappointed
    WOW! I'd call them and send the that picture.

Banned
    Yeah it’s dirty from Savage test firing. Eh.. Tell ya my thoughts…, I’d shoot it before making any decisions on complaining to Savage, sending it back, etc. Before ya know it, you’ll convince yourself to get a BoreScope, look down the barrel and deem it trashed! All before a single shot ever goes through; let alone doing some break in shooting & actual accuracy testing. Meanwhile, for all anyone knows, this could very well be an “<.5” MOA” Rig sitting as is!

Trust me…. Many here know exactly how this story goes, and could write the screenplay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yeah it’s dirty from Savage test firing. Eh.. Tell ya my thoughts…, I’d shoot it before making any decisions on complaining to Savage, sending it back, etc. Before ya know it, you’ll convince yourself to get a BoreScope, look down the barrel and deem it trashed! All before a single shot ever goes through; let alone doing some break in shooting & actual accuracy testing. Meanwhile, for all anyone knows, this could very well be an “<.5” MOA” Rig sitting as is!

Trust me…. Many here know exactly how this story goes, and could write the screenplay for it.
    I do plan to shoot it, I'm just waiting on a scope base for it, other than the above I have no complaints. This is my first new Savage in quite a while and so far I'm liking the stock a lot, the trigger feels pretty good as is. I'm not sure how I feel about the bottom bolt release yet, it feels pretty awkward to me so far but we'll see how it goes. I already have a bore scope and have had for a long time, about the only thing that concerns me to see in a bore is severe pitting, but I consider barrels to be a consumable. I have no fear that the barrel won't shoot once I find the combination it likes.

Basic Member
    Severe pitting? That would bother me. Tool marks are common, although if really bad I'd be concerned there as well. Especially if they are worse on one side or show other signs of the bore/rifling/chamber not being concentric.

Basic Member
    Bob, my " new " Model 12 LRVP came out of the box obviously fired. REAL dirty barrel and a bolt face to match. I knew to expect it so it didn`t bother me. Cleaned and lightly lubed the barrel, bolt and receiver and headed to the range. Sub-MOA groups. I would expect that there`s few, if any, new Savage owners who haven`t experienced the same thing. Enjoy your new rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeytider View Post
    Bob, my " new " Model 12 LRVP came out of the box obviously fired. REAL dirty barrel and a bolt face to match. I knew to expect it so it didn`t bother me. Cleaned and lightly lubed the barrel, bolt and receiver and headed to the range. Sub-MOA groups. I would expect that there`s few, if any, new Savage owners who haven`t experienced the same thing. Enjoy your new rifle!
    My barrel is pretty dirty too, hopefully I'll get it up and running soon, I'm anxious to try it out.

Basic Member
    I do have to say that almost every firearm I've purchased new over the past few years (Savage, Remington and others) have been very dirty right out of the box. Some more than others.....My 110 Tactical was probably the cleanest new rifle I've ever bought.

congrats!! i just ordered a new 110 Lightweight in 7mm08...should have it in a couple wks

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky708 View Post
    congrats!! i just ordered a new 110 Lightweight in 7mm08...should have it in a couple wks
    Congrats and welcome to the forum!

Well, I finally made it to the range. Other than the fact that I plan to shoot this rifle off a bipod and forgot to take said bipod to the range every thing went pretty well. I did a basic bore cleaning and mounted a scope but otherwise didn't touch the rifle, shot it exactly as it came from Savage.

With factory Remington 150 grain ammo I was getting decent accuracy, I had about 1.5" of vertical but attribute that to the front rest I was using, it's a great rest (SEB Mini-X) but doesn't play well with a sporter style forend. I only had about 1/2" horizontal spread so I'm quite sure this one will shoot very well just like it sits. Before the next range trip I'll adjust the trigger and probably torque the action screws. The only complaint I have is with the bolt release, it's very difficult to get the bolt out. This is the first bottom bolt release rifle I've owned but as of now I much prefer the top release. I think I can probably remedy this bolt release issue but I haven't had it apart yet.

Overall the rifle is a win!

Basic Member
    Takes a bit of hand gymnastics but manageable. I use my right hand third finger to depress the trigger and the index finger to push the bolt release. I reach over with my left hand and slide the bolt out. Same process to put the bolt back in.