Thread: Kinda bummed (6mm)

Basic Member

Kinda bummed (6mm)

So I want a Savage in 6 Creedmoor with medium weight barrel. However, they only offer one model in
    6 Creedmoor that is not a chassis model but it is a long heavy barrel.
    So looks like I have to buy a 6.5, 308 or other caliber and then rebarrel.
    Hopefully I can sell the barrel it comes with to help pay for the new barrel.
    Failure is not an option

Banned
    Right here.. https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...ert+6mm+crm+26

Or do you mean you want a standard Sporter barrel? This “heavy” barrel is actually the Middleweight. Because the next size is Varmint then Bull. Savage only has 2 sizes of Sporter barrels. Standard Sporter & Heavy, or “Magnum” Sporter.

If you want a lighter hunting rifle, just grab a 243.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Right here.. https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...ert+6mm+crm+26

Or do you mean you want a standard Sporter barrel? This “heavy” barrel is actually the Middleweight. Because the next size is Varmint then Bull. Savage only has 2 sizes of Sporter barrels. Standard Sporter & Heavy, or “Magnum” Sporter.

If you want a lighter hunting rifle, just grab a 243.
    I just bought a new 110 Hunter in .223
    I was thinking the barrel would be more sporter size but it is more pencil barrel size at only .585 at the muzzle.
    I would like the muzzle of the 6 Creedmoore to be about .650 to .700
    I wish Savage would include the muzzle diameter in the descriptions.
    Failure is not an option

Banned
    That is the normal “Sporter” barrel size. The Heavy Barrel in 6mm Creedmoor has a threaded muzzle. It’s 5/8x24, so that’s like .625”. I believe it’s between .700”-.750” at the shoulder.

BTW.. you do realize the only model it’s available in is 110 Desert Tactical? Which isn’t exactly set up best as a hunting rifle? To be honest, you may be better off either just looking for the least expensive used Savage SA you can find, or Action and building one in 6Creedmoor yourself. Great thing about this is you can pay as you go. Just buy a part at a time.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    That is the normal “Sporter” barrel size. The Heavy Barrel in 6mm Creedmoor has a threaded muzzle. It’s 5/8x24, so that’s like .625”. I believe it’s between .700”-.750” at the shoulder.

BTW.. you do realize the only model it’s available in is 110 Desert Tactical? Which isn’t exactly set up best as a hunting rifle? To be honest, you may be better off either just looking for the least expensive used Savage SA you can find, or Action and building one in 6Creedmoor yourself. Great thing about this is you can pay as you go. Just buy a part at a time.
    Thanks,
    I'm actually thinking about ordering a 110 Predator .223 and rebarreling the 110 Hunter .223 I just bought into 6 Creed.
    Failure is not an option

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hylander View Post
    Thanks,
    I'm actually thinking about ordering a 110 Predator .223 and rebarreling the 110 Hunter .223 I just bought into 6 Creed.
    Going that route is going to require more than just rebarreling.

Quote Originally Posted by Hylander View Post
    So I want a Savage in 6 Creedmoor with medium weight barrel. However, they only offer one model in
    6 Creedmoor that is not a chassis model but it is a long heavy barrel.
    So looks like I have to buy a 6.5, 308 or other caliber and then rebarrel.
    Hopefully I can sell the barrel it comes with to help pay for the new barrel.
    It would help get you more specific answers if you would state what your intended use is for a "medium weight barrel" ?? If it's for hunting, it would help if you put your location in your profile. If for hunting deer there is a big difference in South Texas deer and North & North Western states deer/
    Do you reload ? if not, back to your use ??
    Have you looked at the Axis ll series of rifles ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter0302 View Post
    It would help get you more specific answers if you would state what your intended use is for a "medium weight barrel" ?? If it's for hunting, it would help if you put your location in your profile. If for hunting deer there is a big difference in South Texas deer and North & North Western states deer/
    Do you reload ? if not, back to your use ??
    Have you looked at the Axis ll series of rifles ?
    Bench shooting to about 500yd.
    Coyote and Pig hunting In Northern California and Nevada. No deer hunting, don't like deer meat.
    Reload for everything I own. Already have brass, bullets and powder.
    I don't really care for the Axis.
    I know I will also need a bolt head and magazine.
    Failure is not an option

Basic Member
    That's the problem with 'non-standard' cartridges. You can't get them in the rifle you want. Which is why I like the barrel nut system. Easy enough to find the barrel you want and just screw it on the rifle. Keep two (or three) bolt heads around and you can cover most bases. Magazines might be harder, but, I single load everything anyway :)

FWIW if you are going to shoot from the bench a lot I'd get at least a varmint weight barrel. The light hunting barrels are good for a couple shots but then have to cool back down (most of the time). Carrying an extra pound or two in the field won't matter that much in the long run.