Thread: A17 .17 hmr issues.

A17 .17 hmr issues.

I was surprised I couldn’t find many posts about this rifle. Bought it from a friend who had never fired it. Mounted a scope and hit the range. Used the CCI .17 ammo that was supposedly designed for this rifle. It would not cycle a new round in after firing. Never could get it to fire more than one round & jammed sometimes when it attempted to cycle a round. Magazine also fell out, was really hard to load. I tried Hornady Vmax .17 grain 17 and it would not cycle either.
    I called Savage folks and a very nice lady told me I needed to use ONLY Hornady Vmax 20 grain .17 XTP. She could not explain why I could not use the CCI special A17 ammo. I hunted the internet and found the Hornady 20 grain. Tried firing it and the same results. I called the lady back and she said to have my dealer send it to Savage repairs. They had it a month or so and sent it back to me. Went to the range and it continued to not cycle any ammo I tried. Jammed trying to use it as a single shot and never got it to fire more than one round using CCI A17, Hornady VMax .17 and 20 grain. Called Savage and was scolded for trying anything other than 20 grain .17 XTP. Was told to return it to the factory and I did 2 weeks ago.
    I have zero confidence Savage can fix this rifle and I am not happy that I can only use one bullet-the 20 grain XTP. They would not talk to me about options such as giving me a different rifle, etc. “Send it in and we will fix it”.
    so, am I the only guy with a junk rifle? What should I do? Jim

Basic Member
    Jim, Did you search this forum to find out about cycling issues with the A17? I don't have one but I had an A22 and it cycled OK, tho I disliked the whole cycle/reset process of the action. You don't have many choices for ammo, but trying others may be an option if S doesn't fix it this time. Personally I would have visited a local 'smith or someone nearby you may know to look at the rifle. Since S didn't fix it b4, I would not have given them another chance. Y'know, "fool me once . . . "
    Here is the result of searching (from the upper right corner of each page) - I don't know why it's resulting in a 'Google' answer. "Never used to" but I just upgraded Microsoft y-day.
    http s://www.google.com/search?sitesearch=savageshooters.com&q=a17+cycling &submit.x=0&submit.y=0&domains=savageshooters.c om

Basic Member
    My buddy bought one. Absolute horrible trigger. I love all my Savage rifles and I considered buying one of the A17 until I tried his. I thought the safety was on , the trigger pull was so hard. I had to check to see if the safety was on and it wasn't. Finally it fired. He sent that trigger back into Savage and they sent him a new trigger and it turned out to be worse than the original. Savage has a problem that apparently they can't fix. He knows about the Jard Trigger but that trigger is $250.00 . We have read all the threads about honing the sears and such but Savage advertises that trigger can be tuned down and so far the advertising is not true. Common Savage you can do better then that !

Basic Member
    OK. its been a few months. Has anyone come up with a solution besides spending $250 for the Jard. My buddies triggers are still crap. Savage has not responded except to send another trigger assembly that was worse than the original. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Basic Member
    A friend on here went thru this with his A22. He and I traded 'tips' for a bit and I gave him my 'best advice' - SELL IT. That's what I did with mine. He chose to keep his, got a Jard and is OK with it, but does regret a bit for spending that $$. See his thread in this forum from last month " A22 & Jard". The actions are quite similar and altho some folks have had luck 'modifying' the action it's really 'hit-or-miss' whether it will help much. I sold mine 'Out of town' so the buyer didn't know where I live - HA. They're OK for plinkers, which is what my buyer wanted, just something for cans and such.

Basic Member
    Latest info . Thanks for the reply. My buddy because he had two triggers for the A17 he tore into one and played with it . Not knowing the specifics because I did not see exactly what he did, but he was able to get the trigger down to 2.5 lbs. Fantastic for what it was . He did a function test at the range yesterday and it worked flawlessly. Minute of Pdog at 100 yards.

Basic Member
    Jimmt - I just thought to mention both the Gunshack 'Varmint' trigger-spring option. I don't know if you've considered that. It worked for me on an A22. See below for another idea.
    Agualpo - That's great news. If your friend has time he could prob make some bucks doin' that for others. On the A22 I put in a Gunshack trigger spring ($7) and got the A22 down to 2# (per Wheeler digital). On my B22 I found a hack on YT, heating the T-spring just orange-hot and letting it cool slowly. Takes much of the temper off and I got ca 1# pull on the B. * Maybe your buddy could try that on his and get even lower ?