Thread: Proper Bolt Cycling ?

Basic Member

Proper Bolt Cycling ?

When I first started shooting my 110, sometimes the bolt would slide over the top of the round in the mag thereby failing to feed. I have blamed that on the magazines not functioning properly. Now I`m not so sure. I have not experienced this in quite a while now. I`ve developed the habit of making sure that the bolt travels completely to the top of its throw qnd then remaining there when sliding forward to engage the next round. Could this have been the solution? Could it be better " broken in " magazines? Both? Anyone else have experience with this? Thanks.

Banned
    I’ve always found that issue to be magazine related in the past. Is this a factory mag? It certainly could have been something that “just happened” a couple times when new. The spring/follower being sticky, what not. It’s not something I would worry about unless it’s happening again regularly.

Basic Member
    Could be a few things from the follower having some flash on it, not allowing it to travel up freely or the lips needed some tuning. I know especially on my PRS guns I have to tune the mags because I run the bolt so fast. Most of the time when I get a new mag I will disassemble it and make sure there is no flash on the follower and smooth the sides of it. Then I will tune the feed lips and make sure they don't have any burrs or sharp edges on the bottom side that will hang the round from moving freely. Then open or close the feed lips to get the round setting correctly for the bolt to grab the round but no to much where it will pop out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I’ve always found that issue to be magazine related in the past. Is this a factory mag? It certainly could have been something that “just happened” a couple times when new. The spring/follower being sticky, what not. It’s not something I would worry about unless it’s happening again regularly.
    Yes, it was with factory mags ( plural ). That`s what makes me wonder if it wasn`t something I was doing, or not doing as the case may be. Anyway, as I say, doesn`t seem to be an issue now for whatever reason. At the range I use a single round sled anyway. Other than that I`ve had absolutely no functional issues with the 110 (.223) through several hundred rounds. It`s been a great first rifle for me.

Banned
    Yeah, if it did a few times in the first few hundred rounds or the like, and has not happened since, I would bet more than not, it was simply a “New Rifle Quirk”. If it happens again let us know, other ways I’d say put it from your mind.