Thread: A Surprise from Savage

A Surprise from Savage

A friend of mine recently bought a used Savage at a LGS. Model 10 in a MDT chassis chambered 6.5 Creed. 24" fluted bbl. with brake. What came as a complete surprise is the barrel is a LARGE shank on a short action?! It's a top bolt release action. It's the first large shank setup I've seen like that in a non magnum cartridge.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Banned
    Is it a 110 Precision, or Elite, with one of the small Port style Actions? They are all Large Shank.

Basic Member
    Long or short action does not determine which size shank. My #12 308 is short action, has large shank. Of course it is the target action.
    It does seem odd to get a large shank on a #10.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

I have an older stock .223 model 10 top release that came in a long action from Savage.Gives me all sort of choices. Whatta Hobby!
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

IF the chassis has SAVAGE on the side it probably is a BA Stealth. At least mine does , and had to put a "flag" / reminder in it's log book and on my CRS reminder board

You say SURPRISE , I say what are they thinking , large shanks on small capacity cases, small shanks on some magnum cases, metal top bolt release's and plastic bottom bolt releases

Banned
    The small Shanks handle magnum cartridges just fine Shooter. Remember the Actions are the same Diameter regardless of Shank size. And we are talking only 1/16” diameter difference between Shank sizes. So a Small Shank uses a barrel with 1/16” less diameter, but the Action & Barrel Nut both have 1/16” more total sidewall material. It’s a wash in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Is it a 110 Precision, or Elite, with one of the small Port style Actions? They are all Large Shank.
    Yes, Elite. His plan when he bought it was to rebarrel to 308 with a factory small shank he has on hand. Shot that plan all to hell!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Yes, Elite. His plan when he bought it was to rebarrel to 308 with a factory small shank he has on hand. Shot that plan all to hell!
    I had the same plan. I got a Precision Elite in 6.5CM which I intended to convert with a custom 6CM barrel I had in stock. Surprise 1: It has the large shank action and my barrel is small shank. Surprise 2: The factory 6.5CM barrel seems to shoot really well. LOL

Exactly my experience. Shot my friend's rifle with Federal match 130 grain ammo Monday.. Groups between 3/4" and 1/2" for multiple groups at 100 yards. Helps have a Athlon scope on it too.

I found and bought the exact same model. I emailed Savage and asked for info on the rifle based on the serial number. I have a Model 10 BA stealth in 6.5 CM with large shank manufactured in 2016.

Currently in the process of re-barreling it with a new Criterion barrel in 6.5 CM from NSS.

BigCrock