Thread: Savage elite precision 338LM

Basic Member

Savage elite precision 338LM

Just ordered a elite precision and have a few questions. First it says a savage factory blueprinted action. Does anyone know what they mean by that or have they done anything at all? I have been looking at a scope base so I can get my full elevation out of my scope. One company had a scope base for 338LM actions only. Is there a different bolt spacing or is the action any different then a std LA? And my last question, what is the bolt body diameter for a 338 action? Is it the same as the other long actions .690( I think) that I have read other places online? Thanks for your help.

Basic Member
    Blue printing just means that they did all the things that they should have already done on every action they make.... they square things up. Usually it means they make sure the locking lugs are square- and match correctly with the action where they lock up. They might use a precision ground recoil lug and make sure the barrel nut face is true. Not a bad thing but also the "floating bolt head" design of a savage is supposed to already account for some of that.

Banned
    The rail you are looking at is the Murphy Titainium or Stainless, right? ALL the Savage 110 long Actions are the same dimensions. The reason it says 338L only is the Action for 338 Lapua is a Port style Action. The rail does not have the cut out like the standard rails. Although they will still fit. And a standard long Action rail will still fit the 338L Action. The bolt sleeve is also the same as the Long Actions. Typical diameter is .694+. But maybe some are as small as .690”.

BTW… that Murphy rail in Titanium is the best rail made. I really want one! But it is a hefty price tag. The stainless is a bit cheaper, but I actually prefer 7076-T6 Billet Aluminum to Stainless. I’m just a huge Titanium fan. Anything I can make from it, or if not, purchase it. Reason I machined my own Bolt Knob from Ti. But I digress.

Basic Member
    Guess I should have said this. I know what blueprinting a action normally is, but does anyone know what they really do or if they even verified timing on the (blueprinted) actions. Or is this like the term the gun companies love to toss around military grade and aerospace material lol

Banned
    I’m sure they do something. But I highly doubt it’s the same as how Fred does them. But then, I’ve never worried about it. I just do the ‘ol “Basement-Blueprinting”. Just make sure everything is square.

Basic Member
    I plan to use this to dip my toes in ELR comps. If I like it I'll either build a custom this winter or rebarrel this gun if I like the savage. Either way I'll try to take the barrel off and measure everything when I get some down time and see if they actually do anything.

Banned
    What are you planning to measure? And against what? And why? Honestly, I’d just shoot it and have have a good time.

Basic Member
    I'm not doing anything till I go to rebarrel it. At that point I will put it in the lathe and see if everything is concentric and square. When I get it in my hands I will work over the trigger and check timing but nothing more then that till after this season

Banned
    Gotchya.. Good deal.