Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting started ?

Basic Member

Getting started ?

I live in S.E. Pennsylvania. Lots of hills and woods, some open fields. It's kind of semi-rural here.

I didn't want to hijack the Mini Calls thread so I figured I'd start a new one. I really want to get into predator hunting/calling but, really have no idea how to start out. I see fox around often enough and have eyed some spots that seem promising but.........have never (successfully) called predators before. I've been really interested in doing this for a while now, I read a lot about it (subscribe to P.E.) and watch TV shows on it. But, like all articles and shows, these guys make it look very easy and tag fox and coyotes every few minutes. Ok, so TV isn't reality.

What's the best way to get myself started ? I'd thought about just going for it but, from what I read, I could actually be teaching my local fox not to come to calls if I'm doing it wrong. I don't want to make things harder.

Basic Member

Re: Getting started ?

Take a look over at Predator Masters. They are a bunch of good guys, like the guys here, and read up. There's lots of great info there.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

Basic Member

Cool, thanks. I registered there a few weeks back. I'll sniff around more.

Basic Member

Brent is right, pm is a great place to learn from. One of the things you will learn is that what works in one place won't in another. Some of the basics remain pretty much the same, you must be able to sit still for 20-60 minutes depending on where you hunt, if you can't then get some burlap cammo from wally or somewhere with some plastic plant stakes and make a little roll up blind so you have wiggle room without being seen.

Predators will flank you, you read the blind spot mirror thing, no refletive surfaces towards the sun, no ss barrels, scopes, glasses etc, cover your face.

You should start with learning mouth calls, closed reed are very simple, i have two closed reed calls that work all year in an area that has heard every single call out there for genarations both were cheap and just work. A western rivers squeaker and a long range loman rabbit call, the rabbit call can be made to wisper or scream it's up to you. Remember that predators have much better hearing than you, i have seen yodies hear squeakers with winds of 35mph+ from 160yds away, don't call to loud. Think about how large the rabbits lungs are and don't call louder than that, if i am out in a large open area i may or may not make the first call a little loud to get their attention.

Yes while your learning to call you are teaching them what to look for as well, so practice in the rig while on your way to and from the hunt. The most important thing to remember is that there must be a predator there to begain with to get one. Here you can go out a dozen or more times and not get a shot, lots of very smart dogs in rough country, it's simply a chess game and you can't win if you don't play. blue

Hutch

Wantin to git started huh??

Well....first things first. It AINT chess, it's more like checkers. What I mean is, keep things simple, start with small expectations.
    Must haves: predators....simple huh?? if there aint no coyotes in the area, you aint gonna call em in
    Rifle...whatever you have will work. mind you, be smart. A 22 lr aint an effective and consistant coyote, or for that matter fox killer... it can do it, just not everytime...duh.
    Call....the easiest is electronic, obviously. Do yourself a favor and learn to use hand calls. Right now you WILL suck, later, you'll be the cats meow, cool huh?? Closed reed calls are the easiest to learn, open reed have alot more versatility....git both. In my opinion....production calls really suck, they don't have good sound they are hard to blow, THEY SUCK!!
    I'm not sure what's availible over at Predator Masters, I do know what's avaible at the NPHA ( National Predator Hunters Association) as far as custom calls go....high quality with give away prices, for the most part. Check'em out, you'll like em...

Other than those three things it's just a big learnin curve. Read what you can, pick brains every chance you git, go on some of these git together hunts some of theses various groups do, have fun, take notes, but most of all....HAVE FUN!!!! enjoy being out there...

Every thing else is gravy

Hutch

Basic Member

Cool, thanks.

Not sure about coyotes here. I'm sure there are a few around but, I'm not banking on that. We have a good fox population though.

This area is shotgun only, no centerfire rifle until you get about another 20 miles North. Was planning on using a 17HMR for my foxing, that won't do the job ?

Thanks again for all of the input, I need all the help I can get. ;D

Basic Member

Yes the .17 should work for that. As you see when you ask two different people what to do you will get two or more different answers. The npha is a good forum as well, simply more info on pm since it's been around longer. As for going with other people, yes it's a good way to learn, if they have good hunting habits otherwise you just learn what not to do. Thats something you will have to decide.

Hutch is right that above all it should be fun, life's just to short to do things that aren't. While your learning, take the time to learn tracking as well, they go hand in hand and you will be supprised at where you will find tracks. That will lead you to places to hunt that others miss. Len Mcdougall has a little book out called "the complete tracker" thats easy to read and a good starter book on what, where, when and why.

Predator hunting is a lot of fun, ... and very addictive. blue

Hutch

And VERY addictive!!!!!

AS far as two different perspectives...naw I don't think so. Now don't read me wrong, I ain't lookin for no fights or nuthin, just clarity.

I think with beginners, the single biggest mistake "mentors" make is creating to many rules right off the bat, this can be pretty overwhelming for some. That's why I like the simple approach of use what you got, For now. your experainces will dictate how you hunt them and what equipment you need.. And as whith anything else take everything you read and are told with a grain of salt, Ain't none of it gospel. These critters will do things you'ld have never thought they would. There will be general consistanceys...For the most part try anything you can think of, call into the wind , with the wind, across the wind...whatever, Although! with all that said, I highly recomend keeping the sun ought of your face...glare off of your equipment can ruin a hunt pretty quick, plus, it's hard to see with sun in your face....

If I remember right Predator Masters has a bioligy section???? If, I'm correct....read it ALOT!!

.17 HMR, well...like i said earlier. It'll do for now. BE SMART about shot placement and try to keep your shots close to maximize the effectiveness....I'm gittin pretty enamoured with the .17 Fireball, personally I think this to be an awesome fox cartridge,BUT!!!! you can't have a Savage 17FB unless it's single shot...

Shotguns are awesome!!~!~ very effective! just like everything else, play with it to find the load and choke combo that works for YOU!!!

Git to callin!!!

Hutch

Basic Member

Get out there a try it. You will learn more from the ones that you screw up on than the ones that you kill. Wait, maybe that is because there will be so many more screw ups than kills to learn from. ;D
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

Basic Member

This is probably like asking..."which load is going to shoot best from my barrel" but.....

Any tips on an easy-ish mouth caller to start off on ??

Basic Member

closed reed calls are easiest to start with, you can get more types of sounds with an open reed but they take more practice as well. If you wear a camo net over your face to hide your face you will find you can call with a closed reed call, but i can't with an open reed without more movement than i want.

If you start with a closed reed by the time you get pretty good with it you will have learned the basics of a open reed as well. E calls work as well, you are simply limmited to whats programed on the call, which may or may not be what you need at that moment. blue

Hutch

Closed reed...definently the way to start.
    I see waaaay to many peoplr that are waaaay to dependant on an E-caller. Batteries die, a malfunction of some an they go home for the day or even the whole weekend. Not this Cat!!!!
    The only time I use an E-call is if I think the situation would be better(relative term) served, or more productive. even then I'm itchin to pull out a hand call, that's just me though

Hutch

Basic Member

First time out this morning...nothing

The two spots I called (State Game Lands) do look promising though. Saw tracks is the snow walking in to both.

Had a nice talk with a trapper in the parking area by the first spot, he'd trapped a little female red. He immediately made it clear that he knew much more about this than I did and that hunters are wasting their time trying to call a fox, they see hunters too often and are far too smart for that.......I'm hoping that he's wrong.

Gonna give those two spots a try again at dusk tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelheadave
    First time out this morning...nothing

The two spots I called (State Game Lands) do look promising though. Saw tracks is the snow walking in to both.

Had a nice talk with a trapper in the parking area by the first spot, he'd trapped a little female red. He immediately made it clear that he knew much more about this than I did and that hunters are wasting their time trying to call a fox, they see hunters too often and are far too smart for that.......I'm hoping that he's wrong.

Gonna give those two spots a try again at dusk tonight.
    I am new to calling also, but not to dealing with people and it sounds like that trapper is just trying to save his territory by discouraging you.

Gordon

Basic Member

Nope, no luck in the evening either.

Hutch

I went almost 3 years from my first coyote to my second one....it can be very humbling. But don't give up!! it'll be worth it

Git after'em

Hutch

Basic Member

Don't listen to the trapper or anybody else, the fact that you are seeing tracks answers the question of if anything is there. Now it's just a matter of how you will get your prey. I live in an area of amazing abundance of game and predators, however they aren't just educated, they all have phd's or they don't make it past the first season. To me this just makes it more interesting, if i can't out think them then i haven't earned the right to shoot them. This is also what makes it a chess game to me, and to be honest luck plays a good part of anybody's hunt.

Hutch is right, this type of hunting is very humbling, you earn everyone you get. It just makes it that much more rewarding when you do. blue

Basic Member

Agreed, out this morning also....no luck. But, I'm trying to be alot more aware of what I'm doing. I can see it being a long learning curve.........still beats a day in the office though. :)

Basic Member

Wow !!! That was awesome, this is the first fox I've called in. Scouted a new area last week where a friend had seen a fox while deer hunting.

Went back this morning and set up in some tall grass overlooking an open area. Blew one short calling sequence and she was on me. It happened so fast I almost didn't get a shot. From sitting down to squeezing the trigger was probably less than two minutes.

I guess lesson #1 is, be prepared BEFORE you start calling. :)

[img width=600 height=450]http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd84/Shovelheadave/Fox2.jpg[/img]

Very cool!

Congrats on a nice looking fox.

Now you're hooked. There'll be no living with you now...

:D
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

leather5to1

How you doing neighbor, quakertown here. Good luck.

Basic Member

Cool, got this over by Collegeville.

rez187

as a fellow lefty nice thumbhole hummer! i see from your first post to now has been a while, thats why they call it hunting and not killing. learn from your stands and adapt to the surroundings, camo, scent control, calling and best of all no movement learn to master these and youll do what no man has done before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no but really keep hunting, SHOOT ETHICALLY and pass the sport on.

Hutch

Heck Yeah! That&#39;s awesome!! yup, there ain&#39;t no livin with ya now

Hutch

Basic Member

Watched a really nice Red out back yesterday morning.......too bad the season ended on Sat. >

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast