Thread: Pillar bedding kit

Basic Member

Pillar bedding kit

Anyone have personal experience with this kit? I purchased an older 110 wood stock (pre-pillars) that I want to cut down, install pillars and bed for a starter rifle for my 8 yr old. He will be 9 if he hunts with it next year, but time to start shooting off bags, so I want to put the rifle together. This will be my first pillar and bed job to do personally on my own. I have helped and that is about it. I have stocks bedded in Devcon - group stuff in my book. Anyhow, anyone with experience using this kit? Thanks, Tim

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_304642

Harriershot

Re: Pillar bedding kit

The pillars look correct but I would only use Devcon with kiwi neutral shoe polish to bed.

Charlie

Ditto what Charlie said. Also check out Stocky's Stocks. They are a site sponsor and I believe they cheaper for the pre cut pillars.
    More shooting, less typing.

Team Savage

I've purchased and bedded several Savages with these pillars. They work perfect and already have the rear notch cut. You can purchase just the pillar kit without the epoxy. Look for Gunsmith Pillar Kits on the vendors Ebay site.

Basic Member

JP, Are these the types of pillars you put in the stock I just got from you? I would sure like to duplicate your work.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by jpdown
    I've purchased and bedded several Savages with these pillars. They work perfect and already have the rear notch cut. You can purchase just the pillar kit without the epoxy. Look for Gunsmith Pillar Kits on the vendors Ebay site.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by tiny68
    JP, Are these the types of pillars you put in the stock I just got from you? I would sure like to duplicate your work.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by jpdown
    I've purchased and bedded several Savages with these pillars. They work perfect and already have the rear notch cut. You can purchase just the pillar kit without the epoxy. Look for Gunsmith Pillar Kits on the vendors EBay site.
    Yes, these are the pillars I used in the stock you purchased. I put two layers of tape around the action bolts to center in the pillars and attach pillars to the action. I bed the pillars first. This allows me to get the action level and centered in the stock and the barrel free floated in the stock. I then come back and fully bed the action and recoil lug using Devcon Steel Epoxy in the double barrel syringe available at many hardware stores