Thread: New Action barrel swap from another action

New Action barrel swap from another action

I just picked up a new left port target action and want to swap out a barrel and nut from another target action. I am wondering if I mark the barrel on the current action if it will thread to the same exact point on the new action?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raydee38 View Post
    I just picked up a new left port target action and want to swap out a barrel and nut from another target action. I am wondering if I mark the barrel on the current action if it will thread to the same exact point on the new action?
    The head space needs to be set, either with a Go Gauge or a Case !!!

Team Savage
    I put index marks on my barrels and action before swapping. Then you can replace them and be very close to correct headspace. Just remember to use the same parts, nut and recoil lug.

Banned
    It will be close, might even be on. But then, it might not. And you’ll have no way of know until there is a problem. Now, I’ve never heard of a rifle going ATOMIC because Headspace wasn’t on. But then, I don’t want to be the first to actually experience it! Not to mention, other problems can result from improper Headspace & leave you chasing your tail guessing at other culprits because you think Headspace is correct. No thanks. Do it right. Use a Go Gauge, and just use two pieces of scotch tape on the back as a “No Go” Gauge. (I actually make perfect shims from Feeler Gauges instead of the tape.)

A Headspace Go Gauge is not very expensive, and if you check around here, you might even find someone that has one & would be happy to loan it to you.

Do it right and forget the half measures. Use a go gauge and be safe. Life is too short, why gamble with it. Whatta Hobby!
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Basic Member
    As mentioned- you need to set headspace again.... marking the barrel would get you back very close if you decided to put the barrel back on the other action (as long as you use the same recoil lug) Also- savage does not time the threads- so any roll marks or stamps on the barrel can end up anywhere.... except where you want them.

Ok I do have both Go and No-Go gauges so its not a big deal. I will mark the barrel because it will end up going back on the old action at some point.