Thread: Hornet and Herrett

Basic Member

Hornet and Herrett

my friend and i went to a local auction and i bought 300 cartridges of the 22 Hornet. 100 are 35gr V-Max, 100 are 45gr HP and 100 of Winchester 45gr RN. since there is no box, i have to impact hammer them. then when i came home, there is a Graf and Sons box that has 22 Hornet cases (250 cases). i'll put the 22 Hornet Prvi's away until my used cases crack.

10" Contender barrel in 22 Hornet, in case you are wondering.

it took me some time, but i did do the 30 Herrett cases right. now all it needs is some fireforming, which i'll load up Trail Boss tomorrow (130gr Speer HP and TB and 100 Starline cases). i took 5 out of reformed 30 Herrett cases, then i primed them, put in 9.0gr of TB and then i seated the bullet. i took the Contender and bullets outside, lined up the target and bang! reload and bang! reload and bang! reload and bang! and reload and bang!

10" Contender barrel in 30 Herrett

I'm curious why you don't just shoot the Hornet ammo as is? The bullet tips are very obviously different from each other. I certainly wouldn't pull the bullets on factory ammo.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

If you are unsure of whether they are factory or reloads, I would invest in a bullet pulling die & collect. Mine are RCBS and they are very handy

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim View Post
    I'm curious why you don't just shoot the Hornet ammo as is? The bullet tips are very obviously different from each other. I certainly wouldn't pull the bullets on factory ammo.
    because the cartidges are in a 1 gallon ziploc bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjshell View Post
    If you are unsure of whether they are factory or reloads, I would invest in a bullet pulling die & collect. Mine are RCBS and they are very handy
    This is the ticket! One of the collet style pullers, used correctly, will let you reclaim the bullets and brass with little problem.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

What does that have to do with anything? You can separate them out and put each type in its own MTM or other ammo box.

I certainly wouldn't pull them.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member
    Unknown loading- possibility of over load for his unit. taking apart and saving cases and bullets the smart way to approach this. Frankly I prefer the press type dismantler over the bang stick approach. Again it is the unknown- as in how old and stability of powder contained in cases or sensitivity of primers. Yes I have used the bang stick approach with considerable apprehension, even broke one, after that episode went to the press version.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Unknown loading- possibility of over load for his unit. taking apart and saving cases and bullets the smart way to approach this. Frankly I prefer the press type dismantler over the bang stick approach. Again it is the unknown- as in how old and stability of powder contained in cases or sensitivity of primers. Yes I have used the bang stick approach with considerable apprehension, even broke one, after that episode went to the press version.

i'll probably go with the bullet puller and collet die whenever the hammer breaks.