Thread: Starting a new build

Basic Member

Starting a new build

Greetings, I have been an acquiring the parts to build a custom 110 type rifle. Starting with a bottom bolt release 111 in .300wm and I am going to put it into a an MTD chassis that a local sold me. I do not have any magazines, the bolt release that is on the receiver is incorrect for the chassis. Ultimately I want to rebarrel it to .264 wm, with a longer free bore to be able to use vld’s. It needs a taller scope rings so I can get a better scope, the 3-9 Nikon on it is not what I want for long range. I believe that I will need a top bolt release and savage won’t even talk to me, a local ffl got no where also on getting a new one. Am I at a point where I just need to send it out or should I just keep trying to find sources for what I am looking for? I am very mechanical, but it’s frustrating that Savage doesn’t seem to be as supported like the Remington actions are. Any advice would be appreciated.
    tim

Basic Member
    Finding out the hard way I see. For liability reasons Savage has a whole range of parts they will not sell to the public or as of late offer advice.

Also as you will soon find Savage stocks are very dependent on which particular action it is designed for. They are not easily interchangeable. So at this point there is a decision to make. Keep the bottom bolt action and find the correct stock or keep the stock and find a top bolt release action.

Myself I have both a top bolt and a bottom bolt. You will find more stocks offered for the top bolt than the bottom bolt. Then also pay very close attention to the action screw spacing. There are 3 most common ones out there and then a few others that are not so common.

Easiest thing is to list the action for sale on our classified section. Once it sells buy a top bolt release action in our classified section. Or other sites classifieds as well.

You may also have to buy a complete rifle with top bolt release just to get the action. Done that many times myself.

Or, since you already have an action, sell the stock and get one that will accept that action. There’s actually someone with a want ad looking for that stock currently in our classifieds.

Banned
    Indeed. You can’t change a Bottom Bolt Release to Top Bolt Release. You either need a different Chassis. (Just get the Oryx) TBR Action. OR Different Action with TBR. And for future endeavors; best to research before making any purchase. Don’t Assume.

Basic Member
    To elaborate a bit more the Top Bolt Release is available with 2 really common designs and they are not interchangeable. One is a Stagger Feed magazine which is what I have and the other is a Center Feed magazine. They both use different action screw spacing's. Then the Long action receiver uses a completely different spacing. So please be aware of this.

All items should be easily re-saleable and you shouldn't loose anything on them. Myself I am not picky and if I had a spare Top Bolt Release action I would certainly swap you piece for piece.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    To elaborate a bit more the Top Bolt Release is available with 2 really common designs and they are not interchangeable. One is a Stagger Feed magazine which is what I have and the other is a Center Feed magazine. They both use different action screw spacing's. Then the Long action receiver uses a completely different spacing. So please be aware of this.

All items should be easily re-saleable and you shouldn't loose anything on them. Myself I am not picky and if I had a spare Top Bolt Release action I would certainly swap you piece for piece.

Good info.. but aside any of that, the Actions themselves are machined differently in the rear. The BBR Action is Round, where as the TBR has a machined flat space for the Bolt Release Lever. The Top Release Sear simply won’t fit a BBR Action. Though I’m not certain of vice versa. (Can’t see WHY anyone would put a BBR Sear on a TBR Action, even if possible!)

Basic Member
    If I could figure out how to post pics, I would… the chassis costs more than the rifle, MTD

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by astjp2 View Post
    If I could figure out how to post pics, I would… the chassis costs more than the rifle, MTD
    Use 3rd party picture hosting, like this: https://imgbb.com/

Its very easy, don’t need to sign up, give an email or anything. Just Upload from device, click the picture & choose the BB code from the list.

If you are a machinist the conversion to top bolt release from bottom bolt release is doable. Don't forget the rear primary extraction baffle and the sear.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    If you are a machinist the conversion to top bolt release from bottom bolt release is doable. Don't forget the rear primary extraction baffle and the sear.
    I believe that while I have a mill and lathe, it might be time to get an actual expert smith, the nuances and my lack of experience with a savage are showing.

Banned
    Well, the problem there is you aren’t likely going to find a Gunsmith willing to machine machine the side of the Action to fit a TBR, even if they were capable. And although any decent machinist is capable, most machinists don’t have FFL’s & are not legally able to accept your Action. So it’s a conundrum.

Main reason many years ago I started putting so much time and effort into learning to do all work myself. So I’d never be at the will of another to make a firearm run.

Basic Member
    It looks like the serial is a j so 2013-2018 timeframe, now go get an understanding of the differences in the accutrigger and regular one and if there are differences between action size and length. More research! Maybe I will get out to the milling machine, build a pair of jaws and then machine the action for the sear. Carbide should work well for steel…

Team Savage
    You mention you purchased a 111 in 300 wm with bottom bolt release and you want to build a 264 wm so you have a long action with 5.062" bolt spacing. All long actions have the same bolt spacing regardless of being stagger or center feed. You do not mention which MDT chassis you purchased, but does it not have the small slot on the right side to allow for insertion of a tool (flat screwdriver, pin punch, allen key, etc.) to allow you to active your bottom bolt release lever by pulling the tool to the rear? If your chassis predates the slot, might it not be cleaner/easier to mill one into the chassis vs milling your action? Or talk with MDT and see if they would do it for you? While I do not shoot or own an MDT chassis, the one I have shot and all the others I have seen had the slot shown in the pic below and thus accommodated both top and bottom bolt releases.

Basic Member
    LSS gen 2, and I need to get some magazines for it...104182-blk. Which I believe is the 3.715 length mag and not the 3.815 length.
    It was a deal for the chassis and folding stock. I may build some vise jaws or stick if into a 4 jaw on the rotary table on the mill. Alignment of the vise and rotary table will take more time than cutting the receiver.
    Thanks for the.replies. tim

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by astjp2 View Post
    LSS gen 2, and I need to get some magazines for it...104182-blk. Which I believe is the 3.715 length mag and not the 3.815 length.
    It was a deal for the chassis and folding stock. I may build some vise jaws or stick if into a 4 jaw on the rotary table on the mill. Alignment of the vise and rotary table will take more time than cutting the receiver.
    Thanks for the.replies. tim
    Your LSS-G2 should have that cutout like the above pic that Wildcat posted. Does yours not have it? Have you test fit to make sure it’s correct. Because I don’t believe the same Chassis for the Rem.700 has that cutout.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Your LSS-G2 should have that cutout like the above pic that Wildcat posted. Does yours not have it? Have you test fit to make sure it’s correct. Because I don’t believe the same Chassis for the Rem.700 has that cutout.
    mine has the slot, so that is a start on the gathering of information.

Basic Member
    I ordered a couple of magazines that were factory aics and the came in and fit, it looks like the .264 wm is only available in a schillen barrel. So now to save up for that and a barrel nut since mine is smooth then do some assembly…