Thread: Anyone on here also own and shoot a Tikka?

Basic Member

Anyone on here also own and shoot a Tikka?

If one is to believe other rifle/shooting/hunting web sites, it`s pretty much all Tikka in general and T3X in particular. Everything else, certainly including Savage rifles, are hardly worth mentioning. I thought perhaps someone on Savage Shooters that also shoots a Tikka could give something better approaching an OBJECTIVE comparison. Thanks.

Basic Member
    I like my savage rifles...... but tikka is a step above.

The bolt is much smoother.... they feed and extract better.... you can buy shouldered pre-fits because of how uniform the actions are. The aftermarket is getting better for them. Lots of people use Tikka actions for their builds.

Tikka only has 1 action length- so unless something has recently changed they were not a good choice for long action cartridges that people wanted to be able to load beyond sammi length. And some of the magazines they used were kind of a pain. Some people will compare them to a custom action- I've never been that high on them- but they are at the top of the factory actions imo.

Banned
    Them are just sooo Smoove! Oh! The smooveness! It’s like the Tikka bolt glides on butter’d ball bearings made of Ultra-Glide! Why.. it’s smoover than if you you just motion racking the bolt! Smoover than AIR RACKING! LOL!

Savages shoot better. Always have. They look better to. Tikka’s are just FUGLY looking Actions. That’s why when you talk to Tikka fans, it’s nothing but talk about that Tikka “SMOOVEIVITY”!

Hash tag: SMOOVE!

Basic Member
    In reality, Most other brand's factory actions are smoother operating than a Savage action. Sako / Tikka action's have always been some of the smoothest operating bolt action rifles, and are well known for it. As far as accuracy is concerned, most any brand of rifle produced today will shoot good with good factory ammo, and excellent with handload's.

All factory rifles have their flaws to over come, that's why a lot of shooter's buy custom action's that have everything you want without the built in factory flaws. I still have 5 Savage action rifle's, but after building 4 rifles with custom action's, I probably won't buy any factory action rifles again.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Them are just sooo Smoove! Oh! The smooveness! It’s like the Tikka bolt glides on butter’d ball bearings made of Ultra-Glide! Why.. it’s smoover than if you you just motion racking the bolt! Smoover than AIR RACKING! LOL!

Savages shoot better. Always have. They look better to. Tikka’s are just FUGLY looking Actions. That’s why when you talk to Tikka fans, it’s nothing but talk about that Tikka “SMOOVEIVITY”!

Hash tag: SMOOVE!
    Wow, someone doesn't like tikka fans.

And it is true the "smooverness" does not have anything to do with how well the rifle is going to shoot- but it does play a huge role in how it will function. It also tells you about the capability of the people making them, or at least if they care or not.

Not sure where you are getting the info that savages shoot better.... I think they both have a reputation for good out of the box accuracy. Also not a fan of the tikka action look- but that's pretty subjective.

I have a soft spot for savage rifles- probably because as a kid that wanted a 223 for coyotes more than anything- and waking up to a Savage on Christmas morning. But that also doesn't give me blinders to the flaws that they have. I think that the axis line should be avoided at all cost (just like the 770 and 783 that rem made). And that you should only buy a savage in the value range. Once you get into the $1200 to $2200 price range I see absolutely no reason to even look at a savage- because there's so many better options. I really can't believe that those elite precision guns ever move.... but that's just my opinion. It seems like savage has been pushing the price higher (more than just inflation) but not really doing anything to justify it. Savage guns should live in that $400 to $800 range IMHO.

Basic Member
    I agree with you on all that.

Savages can be accurate, they can also not be accurate, depending on the day the barrel was made and how much it had to be straightened. One of the things I don't like about my .308 BVSS barrel is how much it drifts as it heats up. Still makes smaller groups, they just aren't in the same place when the barrel is warmer.

Basic Member
    I do, and on average the Savages are more accurate, and the accutrigger is a nicer trigger (not by much), but the Tikka is smoother feeding. I have not had extraction problems with either.

I switched to all tikka have two savage actions left that see little use. Shooting lots of prairie dogs I got tired of the tinkering and misfeeds and failed ejections. Can’t really say savage or tikka is more accurate than the other as both shoot very good. The big difference to me is the smoooveness of the bolt, very reliable ejection/extraction and some very nice crisp triggers. Plus prefits are available for the tikkas everywhere now.

Banned
    One thing I’ll add for the Savage & Tikka owners: check out https://lumleyarms.us/ Guy who owns it has some great ideas. He makes parts for many rifles, but has a special connection with Tikka & Savage. (Especially Tikka!) Like me, he’s a fan of 6AL4V Titanium. I have the bolt handle & BAS he makes for the Savage, but he’s got some beautiful Ti parts for Tikka as well.

Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    I switched to all tikka have two savage actions left that see little use. Shooting lots of prairie dogs I got tired of the tinkering and misfeeds and failed ejections. Can’t really say savage or tikka is more accurate than the other as both shoot very good. The big difference to me is the smoooveness of the bolt, very reliable ejection/extraction and some very nice crisp triggers. Plus prefits are available for the tikkas everywhere now.
    They do operate smooth. As prefits for more actions become more available, the choice for for the home smith and amateur builder is shifting away from Savage.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.