Thread: Considering an Axis?

Basic Member

Considering an Axis?

Attachment 9463Attachment 9464
    Here is my experience, as short as possible. Some years ago got a 1st generation Axis in 7mm-08. Right of the bat was a nice light packing rifle that handled well and really didn’t need a thing. Shot under 1 inch groups. Many have shared their dislike of the stock trigger but I found this particular rifle to be fine.
    One thing led to another from following this forum and I began to tinker. First, Rockite filled the stock. JB Weld bedded the action. Mcarbo trigger. End result, the rifle became heavier, the trigger lighter and accuracy about the same.
    Next I shed the plastic stock and went with a Boyd’s Prairie Hunter. Aluminum pillars, but no bedding, and a Pchmayr recoil pad. For a scope I have a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24. The whole thing weights about 8.5 lbs, not a mountain rifle but for my taste I like prefer the solid feel of a little extra weight.
    Tinkering with a reload I settled on Lapua Brass, Winchester primers, 42.5 gr AA 4064, 140 Berger VLD with a COAL of 2.75. Damn! First 3 shots grouped under ½ inch at 100 yds. I am done tinkering, this is a keeper.Considering an Axis?

Have done most of the same things as you. Overall, I like the Axis better than the 110's. Have gone with Boyd's Lightweight Thumbholes and Prairie Hunters on all mine....plus Rifle Basix Triggers.

Basic Member
    I my Axis a lot too. Started as a .223 HB. Now it has my 12BVSS barrel on it in .308. Serves as my main cast bullet shooter, but, has many jacketed rounds through it as well.

I also have a Boyd's stock, Pro Varmint. And Vortex DIamondback 16x. Bedded and pillars. I still like my 12BVSS betteer. I should, it cost twice as much :)

Sent from my SM-P613 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Have done most of the same things as you. Overall, I like the Axis better than the 110's. Have gone with Boyd's Lightweight Thumbholes and Prairie Hunters on all mine....plus Rifle Basix Triggers.
    An interesting comment about liking the Axis more than the 110`s. Curious to know why. By the way, not starting an argument, just genuinely interested. I have a 110 Storm that I like very much.

I've just got a stock Axis II in .223. It never fails to put a smile on my face !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkeytider View Post
    An interesting comment about liking the Axis more than the 110`s. Curious to know why. By the way, not starting an argument, just genuinely interested. I have a 110 Storm that I like very much.
    I gotta say… I to am a bit confounded by that While I do think the Axis is a solid rifle, it’s clearly designed & built to a be a more economical Action. Things like the tang being a separate piece, the strange Recoil Lug design & use of Cast Aluminum parts.. the only thing worse than stamped steel parts, are CAST Aluminum parts! Not to mention an aftermarket even more abysmal than the 110. Really, it’s pluses, besides the price, are those bits it takes directly from the 110. The same barrel & nut… the same SA Floating Bolt Head.

I think of of the Axis as a good hunting gun or for the very economical driven shooters.

The early version of the Axis, the Edge, put a bad taste in everyone's mouth. I have not worked with the newer Axis versions. The bolt lift really hurt the older 10/110 Savages. The triggers also hurt both rifle styles but the bolt lift was improved on the one piece firing pin versions of both models. I can see where people are happy with the Axis. A change of stocks and the trigger would make it a relatively inexpensive rifle that would be a great shooter.

For me, model 10's take the advantage after learning how to make needed improvements.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Our 243 axis has been impressively accurate. No complaints there.
    I’m not a fan of the force required to turn open the bolt on the axis action. The stock trigger (non accutrigger)is terrible also. The axis stock is very flimsy and can be forced by squishing into contacting the barrel.

Basic Member
    I wonder if there is quite a variation in triggers. Mine was too heavy but other than that it seemed OK. I put in a different spring and got it down to around 1# and it works good. The only complaint I have about Savage is the extremely long throats. Also, my Axis seemed to erode the throat much faster than I would expect.

Basic Member
    FYI, there are different versions of the Axis. Older versions had basic triggers and flimsy stocks (fore arms not very stiff). Then the Accutrigger was added. Then they changed the stock to the current model (which I have not heard any flexing complaints).

So, if you buy one today you'll get a nice rifle that is suitable for many situations. It is not a target rifle. Unless you find one with a heavy barrel, it will have a lighter contour which will cause drift as it heats up. The trigger is the standard Accutrigger, which adjusts down to around 2 or 2 1/2lb. Servicable, but, not a target trigger.

Savage actions in general are not noted for being smooth or easy to manipulate. They can be frustrating if you try to cycle them fast. Axis are more so.

After market is very limited.

You can invest money in one and make it better, but, then you end up spending more than if you had purchased a better action/rifle to begin with.

Sent from my SM-P613 using Tapatalk

I purchased a basic Axis on which to build a long range rifle. Using the action and trigger, I added a Mcarbo spring kit, a Boyd's Pro Varmint, Brux 28" Palma profile barrel 1:8 twist in 260 Remington with a muzzle brake and a 12X SWFA-SS on a 20 MOA rail. So far, it is producing 1/4 MOA 5 shot groups with a Barnes 145 grain Match Burner ahead of a moderate load of VV-N160.

Basic Member
    Does not surprise me in the least. My stock Axis was in .223 and came with a heavy varmint barrel. It would produce sub-1/2MOA groups on a regular basis. Adding a barrel that costs more than the rifle will improve on that a lot.

Some have postulated that the Axis receiver is as stiff as the 110 style target actions since it only has a port machined into it for cartridge ejection. The only weak part in that stiffness is the weird recoil lug. Some who convert theirs to target rifles will machine off that portion of the receiver and use the 'standard' recoil lug from the 110 series.

A friend of mine picked up a used Axis in an MDT stock at the LGS chambered 243. I rebarreled it for him with a Savage varmint weight 308 barrel. It shoots like a laser at 300 yards with Gold Medal 168 gr ammo. We have yet to try it with hand loads.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Quote Originally Posted by Herby View Post
    Attachment 9463Attachment 9464
    Here is my experience, as short as possible. Some years ago got a 1st generation Axis in 7mm-08. Right of the bat was a nice light packing rifle that handled well and really didn’t need a thing. Shot under 1 inch groups. Many have shared their dislike of the stock trigger but I found this particular rifle to be fine.
    One thing led to another from following this forum and I began to tinker. First, Rockite filled the stock. JB Weld bedded the action. Mcarbo trigger. End result, the rifle became heavier, the trigger lighter and accuracy about the same.
    Next I shed the plastic stock and went with a Boyd’s Prairie Hunter. Aluminum pillars, but no bedding, and a Pchmayr recoil pad. For a scope I have a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24. The whole thing weights about 8.5 lbs, not a mountain rifle but for my taste I like prefer the solid feel of a little extra weight.
    Tinkering with a reload I settled on Lapua Brass, Winchester primers, 42.5 gr AA 4064, 140 Berger VLD with a COAL of 2.75. Damn! First 3 shots grouped under ½ inch at 100 yds. I am done tinkering, this is a keeper.Considering an Axis?
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67