Thread: Need a little help

Need a little help

My brother has a Savage 112 BVSS in .223 that he leaves with me. Over the winter I ordered a SSS single shot follower because he only shoots paper and the internal magazine was inconvenient. Installation seemed easy enough. I removed the internal magazine and placed the single shot follower in the receiver in the opening. It fit perfectly and I put the barreled action back into the stock and torqued up the bolts. Everything looked fine.

Today we finally got to the club. The rifle displayed some issues. Closing the bolt OFTEN caused the firing pin to release and the Accutriger to be firm in its place. On the occasions when the firing pin stayed in place, the slightest touch of the trigger seemed to drop the firing pin (you could hear it) but the round would not fire. There was no indent in the primer. These two things happened repeatedly.

When I got home I pulled the barreled action out of the stock and everything looked fine. I tried to cycle the bolt and dry fire the gun but the same two things happened intermittently. It never functioned normally.

Anyone have any idea what went wrong and/or how to fix this?

adjust the trigger spring preload.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Yes.. As Robin said. Put it back to where it was before you adjusted it to be lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yes.. As Robin said. Put it back to where it was before you adjusted it to be lighter.
    I didn't adjust anything, merely installed the SSS adaptor. Do you have a link to show how to adjust the trigger spring preload?

EDIT: Never mind, I was able to find it on the net. Now all I have to do is locate an adjustment tool.

Banned
    LOL.. no, I was J/K with you. You actually don’t need the little tool…just turn it by hand, with your fingertips.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    LOL.. no, I was J/K with you. You actually don’t need the little tool…just turn it by hand, with your fingertips.
    Looks like you were correct about the trigger spring. The fingertip idea worked but would only turn the spring a small amout. Fortunately, the little tool arrived quickly. I had no problem getting the trigger working properly again and it is currently set at 1.5lbs. I'd be interested in knowing two things as I moved forward.

1. What is the recommended trigger pull weight range for the Accutrigger? I don't want it set too light.

2. What is the recommended torque spec for the action bolts on the 112 BVSS w/ laminated stock?

Banned
    Awesome!

Your questions will likely have multiple answers, especially the 2nd one. For trigger pull, the standard Accutrigger was meant to adjust down to 2.5lbs safely. Now, some people are able to get that lower, some higher. Typically, getting down to the level you indicated requires some work. Even then, the Sear can grip on closing the bolt. Great thing about, and why I do love “Safe Action triggers”, like the Accutrigger, it will never strike the primer and light off a round UNLESS one pulls the trigger. The Accutrigger is 100% safe from accidental discharge. My advice is set it as low as you like that is not dropping the Sear before the safety lever is depressed entirely.

As to your second question, there are many different views on this. I recommend on a Non-Pillar, Non-Bedded, Laminated stock to set front & rear Action screws at 30 Inch Pounds. Maybe set the Read at like 25inlbs, if you’re superstitious. I don’t play the “mess with torque value” game. But many do. I prefer just playing with reloading.

Basic Member
    I assume you have a Varmint trigger since you were able to get it down to 1.5 lbs - the lower limit on the Varmint trigger is 1.5 lbs.
    The regular Accu-trigger limit is 2.5 lbs, I believe.
    I don't have any of the regular Accu-triggers, but based upon reports I have read, people have had the same experiences with sear lock up when the triggers are set to at minimum.

The problem is that at the lower limit of the adjustment range, an Accu-trigger is very sensitive to side pressure on the aluminum "safety" portion of the trigger, and it will lock the sear. It is a safety feature to protect against a side load on the trigger (like it was dropped or hit against something.)
    I have found on two of my 6 Target Accu-triggers, they loosen up over time (like after 2,500 rounds).
    If the trigger settings get lighter, the trigger can lock the sear if I don't get my finger straight onto the aluminum tab.

If the target trigger is set at 2 lbs, and kept at that setting (LocTite has been a great help), I have never had a problem with sear lock-up.
    All my target triggers are set at 2 lbs. That eliminates the lock ups and makes all my triggers feel the same.
    I would recommend you use 2 lbs as a lower limit, especially since you have already experienced sear lock up.

I don't really notice the difference that extra 1/2-lb makes, other than it keeps my triggers from prematurely locking up the sear.

The Precision Target trigger, that comes with a red tab, can be set a low as 6 oz. I have one and it came from the factory set at 10 oz.
    I found that trying to shoot triggers with a really light pull in the same session as triggers with a 2-lb pull cause me to have a problem with whichever trigger I shoot second.
    I finally decided that I should tighten the 10 oz trigger to the point where I don't notice the problem. Turns out that at 1 lb 2 oz, I don't notice the difference and can shoot the second rifle in a session without any issues, whether it is 2-lbs or 1-lb 2-oz.

Banned
    Honestly, I can’t stand this culture of referring to different triggers in “poundage”, or pulling force. It’s the number one thing that has turned the market into the trigger happy(and expensive) realm it is) I learned so many years ago that so much more goes into a trigger than the pulling effort. I don’t even own one of those trigger pull gauges. Those things are so misleading. I’ve set triggers at 4lbs break that that felt better than some triggers breaking at 2lbs! There is Creep, Let Off, Break & Over Travel. They all play a part in trigger feel I tell people to not get so caught up in pull weight. But I digress

Basic Member
    "There is Creep, Let Off, Break & Over Travel."
    Now Mr Hoback I know you are extremely knowledgeable and just slightly opinionated, but you forgot ounces. A TG isn't as evil as you think.

Team Savage

I have 2 of the 3 AccuTrigger versions, a varmint/LE on my 12FV set to 1.5lbs at the factory and 2 Target models, both set to 10z. I like all of them and they perform well.

Banned
    I’ve always been fond of the Accutrigger. Just as I’ve always been fond of Series 80 1911 triggers(with FP blocks) & Glock triggers. These style are the only 100% safe, accidental discharge proof triggers. The Trigger MUST must be depressed. The only setting back issue I’ve found with the Accutrigger is lack of a Sear adjustment. And the trigger itself being too soft to properly add one. However, that has been addressed by one Aftermarket Trigger. But I need hands on for my own testament.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie-NY View Post
    Looks like you were correct about the trigger spring. The fingertip idea worked but would only turn the spring a small amout. Fortunately, the little tool arrived quickly. I had no problem getting the trigger working properly again and it is currently set at 1.5lbs. I'd be interested in knowing two things as I moved forward.

1. What is the recommended trigger pull weight range for the Accutrigger? I don't want it set too light.

2. What is the recommended torque spec for the action bolts on the 112 BVSS w/ laminated stock?
    I have the accutrigger on my Axis adjusted as light as it will go without acting wonky. There comes a point where it won't trigger reliably.

Banned
    Thats where completely NEW springs come into play. This is the problem with “adjustable” pull. It’s not lowering the force, or rather the load. It’s actually lowering the spring rate. Unfortunately, at the cost of Preload, which is why the Accutrigger starts tripping like it does when lowered too much. By using the same length spring but of thinner wire diameter, and/or fewer coils spaced further apart, the actual load is reduced while maintaining proper Preload.

The other problem, which I’ve commented on before, is when swapping to the Target spring, while leaving the stock Safety Lever spring in place. The Safety Lever spring ends up being too heavy, thereby the whole trigger moves (releasing the Sear), before the Safety Blade is pushed clear. To remedy this I use completely different springs altogether, keeping the Safety Lever spring lighter than the Trigger spring. Along with my stoning and using the Ti shims I make, my Accutriggers are fine & dandy; considering the cost of virtually nill!

Thank you all for your informative responses. I don't know which Accutriiger is in this rifle and my brother tossed out the box, papers and tools. The trigger is currently set at 1.5lbs so maybe it is the Varmint version. I think I'll take CFJunkie's advice and readjust the trigger to 2lbs, just to keep things on the safe side.

To add to my original post: My brother has (subsequently) advised me that when he first started shooting that day everything seemed normal but after about 20 rounds the trigger started acting up and got more problematic until it quit altogether. The adjustment apparently just backed out under use. I thought it was something that I did when I removed the internal mag and installed the ss sled, but apparently not.

Thanks again to all those who responded. You guys are a wealth of information.

Basic Member
    If the factory setting backed out in only 20 rounds, you better get out the LocTite.
    Two of my triggers loosened up after 2,000 rounds or more.
    5 of them never have loosened at all, even without LocTite.

Quote Originally Posted by CFJunkie View Post
    If the factory setting backed out in only 20 rounds, you better get out the LocTite.
    Two of my triggers loosened up after 2,000 rounds or more.
    5 of them never have loosened at all, even without LocTite.
    My brother is a relatively new shooter. I bought him the 112BVSS to get him started in centerfire. He has been shooting the rifle seasonally for a few years. I put the ss follower in for him this winter. The other day was his first outing of the spring. He got about 20 rounds off that morning. The trigger spring could have backed out over a couple of years. It could have been resulting in a lighter trigger pull over time. I can'r be sure because I don't shoot the rifle.