Thread: Savage 110 tactical 6.5 CM models process of elimination

Savage 110 tactical 6.5 CM models process of elimination

I cannot figure out the real differences in these rifles. One has some kind of coating, another a heavy barrel described in the specs and another has an extra sling lug for a tripod.

I would enjoy hearing from owners of any of these rifles for their input!

Savage Tactical 6.5 Creedmoor models

SAVAGE 110 TACTICAL DESERT model 57008

Savage 110 TACTICAL model 57232

SAVAGE 110 RIDGE WARRIOR OVERWATCH model 23201

Banned
    The Tactical & Desert Tactical use Carbon Steel for Barrel/Action, where as the Ridge Warrior uses Cerakoted Stainless Steel for Barrel/Action. (This is the biggest difference among them.)

The Tactical & Ridge Warrior both use Fluted Barrels, the Desert Tactical has no Flutes.

Other than those differences, these rifles are the same. All are TBR, use the same 20MOA Rail & Accutrigger. All have threaded barrels for Muzzle attachment or Suppressor. All use 24” Heavy Barrels. All use the Accustock. Mostly comes down to which color stock do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    The Tactical & Desert Tactical use Carbon Steel for Barrel/Action, where as the Ridge Warrior uses Cerakoted Stainless Steel for Barrel/Action. (This is the biggest difference among them.)

The Tactical & Ridge Warrior both use Fluted Barrels, the Desert Tactical has no Flutes.

Other than those differences, these rifles are the same. All are TBR, use the same 20MOA Rail & Accutrigger. All have threaded barrels for Muzzle attachment or Suppressor. All use 24” Heavy Barrels. All use the Accustock. Mostly comes down to which color stock do you prefer?
    Cerakoted stainless sounds impressive over carbon steel.
    Fluted barrels stay cooler?

Not really a fan of busy cerakoting and would prefer black or OD….but of the three—-ridge warrior?

Banned
    Stainless is nice. Given the same price, I’d get stainless.(although I’m no fan of the Camo stock. But that’s your call.) I like stainless if only for it’s for better corrosion properties. The fluting of the barrel is for a bit of weight savings. It doesn’t make the barrel cooler. Weight savings, and honestly for style.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadMatrix View Post
    Cerakoted stainless sounds impressive over carbon steel.
    Fluted barrels stay cooler?

Not really a fan of busy cerakoting and would prefer black or OD….but of the three—-ridge warrior?
    Stainless isn't really a home run.... it has its advantages and its disadvantages. I wouldn't worry between the two.

As far as fluted barrels staying cooler- yes and no.... with a side of maybe. It depends how you compare it. If you have two identical barrels and then you flute the one barrel then it does have more surface area to dissipate heat.... but it also has less mass to absorb the heat.

Also- there's the debate about rigidity with fluting. If you have those same 2 barrels and the one is fluted and the other not then the idea was that the fluted barrel would be more rigid. I don't see how removing material from a barrel can make it stiffer-- but what I can see is if you had 2 barrels of different contours (but same length) that each weighed 6 pounds then the fluted barrel would be more rigid than the non-fluted.

All of this is the long way of saying if you like the looks of the fluted barrel then get it-- but don't plan on any other big benefit (besides weight reduction).

Stainless is nice. Given the same price, I’d get stainless.(although I’m no fan of the Camo stock. But that’s your call.) I like stainless if only for it’s for better corrosion properties. The fluting of the barrel is for a bit of weight savings. It doesn’t make the barrel cooler. Weight savings, and honestly for style.
    Yeah, i don’t like the busy-ness of a camo stock. This will be a range gun since I only hunt paper. I don’t know the weight savings in a fluted barrel, may be insignificant, but will more weight-possibly resist recoil.

TBR?
    thank you for fleecing out the differences in the rifles…

The dessert is definitely out so it is down to the two.

The pvd coating i think is a function for the stainless. They both are fluted, which i think would add to geometric rigidity from the contours.

Essentially the same rifles unless advantages of barrel material outweighs the other or the presence of sling lug for a tripod.

Given what you have shown, The tactical is the less expensive because there is no ceracoating.

Banned
    I’m sorry, TBR is Top Bolt Release. It’s a common acronym used here, as is BBR for Bottom Bolt Release.