Thread: My Base Class Build/Setup

My Base Class Build/Setup

Decided to take the plunge into trying competitive rim fire shooting.

Was planning to run my CZ 457 CDN in my first (ORPS) OUTLAW RIMFIRE PRECISION match (Canadian version of NRL22) but my first match was calling for some really nasty weather and I was concerned with dinging up the rather nice wood stock. So a dedicated weather proof rifle for this was a better option and I placed the order (incidentally the match got canceled the next day lol).

I opted for a Savage B22 FV SS And got to work setting it up for what I felt would be ideal as a Base class rifle (big savage rimfire fan both because every one I have ever shots been a great shooter (maybe a bit less refined feeing than the CZ’s) and also because there made here in Ontario Canada.

But specs are as follows:
    -B22 FV SS
    -MDT 30moa rail
    -Vortex Pro Low mount rings
    -Bushnell Match Pro 6-24x50 scope
    -Champion 9-13” pivoting bipod
    -Cheap kadex adjustable cheek riser (amazon special)
    -Filled stock with expanding foam for a bit more sound deadening and rigidity.
    -Painted the butt plate with rubberized truck bed liner for more grip (May do a few more coats of this)
    -cheap Amazon shooting bag I filled with floor dry(I’m a mechanic it’s what I had on hand).

Took it out yesterday for its first test as a completed setup (I had it out in stock trim a few times so had about 400rnds at this point). I Did a bit of ammo testing with a bunch of different rounds at the 100yard range. The rifle definitely seemed to prefer the SK long range match but also did well with Eley Contact and CCI GreenTag. Plan is to run the eley for the match I believe as it was the best cost vs performance factor. The Sk will be saved for CRPS shooting (100-400yards competitive shooting when I try that). The green tag was kind of a disappointment for its cost and in all reality will become practice ammo until I’m all out and will be replenished with more Eley Contact.

All shot at 100yards Left row was CCI SV , middle CCI Green Tag, right SK Long range match. The Eley was shot on a different target but was some were between the green tag and SK averaging around the 1” -1.5” mark. All were 5 shot groups except for a 10 shot group on the bottom of the CCI GreenTag cause well I was having fun. Over
    All I’m very please with this rifles performance and can’t wait for the match at the end of the month to really test it. More so I really enjoyed to process of picking out planning and setting up/testing this. I think it turned out well and I honest like the look feel and shape of the plastic stock mixed with the stainless action and barrel.

Basic Member
    My Savage likes SK Rifle Match quite a bit.

Team Savage
    Have you considered a tuner? Or pillar bedding? I am still considering the Walmart special Mark II just to get the Boyds Adj. Stock and the threaded barrel.