Thread: Accutrigger - unable to depress safety blade far enough to release

Team Savage

Accutrigger - unable to depress safety blade far enough to release

Putting together a 223 using a Mod11 action and Choate tactical stock. I couldn't get the OEM accutrigger below 3lbs, so I swapped in a target spring, now it's at 2lbs where I want it. I had to dremel the stock in the area of the top bolt release to be able to depress the tab far enough to slide the bolt in and out. With the action and barrel mounted and torqued to 50 in/lb, the trigger does not function as it should. When pressing the center area of the trigger, it will not release. If it does, it's a "clunk", not a snap. Pressing the far lower area of the trigger, it will release with the proper sound. I know it's the safety blade working as it does, but where is the mechanism binding? I'm certain I'm pulling straight back, regardless of where my finger is positioned. Using a spring gauge, it's impossible to release the sear if pulling straight back on the center of the trigger. Pulling down near the tip of the trigger, the sear will release at 2lbs. What is preventing the safety blade from being depressed fully in the center of the trigger?<br>
    I'm waiting for delivery of a Rifle Basix 1. I wonder if I'm missing something that will not be resolved by removing the stock accutrigger. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Does it do the same thing when the action is out of the stock?
    If not then something is binding when you put it in the stock.
    If it still does it then Try adjusting the accutrigger to add more pull weight, like a half turn or full turn, to see if it clears the issue.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    Does it do the same thing when the action is out of the stock?
    If not then something is binding when you put it in the stock.
    If it still does it then Try adjusting the accutrigger to add more pull weight, like a half turn or full turn, to see if it clears the issue.
    This!

Banned
    So here’s the thing.. the “Target Model” Accutriggers with the Red blade have several completely different parts. The trigger spring everyone buys is lighter, yes… however, so is the spring on the safety blade. I’m willing to bet you have it set light enough that the spring for the trigger is depressing BEFORE the Safety Blade spring can fully depress.

Team Savage
    The trigger will function when out of the stock. When pulling straight back in the center of the trigger, the sound is duller than when pulled closer to the tip of the trigger blade. I will pursue both the stock and spring issues after the holiday. I see no apparent contact points on the plastic in the trigger inlet area.

I wouldn’t worry so much about the sound it makes. Only that it functions fine.
    So it does work fine when out of the stock. The trigger locking up is the safety feature of the accutrigger. Usually for sideways movement when pulling the blade back(like if a tree branch slipped in there while you’re walking thru woods or something).
    But it can also happen if the accutrigger is adjusted too light. Dave brings up a good point about also changing out the lever spring as well. I do have to say though that I also have a trigger setup like yours with just the rear target spring and it functions fine at 1.5lbs(was 3lb before the spring change). That however doesn’t mean that isn’t your issue because my blade spring could be a tad lighter than yours or something to make mine work. You can prove this issue by adding pull weight to see if it goes away like I mentioned above.

By chance the trigger is t hitting one side of the trigger guard is it? Just something else to give it a sideways pull that can cause this.

Basic Member
    The back end of the trigger is bottoming out on the stock. This prevents the sear from disengaging all the way.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Team Savage
    This is it. The safety blade contacts the trigger guard when pressing the middle area of the trigger. Thanks for the feedback from all.

Awesome! Glad you got it figured out. A little dremel work on the trigger guard and you should be good.