Thread: Hello from Louisiana

Hello from Louisiana

I’ve had a lifetime shooting Savage rifles and enjoyed every minute of it. I’ve had 12s in 6BR, several 10’s including a 22-250 that fired one .250” 5 hot group at 100. I’ve had several of the beautiful Euro-American in fancy stocks from 223 to 260 REM. It’s been fun. I enjoyed developing loads for each gun and caliber. Savage has never let me down, EXCEPT…….. dropping the MSR line of AR types. Don’t know how that came about. My 224 Valkyrie is a sweet gun. But alas, scarcity ammo is bringing me to replace barrel and bolt to convert to 223 Wylde. We, the market really needed a fully researched and well executed BRANDED series of ARs that would perpetuate the value to customers and gun valuation on going. Now I’m left with a questionable weapon in the minds of buyers because the known manufacturer exited the field without good explanation. But I still use and Value Savage. I’ll be picking your brains in future posts.

Banned
    Welcome. Always glad to meet another Savage fan.

There won’t be any questions regarding your MSR. It’s an AR15. It accepts the same parts that every other AR15 uses. Most of the parts aren’t even proprietary Savage. Like almost every other AR15 branding company, they simply assemble AR’s. So, no worries there.

Team Savage
    welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Welcome. Always glad to meet another Savage fan.

There won’t be any questions regarding your MSR. It’s an AR15. It accepts the same parts that every other AR15 uses. Most of the parts aren’t even proprietary Savage. Like almost every other AR15 branding company, they simply assemble AR’s. So, no worries there.

Thanks for the reply but I an unclear based on other member posts on this site. Reports in posts of nonstandard (not mil spec) barrel nuts on both AR15 and AR10 barrels. I bought what I thought was a very close facsimile of a milspec AR. What proprietary parts are non-mil spec parts are in a MSR 15 224 Valkyrie?

Banned
    Forget the words “Mil Spec”. When we get right down to it, NONE of the parts are Mil Spec… However, being Mil Spec & having the same ability to fit an AR15 are not synonymous. Rest assured: if you want 223, the only parts required are Barrel & Bolt. Everything else is interchangeable. A new Gas Block might be a good idea, but I would need to see which one yours has, as they used a few different gas blocks.

Now, the easiest overall should be simply building yourself a new Upper in 223. This is good because you would essentially have two different cartridge capability.

And if you want to understand it better, I suggest researching the term “Mil Spec”. Where it came from, what it means exactly, and why in the AR15 world, it was complete BS!

Called customer service today. Gave them my serial number and that wanted to make sure an after market mil spec barrel. Answer - NO. The MSR 15 has a mil spec lower but a proprietary upper. AND, ALL MSR10’s ARE PROPRIETARY UPPERS AND LOWERS.